Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,827 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm in the process of having a new web site designed for a personal one on one shop at home window treatment business. Can anyone please provide some expert techno info on how to go about increasing the ranking for my site on google? I've been getting varied opinions and really don't know who's correct.

One suggestion was inserting obvious key words. Another was to insert the list of towns that I would be serving at the bottom of the page...but was told by another person that google frowns upon this.

Not sure if this is a joke...but was told to have random family and friends click on my web site daily to help increase traffic in bringing up the ranking. Would this work?

Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Very hard to get to the first page unless you have many links to popular websites, buy keywords from google or have a unique product that will be searched for by a special keyword combo.

Its take a well planned out mission to get to the first page of google.

Everything has to be in place to get there.

You would have to have massive amount of people going to your website to get it even recognized.

Links to other popular websites are very important.

Also dig into use of google keywords to see if your type of business has any keywords that you can use.

Google keeps track of keywords typed in and website owners pay decent money for hot keywords.

If you are hiring someone to build your website and they do not know how to market it, hire someone else.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Its take a well planned out mission to get to the first page of google.
It's easy if you know how to do it.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I agree it's fairly easy depending on what you are advertising. The more niche product you have the easier it is to do. And linking outbound doesn't help any, I've ranked a workers compensation therapy web site in the top five of Google's results with zero outbound links for a generic "workers compensation therapy" keyword search - and it wasn't even a good web site. I kinda threw it together quickly. In fact I just checked its still there.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 PM

35 posts, read 68,876 times
I think you got to put the meta data properly and see where google brings the website on top if not you have to go in for SEO work which will bring your website on top.
provided the SEO(search engine optimization) should be done properly.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 AM

11 posts, read 23,842 times
Hi tony,

Its not that difficult to get on first page of google.

It involves promotional activities.
What is ur product?
For which keywords u want to rank.
For which location u want target.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:15 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
There is no reliable way to do it as Google routinely makes adjustments to make sure that page rankings are not abused. I have heard people tell me that if you sign up for an adsense account from them, then it moves you higher in the page rankings though Google denies that.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
It's called SEO or search engine optimization. Better known as google optimization. It cost me $1500 + a monthly fee. but if anyone doing a search within a set geographic boundry looking for my product they will see me in one of the top 3 hits. The searcher does not even have to type in the city + the product, only the product. Google knows where the searcher lives and does all the work.

One can play with key words themselves but it does not work as well but you can try. Go to any web site. Right click anywhere on that site. Now in the drop down menu click on "view source". If you know how to program, I do not, you can find all the key words that were used when your site was designed. You may think of more now and can add them here.

Lets face it, humans are lazy. When they do a google search, they read only from the first page of 10 hits and click on one or several and give up. The rest of the hundreds of thousands of hits on the following pages will never be looked at.

The old saying that it cost money to make money is just as true when seeking more traffic to your web site.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 AM

233 posts, read 685,796 times
SEO is absolutely critical for being on the first page. Read a book or two on it if you haven't done so already.

Also focus on spreading via word-of-mouth, Youtube, post the link on blogs, utilize social networking sites, e-mail newsletters and RSS feeds etc. Check your traffic after you add new content and use the numbers to determine what will cause a spike; then create more of it. There are dozens of ways to promote a website. Some are dirt cheap or free, others cost money like desertsun suggested.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It's called SEO or search engine optimization. Better known as google optimization. It cost me $1500 + a monthly fee. but if anyone doing a search within a set geographic boundry looking for my product they will see me in one of the top 3 hits. The searcher does not even have to type in the city + the product, only the product. Google knows where the searcher lives and does all the work.

One can play with key words themselves but it does not work as well but you can try. Go to any web site. Right click anywhere on that site. Now in the drop down menu click on "view source". If you know how to program, I do not, you can find all the key words that were used when your site was designed. You may think of more now and can add them here.

Lets face it, humans are lazy. When they do a google search, they read only from the first page of 10 hits and click on one or several and give up. The rest of the hundreds of thousands of hits on the following pages will never be looked at.

The old saying that it cost money to make money is just as true when seeking more traffic to your web site.
ding ding ding... my company does this and we charge around that per year at a minimum, even more if you are in like nyc or something... we analyze all competition and match it up to google algorithms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business