Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 AM

13 posts, read 59,517 times

Advertisements

I wanna apply to U of Calgary, I heard it's a great school but the question is what's the city like? Are the people there friendly? How's the nightlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,139,084 times
People are friendly enough. I don't know your expectations but you will be able to meet people. There are many young students living there who go to U of C for school. It'a a pretty big city so it won't be hard to find people. Honestly, Nightlife is pretty poor though. Most of the nightlife is on 17th ave. which is pretty trendy. Calgary has pretty bad nightlife when compared to other cities it's size so it's not that great, but you can still find some cool clubs and spots to hang out in the city.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
Strange member name.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM

377 posts, read 1,696,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
Calgary has pretty bad nightlife when compared to other cities it's size so it's not that great
Like?

I would take Calgary nightlife over Edmonton, Ottawa, and outside of Canada Tucson, AZ, Austin, TX are comparable in size.

It may not be Toronto or even Vegas, but it's say Calgary nightlife is pretty good for a city hovering just north of 1M residents.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM

311 posts, read 1,139,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Like?

I would take Calgary nightlife over Edmonton, Ottawa, and outside of Canada Tucson, AZ, Austin, TX are comparable in size.

It may not be Toronto or even Vegas, but it's say Calgary nightlife is pretty good for a city hovering just north of 1M residents.
Actually Edmonton has much better nightlife. Sure the downtown isn't as nice, but the nightlife and club scene is much better in Edmonton than Calgary. Ottawa, I'm not sure about though. But Downtown Calgary pretty much get's dead after 5pm when work is finished.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:02 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
I'm a Calgarian, and it sucks compared to Edmonton, and don't dream of putting it even near Austin. Heck Austin is closer to Vegas and New York than Calgary.

UofC is great for Engineering and Commerce, it's a pretty "new" university, so it's lacking the aged ivey'd grounds and historical buildings. Good connections to transit, great access to the Mountains and overall a pretty good place.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM

28 posts, read 102,160 times
I agree with MikeYYC. I'm a Calgarian and the night life is dreadful. Much of it is centered around 17th Ave SW (called the Red Mile). Most of the clubs attempt to be "upscale" but are just carbon copies of each other. If over priced drinks and vapid people are your thing, you'll like it. Edmonton has far more "soul" than Calgary. Canmore and Banff have a more dynamic nightlife than Calgary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary