Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,337 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I will be relocating to Calgary by year end.
I would appreciate any advise, do's, don'ts or advise on where to look for places to live, budget for rent or overall living expenses and ....

Also i'm 40 years old single guy, and don't know that many people in Calgary. any suggestions on the places to hang out and activities to make friends?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:51 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,315,098 times
Since you're coming from the banks of the river Dee, I'll make the assumption that you're in O&G.

A lot of the answer depends on what kind of lifestyle you want. If you're looking to go out, be in the action etc. you probably want to look for a place around the beltline/mission/Kensington. If your desire is to own a home with a yard, garage, and so on, there's no shortage of suburban neighbourhoods. Or if your pursuits are outdoorsy, looking for a place somewhere like Cochrane and making the commute in could be a solution.

A lot of the market is in flux at the moment with the current pricing, so the best bet is to make the trip, find some short term housing and decide what moves you.

You'll find people in Calgary a lot like home. Reasonably dry sense of humour, and tend to be buttoned up until you get to know them, and then there's no issues.

17th avenue SW would be a lot like Union Street, but without the historic buildings. You'll find Calgary colder in the winter, but far, far sunnier, and obviously, less humidity.

Overall, the change shouldn't be extremely dramatic.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,337 times
Thanks Mikeyyc,

Sounds like you are either from Aberdeen, or have been here before..
Besides the weather, how does the Calgary's living expenses compare to Aberdeen?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:24 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,315,098 times
I've been a few times for work, and I have lots of co-workers there.

Housing will be less. You'll get a bit more for about the same money, but in CAD$ instead of pounds. So if you were half a million pounds in Aberdeen, you could get roughly the same for half a million dollars.

Fuel is cheap, comprably speaking, and vehicles are about the same price, but again with the conversion from Pounds to Dollars. Basically you're looking at being flat in terms of price, but you're getting a 50% discount based on the exchange.

It's been a number of years since I lived in Calgary, and I always owned my own home/lived in a family home, so I'm not up on the rental market at all. You can check kijiji.ca to get a baseline, and that should be a decent guide.

Best Indian is Glory of India on 3rd ave between 4th and 5th street. It's probably a bit better than Nazma.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,537 times
Default Calgary's Good Times!

Hi,
Welcome to Calgary. I recommend just going downtown to the pubs along 17th ave. Easy to meet people as most are pretty friendly. The only thing that pisses me off about Calgary is the drivers. Although I drive all over the place for work everyday so maybe it just seems that way to me, but man, a lot of stupid people on the road for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary