Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM

22 posts, read 97,092 times

Advertisements

is Calgary or Edmonton still has low employment rate this 2009? how does Recession affecting this 2 cities?

is it still advice able for new immigrants to land in Calgary or Edmonton for fast employment?

i hvnt been to Calgary or Edmonton but i've been in Toronto as a tourist and as an observation with landed immigrant ive interviewed in TO, they say that it took them 6-9mos before getting a job..

thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelph View Post
is Calgary or Edmonton still has low employment rate this 2009? how does Recession affecting this 2 cities?

is it still advice able for new immigrants to land in Calgary or Edmonton for fast employment?

i hvnt been to Calgary or Edmonton but i've been in Toronto as a tourist and as an observation with landed immigrant ive interviewed in TO, they say that it took them 6-9mos before getting a job..

thanks in advance..
Canada and especially Alberta has a very cyclical boom/bust economy. One of the problems of having an economy with primary resource extraction as one of the major drivers. The oil and gas industry is representative of this. Right now, Alberta is trending downward towards a bust. Costs in Alberta and Western Canada are out of proportion with resource prices at the moment. I've had a few friends laid off in the last few weeks alone.

No, I would say stay where you are until either the economy picks up again in Alberta where people are hiring again, or wait until the cost of living comes down here.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM

thats sad to hear about AB, do u think WPG or PQ is better as of this moment? with its cheap cost of living..?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelph View Post
thats sad to hear about AB, do u think WPG or PQ is better as of this moment? with its cheap cost of living..?
If you do a google search you will find that SK and MB are the two provinces that are still doing relatively well. QC, ON and the Maritimes are not doing well.
Make it a habit to read cbc.ca daily and globaltv.com to get familiar with whats going on in your future country.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If you do a google search you will find that SK and MB are the two provinces that are still doing relatively well. QC, ON and the Maritimes are not doing well.
I would say Saskatchewan and Manitoba is your best bet. Very diversified economy, realistic cost of living, underpopulated part of the world (meaning opportunity to start new business) and the taxes are on the lower end of the Canadian spectrum. Great people (and good looking people) as well.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
I would say Saskatchewan and Manitoba is your best bet. Very diversified economy, realistic cost of living, underpopulated part of the world (meaning opportunity to start new business) and the taxes are on the lower end of the Canadian spectrum. Great people (and good looking people) as well.
Saskatchewan's economy seems to be a little more cyclical, though not as bad as Alberta's. Manitoba seems to be a little more even.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM

thanks Ajau and Minibrings.. i appreciate the answers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary