Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,914 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to LA or San Francisco/Bay Area but will have to end my current relationship to do so. Perhaps I'm just paranoid and this should not be a factor in where I decide to move, but I'm slightly worried about my dating prospects once I move. To give context, I'm 30, Asian-American, college-educated white collar professional (yuppie, I guess), above-average looks but not a knockout by any means - probably a 6.5, size 6, 5'7. I'd prefer to move to LA, and I'm under the impression that LA has proportionally more straight, single guys in their late 20s-mid 30s but I'm wondering if most of them, at least the ones with any brains/education/income/decent looks, only want to date actress/model type females since there are so many in LA. And I'm probably not interested in dating a struggling actor/screenwriter or someone over 45/under 26. I don't care if the guy has super-deep pockets, but I do want the pockets to be deep enough that I'm not the one paying for all the dates/his upkeep. I know Silicon Valley has a lot of single, straight men but I'd be in SF proper anyway, where I think things are probably more difficult for someone like me.
I don't really have a race/religion preference, and don't think my standards are unreasonable, except that I'd like someone taller than me and in decent shape, and at least as intelligent as me. I'm in no huge rush to marry and have kids, but would like to at least meet some people with whom I can see that being a possibility.
None of this would have been a concern for me five years ago when I was younger and hotter, but now I can't help myself. Am I worrying for nothing?

Last edited by ViolentScarlet; 06-27-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:30 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,277 times
In Spokane,Wa. you are a 10+, think about it.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Hmm,

I think you have a misconception regarding LA. Remember LA is the largest county in the nation with ~ 10 million ppl. And the majority of single men are Not looking to date some movie star. I grew up in LA and the whole Hollywood scene to me was the last place I went to looking for a date. Keep in mind LA is a huge economic center with great schools like UCLA, USC, CalTech, etc... and there are many large corporations there are well. LA is the Aerospace capital of the West Coast, some would even argue the world.

While living in the South Bay area and working in Aerospace I had many Asian friends your age who I worked with. There is a large Asian presence there. But the city is also fully diverse in many ways - race, religion, socio-economic status, etc... And there are many straight yuppie males. So I don't think you would necassaily have a hard time meeting someone. Most would depend on you and how you go about meeting people. I always recommend looking for ppl with common interests whether that be through taking surfing lessons, joining a hiking club, taking a class at the local college, joining a church or synagogue, etc... This is a much more relaxing environment to meet ppl your own age and simply get to know them vs. going to the clubs/bars.

Although I prefer living along the Central Coast now, I think LA may be better for you than SF based on what you are describing.

Hope that helps some,

Derek

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Why end a relationship just to move to the second failing state in the US (the first being Michigan)?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 PM

286 posts, read 535,343 times
Don't come here looking for a guy, that's a really foolish idea, like something I would do.

Come to California if you there is something here to improve your life like a great job.

I'll bet there are lots of great guys in your area (maybe I should move near you??), you just have not run into them. You're so very young, give yourself a chance.

Do something crazy when you reach my age and all your chances are washed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: