Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times

Advertisements

I'm taking off today because I am tired of these excuses from California natives discouraging others from moving there! What's the big idea?! Okay, California is expensive. SO?! Okay, there's alot of illegals. SO?! Okay, so there's smog and the air quality is low. SO?! It's the same excuses time after time after time from people always saying how newcomers shouldn't move there. I am beginning to assume perhaps you just want California all to yourselves! That's why you can't wait to get the illegals and the actors/actresses out of there. So you can keep California to yourselves with your beaches and sunsets and good weather! You think other people don't want that too?! We're stuck in blazing freaking 100 degree heat and humidity or freaking zero degree celsius freezing weather while you Californians are roasting on a tanning bed awaiting your cherry mocha from the waiter at the Beverly Hills relaxation spa! Or you got the surfers from La Jolla going down to the shore at noon, party in the Gas Lamp at night, eat, drink, sleep to do it all over again the next day. What?! You know what my day consist of? Waking up in sweat, can't turn on the AC because it's $200 dollars, can't open the window because there's no wind, getting on the computer, planning my escape from this nowhere town in SW FL, eat 1 or 2 meals a day, drink Soda avidly, cut the grass in 100 degree heat, get the garbage out, clean up, get on the computer again, plan my escape, and I go to sleep to do it all over the next day. I can't go outside because there is nothing to do and it is either hot as fire or raining like there's no tommorrow. I don't have a job because there are no jobs! I can't go anywhere because I have no car and public transportation sucks. I can't hang out with friends because people here are fake or nasty and want to do other stuff. I can't reflect on the natural beauty of the landscape because there is none! I am left pathetically and miserably to look at pictures and videos of California longing for the day I go there. Come on now! California may have it's problems but it's not so crowded or currupt you have to discourage other people from moving there like it's going to be hell on earth. You don't know how good you have it! And then you want to keep it all to yourselves and try to selfishly put all the excuses in the book as to why others shouldn't move there. That's not right! At least some of us have a solid plan in mind and a plan A,B, & C to fall back on. You got sad cases like the kid who was planning to move to freaking Frisco and live in his truck and on welfare?! And we're wrong because we actually have a GOOD plan NOT to live in a car and NOT to smooch off the government? All because we want to focus on our dreams?! WOOOOOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Enthusiasm is always a good start, reality may be somewhat more challenging though.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Allen,

I really don't think there is any way to discourage someone once there mind is made up. Even the teenage wanna be actor/actress will most likely give it a go just to get out of podunkville USA for a while. What many Californians forget is that most of our relatives did the same thing. They headed out west with a few dreams of a new life and not much else. And sometimes you have to let people experience the good, the bad and the ugly for themselves. Some will make it and some won't. That's just the cold, hard reality of life in California. But even for those who it doesn't work out for at least they will have given it try.

On the other hand a lot of times ppl have a grass-is-greener, rose colored glasses mindset completely out of touch with reality. So advice is given to help them realize what it is really like here. I think that is fine. As long someone opens their mind enough to try and learn the pros/cons of a place before moving that is a good thing.

And yes, like any state, there are some who would discourage anyone from moving here. But I don't think that is the majority of posters here. The majority I think are trying to give advice and wake people up a bit to what life is really like in CA. Some are a little more smug than others in doing so. That is probably just their personality and not necessarily reflective of the majority of Californians. Keep in mind that CA is the most populous state in the Union. So we have people represented from every state here. That equates to many, many non-natives! And no one can hold the door shut on you or anyone else - its a free country! So just take it with a grain of salt and disregard advice that is telling you to stay put if your mind is already made up. But on the flipside don't close your mind when reality based advice is given. Not everyone is trying to tell you to stay home, but rather to think about what you are doing first before making your move.

Derek

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
honestly, I don't care that much that there are illegals on the other side of town living 10 to a 2br apartment, but I do care that they are a strain on the state's resources, since they use the health care and educational systems without paying into it. The very least they could do is pay into the government programs that enable their livelihood here.

and also, if I'm not mistaken, CA has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, so I don't think your job situation would improve here, anyways. and if living in FL without a car sucks, living in CA without a car will suck at least as much.

we can't wait to get the actors and actresses out? they're part of the mystique of this place!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
I stopped reading about 3 lines into this massive rant. I pretty much got the point of it. Every state to a point has this opinion. I know several states are sick of Californians moving into their states.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't have a job because there are no jobs! I can't go anywhere because I have no car and public transportation sucks. I can't hang out with friends because people here are fake or nasty and want to do other stuff.
Yeah...California's the perfect place to get away from that scenario...

Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
You can't afford a car but want to move to one of the priciest areas in the most expensive state in the country?

You don't think that sounds kind of ridiculous?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Allen,

I really don't think there is any way to discourage someone once there mind is made up. Even the teenage wanna be actor/actress will most likely give it a go just to get out of podunkville USA for a while.
You mean like the thread starter?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Ah yes, everyone in California tans, surfs, and stares at sunsets all day. No one works, takes the trash out, mows the lawn in the heat, or does any other mundane tasks. This fantasy people have about California being the land of milk and honey is why we ridicule clueless high school kids like you.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Yeah, the other responses are correct. Nobody is discouraging people from moving to California but the state is the most populous and opportunities are generally not good during this serious recession. The OP describes a California that may not even be close to reality for most people. But pretty much everything he wrote could also apply to Florida if a person is wealthy that is. BTW, it is forecast to be 110F in Palm Springs today so not everywhere in California has cool weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California