Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Yep. Time to sit back for the next three months while the Demos and Repubs dig their feet in and refuse to budge an inch.

Time was, there was this concept employed. The concept was called "compromise". Sadly this concept died out in the later part of the 20th century.

I remember as a kid hearing about people having meetings and agreeing to "negotiate". Since that term has not been used in politics for over 30 years I had to look it up. Basically it means that you give a little and the other guy gives a little and you meet half way. Everyone gets some of what they deem important. Part of the process is realizing that you are doing this for the greater good of the people (another archaic concept). Especially when you realize that only half the population agrees with your agenda.

Thank you for taking the time to read my little rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
While I don't disagree with you, I'd add that the current economic environment with the severe downturn in state revenue does make for a rather difficult atmosphere.

I know that supporters of both sides have strong reactions to that comment, one side saying "good, they spend too much on crap" and the other side saying "rich folks are selfish and buy influence", the bottom line is that they have a difficult atmosphere to work in at this time.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
While I don't disagree with you, I'd add that the current economic environment with the severe downturn in state revenue does make for a rather difficult atmosphere.

I know that supporters of both sides have strong reactions to that comment, one side saying "good, they spend too much on crap" and the other side saying "rich folks are selfish and buy influence", the bottom line is that they have a difficult atmosphere to work in at this time.
I think the bottom line is that they've created a difficult, if not impossible, atmosphere to work in. The sheer partisanship and accompanying divide almost ensures that what comes out at the end of the pipeline will be something nobody likes. Oh, and never mind the will of the people. Not a consideration!

Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Yes. Everyone owes someone something so nobody can actually do anything.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think the bottom line is that they've created a difficult, if not impossible, atmosphere to work in. The sheer partisanship and accompanying divide almost ensures that what comes out at the end of the pipeline will be something nobody likes. Oh, and never mind the will of the people. Not a consideration!
Actually, the people are part of the problem, too. Those who are well off don't want to pay more taxes for a high tax state for what they view as a wasteful state government. Government workers and those who receive more in taxes than they pay in services think tax increases will solve all the problems and that their little bit doesn't amount to much.

I tend to lean toward cutting spending and services. But I'd be willing to go for moderately stiff tax increases on gasoline, tobacco, and alcohol. But taxes on those items will not fix (in my opinion) the underlying lack of fiscal discipline.

There needs to be a serious action on: 1. pensions for government workers and 2. reducing services wherever possible to people here illegally. 3. A whole new prevention oriented service model for health care. We're blowing a lot of money on the "pills and surgery" service model for health care and not really getting much for it. This model isn't working and it's time the state did something about it for the people on the MediCal rolls as well as for the taxpayers.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Actually, the people are part of the problem, too
Yes. And you know what? Nothing scares me more than a politician who says they want every issue to be voted on by "the people". Have you LIVED through a contentious CA election on any topic? It's ridiculous. And too many voters are completely uninformed. I vote to put people in office to make the tough choices and prevent that kind of crap.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 AM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times
Proposition 25 is the solution.

California Proposition 25, Majority Vote for Legislature to Pass the Budget (2010) - Ballotpedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California