Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM

14 posts, read 40,695 times

Advertisements

Hello CA people

I am coming to the US in a month or so and I will be studying at Fresno State. I will need to buy a car, a used one. So, what is the best way to buy a used car that is cheap economical and practical? For example, a Toyota Corolla 2006 or 2007 for $5,000.00 - $7,000.00. I am not American.

Best Regards

stuckinfresno

ps- Fresnofacts, I know you will show up and reply fast. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Looks like you are doing lots of good planning.

First, California will allow you to drive while here if you have a valid drivers license from your home country (usually that applies to tourists renting a car temporarily). But California does not recognize the International Drivers Permit.

If you own a car you are required by the state to maintain insurance on it.

Since you will buy a car instead of renting one I believe insurance companies will require you to have a California Drivers License, not your home country license, to purchase an insurance policy.

There may be a company that will insure you and a car you buy with only your home country drivers license but I do not know for sure, maybe the university international student office or another international student you meet can answer that.

If it is true that you need a California Drivers License to get insurance for a car you want to own, info about getting the license is here.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm

I might recommend starting with looking at buying a car from a larger dealer since you are not familiar with US culture. There are many other ways to buy a car such as directly from a private individual (i.e. Craigslist ads, street sales, etc) and there are also small car sales businesses.

But I think you might be safer to stay with talking with a larger car sales dealer first while you learn US culture/laws and since you would not know anyone here to help you with things like dealing with the California Department of Motor Vehicles for registration/ownership transfer forms and paperwork. The dealer would handle those forms for you.

Be aware that some sales people employ high pressure sales tactics to convince you to buy a car. If you feel uncomfortable or pressured, walk away and go elsewhere.

There are several larger car dealers within walking distance of the campus (just across Freeway 168 from the campus on Shaw Avenue). There are also others a few miles north of the campus on Herndon Avenue or a few miles west of the campus on Blackstone Avenue. I'd start with the closer ones then look around.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
I would buy from a private seller and not a dealer. Basically the same car with double the price at the dealership. I would even look at bulletin boards on campus, always cars for sale from students. You might want to check Craigslist.com, some scams there but in autos you should be safe.
Make sure the seller provides a smog inspection, this could get very expensive if the car does not pass. In CA the seller is responsible for providing smog and passing smog.

In the past years I have seen oddities. In No CA many ads will state a price then add "plus ad and smog". Really all the same, in So CA it just is added to the price already, in No CA they want the price to seem lower and add later(or trying to buyer to be responsible for smog in case of not passing). Negotiate the price down, usually people add 10% for negotiating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinfresno View Post
,,,For example, a Toyota Corolla 2006 or 2007 for $5,000.00 - $7,000.00.
Toyota's resell high, you will likely not find that low of a price on those years.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Just looked, Toyota Corolla 2006 average price $9,500

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Looks like you are doing lots of good planning.

First, California will allow you to drive while here if you have a valid drivers license from your home country (usually that applies to tourists renting a car temporarily). But California does not recognize the International Drivers Permit.

If you own a car you are required by the state to maintain insurance on it.

Since you will buy a car instead of renting one I believe insurance companies will require you to have a California Drivers License, not your home country license, to purchase an insurance policy.

There may be a company that will insure you and a car you buy with only your home country drivers license but I do not know for sure, maybe the university international student office or another international student you meet can answer that.

If it is true that you need a California Drivers License to get insurance for a car you want to own, info about getting the license is here.
Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

I might recommend starting with looking at buying a car from a larger dealer since you are not familiar with US culture. There are many other ways to buy a car such as directly from a private individual (i.e. Craigslist ads, street sales, etc) and there are also small car sales businesses.

But I think you might be safer to stay with talking with a larger car sales dealer first while you learn US culture/laws and since you would not know anyone here to help you with things like dealing with the California Department of Motor Vehicles for registration/ownership transfer forms and paperwork. The dealer would handle those forms for you.

Be aware that some sales people employ high pressure sales tactics to convince you to buy a car. If you feel uncomfortable or pressured, walk away and go elsewhere.

There are several larger car dealers within walking distance of the campus (just across Freeway 168 from the campus on Shaw Avenue). There are also others a few miles north of the campus on Herndon Avenue or a few miles west of the campus on Blackstone Avenue. I'd start with the closer ones then look around.
Thanks a lot FresnoFacts

Old 07-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Just looked, Toyota Corolla 2006 average price $9,500
$9,500 I can't afford that. I am not Chelsie/Chelsee Clinton. However, thank you for what you did for me. a great help.
Maybe I will buy Accent 2000 -2005 , That might be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California