Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 AM

520 posts, read 3,920,748 times

Advertisements

The foreclosure thread got me thinking about this.

In CA, how easy/fast or slow/difficult is it to sell real estate property?
I ask because I am looking to relocate to CA in about 3 months.
In looking for a home, I've come across homes that have been on the market
for over 200 days. I just thought that was odd.

After a while, I'd either lower the price significantly and eat the loss or take the house off the marker.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
The market has definitely slowed down. The feeding frenzy days of putting in an offer over asking price and hoping to get a house, any house, are gone. People are taking their time deciding and overpriced houses are NOT selling. A lot of houses are going off the market after the listing contract expires. Realistically priced houses are still selling, just slower.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
We just recently sold our home in CA--Los Angeles county, San Fernando Valley. It was not on the market for very long but we were priced under the appraised value. I think many people in CA are still hoping to get the same prices that the homes were going for a year or two ago...a bit greedy. House prices aren't going up nearly as fast now and the demand is not as high. It was crazy a couple of years ago....you could just about put any price on a house and it would sell. My opinion is that probably many homes are over-priced and the buyers can see that. Every home I saw sell were priced lower then their appraised value. Keep looking..there are some good deals out there but it will take patience. Everyone seems to want to get rich quick!! They have seen neighbors/friends sell a couple of years ago and made some big bucks then they then moved to another state and are quite comfortable. But there are those realistic people who want to sell their homes and will price them fairly.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 06-22-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
If the house has been on the market 200 days its a good indication that its very overpriced. Buying a house in CA right now is not a very smart move, even the homes that are priced to sell are going to drop in price over the next couple of years. All the oddness you're seeing in the CA market is rather typical of a market that is about to crash.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
If the house has been on the market 200 days its a good indication that its very overpriced. Buying a house in CA right now is not a very smart move, even the homes that are priced to sell are going to drop in price over the next couple of years. All the oddness you're seeing in the CA market is rather typical of a market that is about to crash.
Or there is some other problem that is keeping it from selling that is not evident in an MLS listing - structural problems, pest infestations, locations, etc.

The houses I see sitting over 200 days are often houses no one would want to live in.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 PM

That too!! You can make most any house look okay in a picture online but when you see it in person....OH MY!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Or there is some other problem that is keeping it from selling that is not evident in an MLS listing - structural problems, pest infestations, locations, etc.
Yeah, but this isn't unrelated to the selling price. People purchase homes in bad locations, but just not for the same price as one in a good location etc. Although over the last 5-6 years sellers have just been looking at local comps and pricing theirs higher or equal regardless of any differences in location etc.
So, in the end the problem is ultimately the price of the home.

Quote:
That too!! You can make most any house look okay in a picture online but when you see it in person.
Ironically just a year ago realtors would post horrible pictures that made the property look worse and yet it would sell!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Oh yes, I remember that time. Like I posted earlier, you could almost name the price you wanted and be able to get darn close to the asking price. But those times are pretty much over for now I think. It was an insane time for reality in CA!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Realistically priced houses are still selling, just slower.
I agree with this.
But on some sites I've seen, even when the price is very realistic or close to the true value of the home, the homes aren't still aren't moving.

One site had a seller who was selling his home less than what he paid for when he first bought it.

Are higher priced homes harder to sell? It seems that those would be a steal if you could afford them.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
even when the price is very realistic or close to the true value of the home, the homes aren't still aren't moving.
How do you determine the "true value" of a home? If you use any sort of fundamental as your basis then I've yet to see a house that is even close to the "true value". Regardless, a home is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Quote:
One site had a seller who was selling his home less than what he paid for when he first bought it.
Why is this a big deal though? If you buy at the top of a bubble and then sell on the way down of course you're going to sell less for less than you bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California