Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM

123 posts, read 286,968 times

Advertisements

My husbands company is located in Tulare County, but we're willing to live in nearby counties depending on other factors. I was just wondering if someone might give me an idea on what to expect as far as the cost of utilities like water, trash, electric, etc. And what about land taxes? I know they're the highest in the country, but I'm not really sure what to expect exactly. We won't be relocating until next year, but I just need some blanks filled in to complete my thought train...

I've lived in places where the water bill was as low as 10 dollars a month for a family of 5, and then others that were over 100 a month, so I think it might be nice to find out from the locals firsthand what to expect. Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
I live in Kern county so I don't know about the costs in Tulare but I can say this, I like Tulare, they take much better care of their roads and their towns than Kern does, I think you will enjoy it. Tulare wont be as expensive as kern, here the water will run $40.00 to in the 80's, electricity is expensive all over the valley.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Hmm I'm not too sure about the exact amount on utilities but a household of 5 is about 500$ more or less.

Property tax is 1% in Tulare County.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 AM

20 posts, read 48,675 times
Tulare county is not expensive in regards to utilities. You will have an expensive air-conditioning bill June-Aug. TC is one of the most inexpensive places to live. Visalia, the county seat, is just now installing water meters on residential homes. So hard to know what the bills will be. Taxes are low. Air quality's the worst in the country. Schools are not great. Gangs are an issue, politics is conservative, and if you are not a white church goer, you are suspect.
Summers are hot and miserable, winters are cold, foggy, and miserable.

I grew up in the area, my family still lives there. I escaped.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromRenee View Post
Tulare county is not expensive in regards to utilities. You will have an expensive air-conditioning bill June-Aug. TC is one of the most inexpensive places to live. Visalia, the county seat, is just now installing water meters on residential homes. So hard to know what the bills will be. Taxes are low. Air quality's the worst in the country. Schools are not great. Gangs are an issue, politics is conservative, and if you are not a white church goer, you are suspect.

hahaha! This made me smile...that almost describes where I live now minus the air quality bit...At least there I'll be closer to family and better scenery. One thing is for sure...the grass is NOT greener, but at least the trees are bigger. har.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:34 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromRenee View Post

I have relatives in Visalia and visit off and on. It seems reasonably inexpensive compared to California overall. Your comment about the air quality caught my eye. I know that smog is becoming more an issue due to several reasons: the valley traps pollutants due to surrounding mountains, Bay Area smog is carried into the valley on afternoon winds, and farming stirs up dust and pollutants. But it is not the worse air quality in the country; Los Angeles has that sad distinction [or at least the Inland Empire east of LA]. Summers are hot in the San Joaquin valley but not humid so referring to it as "miserable" may be misleading. 90-100F for 3-4 months but evenings can be quite pleasant. Also winters are not "cold" in comparison to Ohio where the OP is from. Foggy and chilly nights with hazy and mild afternoons [mostly 50's] is typical during winter.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I have relatives in Visalia and visit off and on. It seems reasonably inexpensive compared to California overall. Your comment about the air quality caught my eye. I know that smog is becoming more an issue due to several reasons: the valley traps pollutants due to surrounding mountains, Bay Area smog is carried into the valley on afternoon winds, and farming stirs up dust and pollutants. But it is not the worse air quality in the country; Los Angeles has that sad distinction [or at least the Inland Empire east of LA]. Summers are hot in the San Joaquin valley but not humid so referring to it as "miserable" may be misleading. 90-100F for 3-4 months but evenings can be quite pleasant. Also winters are not "cold" in comparison to Ohio where the OP is from. Foggy and chilly nights with hazy and mild afternoons [mostly 50's] is typical during winter.
Don't think so sur. Visalia has been on the top for worst air quality in the nation during this summer. Pretty much the whole Central-Southern Inland California has been, but still Visalia seems to always rank as one of the worst, according to the site below.

AIRNow - Homepage

Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Just so happens dry heat is my kinda weather...Most of my family lives in Vegas and the weather there, to me, is perfect. I can't stand humidity. And 50's winter sounds splenderific...I hole myself up when the mercury drops below 40...and living here that means practically 4 months out of the year! Feels like I lose 1/3 of my year to boredom solely because of the temperature.

I"m not sure how I feel about the air quality issue...part of me is like "Meh.." but then, my husband has minor asthma and I'd hate to see it get worse...

Old 08-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkat View Post
Just so happens dry heat is my kinda weather...Most of my family lives in Vegas and the weather there, to me, is perfect. I can't stand humidity. And 50's winter sounds splenderific...I hole myself up when the mercury drops below 40...and living here that means practically 4 months out of the year! Feels like I lose 1/3 of my year to boredom solely because of the temperature.

I"m not sure how I feel about the air quality issue...part of me is like "Meh.." but then, my husband has minor asthma and I'd hate to see it get worse...
It will probably get worse. I never had allergies before I moved here for work three or four years ago, seems like a decade. Then again allergies affect people differently so who knows, maybe your hubby will escape being outside when the air quality is at it's worse. Well I'm planning on leaving this area for good by the end of next year.

One other thing, I love Mexican food and I haven't found a good one yet around here, considering the population of Mexicans I would think there was something of worth but... yeah not so much. :\

Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Don't think so sur. Visalia has been on the top for worst air quality in the nation during this summer. Pretty much the whole Central-Southern Inland California has been, but still Visalia seems to always rank as one of the worst, according to the site below.

AIRNow - Homepage
Yeah, air pollution is a big problem for the southern Central Valley but the yearly stats for the nation normally show that the South Coast Air Quality Management District [Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino & Riverside counties] has the worst overall smog in the nation. It might be splitting hairs since both regions have smog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California