Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
LMAO at you. May the fleas of a thousand camels swarm your underwear!

Actually, you, and others, should be pitied. You don't have the knowledge to know that you and your elected representatives are likely more at fault than the state workers.

But they still have a job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
But they still have a job...
Yes they do. Good for them. Job stability/security has always been a draw for public employment. I do, however, have friends who have been laid off by counties.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Yes they do. Good for them. Job stability/security has always been a draw for public employment. I do, however, have friends who have been laid off by counties.
The same is true for the city where I work. Of course, our union refused to make pay/benefit concessions. In my city, the unions that made concessions did not have layoffs.

And next year, when our contract is up, we'll end up making concessions anyway. Real smart (sarc.)

Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
LMAO at you. May the fleas of a thousand camels swarm your underwear!

Actually, you, and others, should be pitied. You don't have the knowledge to know that you and your elected representatives are likely more at fault than the state workers.
I know that, I don't think that you do.

ITT, Curmudgeon experiences the revelation that there cannot be a single public sector job until it is funded by the private sector.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,636 times
Quote:

Ok.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I know that, I don't think that you do.
You're wrong. That's all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
ITT, Curmudgeon experiences the revelation that there cannot be a single public sector job until it is funded by the private sector.
It may be a revelation to you but I've always known that. It comes from these pesky little things call fees, assessments, penalties, taxes, etc.

LittleLiang is beginning to itch down there!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
No, having situations like that isn't good for any city, but STILL: YOU HAVE A JOB!!! Everyone in this position feels that crying to take a day off is their right? Are you kidding me? You should be grateful you have a job to wake to up, a place to go, purpose etc. How about waking up wondering if this or that employer will call you back for an interview, if your unemployment check will run out...

People aren't going to feel sorry for people pissed off because they have to take a day off. That's pathetic. No beef with you and I do get what your saying, but those out of work, would take your job and just DEAL WITH IT to get a PAYCHECK. I would ride it out and just be happy that I still have some income coming in..then NONE AT ALL.

Unions: Why companies ship our JOBS to other countries for cheaper wages.
Sigh!

Okay, so your local news media decided to interview "public employees" for their comments. And what for? Sounds to me like an opportunity seized to stir things up with the viewers (known as "trolling" in c.d.) and cater to critics like yourself. And you fell for it!

Have the same reporters made News at 11 with news pertaining to private business cutting back and asking for THEIR comments? And how is someone supposed to react to being asked how they feel??? Yes, they have jobs, and I'm sure they all realize it after the initial shock. Losing days is still a big enough cut in pay to affect their lives, I don't care what you say. So the workers gave their honest answers in response to shock. Would YOU not be in shock?

City of Portland laid off over 150 people, as well as cut down to 32-hr work weeks, and not once did I watch individuals "interviewed" about their "feelings" on the local news.

We're all human, and I'd bet that if YOU had a job that felt secure for some time and relied on it for predictable bills, YOU would still complain to High Hell for awhile just from the SHOCK of it.

As for union jobs moving to other countries. . . and I'll use Maidenform as an example. . . It up-rooted its company and did just that. BUT their underwear sure hasn't dropped in price because of it!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The same is true for the city where I work. Of course, our union refused to make pay/benefit concessions. In my city, the unions that made concessions did not have layoffs.

And next year, when our contract is up, we'll end up making concessions anyway. Real smart (sarc.)
I agree. The unions are more self-perpetuating than helpful anymore. I think six have settled with the state with reasonable concessions thus far but the 800 pound gorilla, SEIU, hasn't and they're the worse....well....maybe second to the prison guards.

One of my stepdaughters worked as a rep for SEIU, rising through their ranks rather quickly. Then she had to take some time off on FMLA. You'd think a union, of all organizations, would understand and honor that. Not SEIU. They fired her a few weeks ago. Now they want to "settle" with her because they broke federal law by dropping her. Ol' Stepdad here, the former state Manager II, has given her a few suggestions on dealing with them. I hope they help her.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
I agree. The unions are more self-perpetuating than helpful anymore. I think six have settled with the state with reasonable concessions thus far but the 800 pound gorilla, SEIU, hasn't and they're the worse....well....maybe second to the prison guards.

One of my stepdaughters worked as a rep for SEIU, rising through their ranks rather quickly. Then she had to take some time off on FMLA. You'd think a union, of all organizations, would understand and honor that. Not SEIU. They fired her a few weeks ago. Now they want to "settle" with her because they broke federal law by dropping her. Ol' Stepdad here, the former state Manager II, has given her a few suggestions on dealing with them. I hope they help her.
It just goes to show you the hypocrisy of the unions.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
I remember applying at a San Diego County job fair, where they had all sorts of County positions. I took the test and everything. Nobody even looked my way twice. There was this girl with a 3-page resume who got job offers at every table. At the time I was quite heated - but I can only imagine how angry I'd be if I had gotten the job. Wonder if she's struggling in some County position still.

Both points are valid. They still have jobs so they should feel thankful - BUT that's a lot of money to lose due to no fault of your own and completely out of your control. It's not like some companies where they just cut bonuses - bonuses are discretionary income. We're talking about shaving off someone's paycheck that they have gotten for X years. That's a hard pill to swallow, especially when you have no other option (given that there are no jobs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California