Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 19,418 times

Advertisements

Recently I was accepted into the Universtiy of Pacific and I'll be moving to Stockton in July. After investigating the area for apartments and reading some of the town demographics, I've come to be a little worried. I've seen that Stockton, CA has been rated among the worst places to live in America. I've read it has to do with gangs/crime/housing crash/poor jobs etc. I was wondering if I were to move to Stockton, which side would be the safest, so I know where to look for apartments. Thank you for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
The northwest section of Stockton is one of the better areas. Look around March Lane, Ben Holt Dr., Hammer Lane area just east of I-5. It's close to UOP.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherback View Post
Recently I was accepted into the Universtiy of Pacific and I'll be moving to Stockton in July. After investigating the area for apartments and reading some of the town demographics, I've come to be a little worried. I've seen that Stockton, CA has been rated among the worst places to live in America. I've read it has to do with gangs/crime/housing crash/poor jobs etc. I was wondering if I were to move to Stockton, which side would be the safest, so I know where to look for apartments. Thank you for any replies.
Try to stay right around the college campus. That is where the majority of students live and it pretty safe. Be careful becuase a couple streets north of the school are pretty bad. Stay clear of Manchester / Rosemarie area and Bianchi Rd area. (this will be obvious when you see it)

-West Rosemarie (west of pershing Ave and west of Stagg High School) is not too bad and is livible. There is a large apartment complex there with a bar and a coffee shop within walking distance.

-Just south of the school there a several apt complexes and it is a farily safe residential area with some rented homes to students. You would probably also like this area along Pacific Ave (called Miracle Mile). I would try to stay west of Pacific Ave in this area.

Those are the areas I would check out.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM

14 posts, read 30,131 times
I have good news and bad news. The bad news is Stockton is a pretty ghetto place to live. I grew up in Stockton and though I'm in TX now, I still go back to visit family and it's only gotten worse. That being said, the good news is since you're a college student, you will be somewhat sheltered from most of the crime if you stick close to UOP. There are still pockets of Stockton that's not so bad. If you live off March Ln, Ben Holt or Swain Rd make sure it's closer to I-5. Pacific Ave (Miracle Mile) is also safe, but I'm not sure how much housing you'll be able to find there. If you can afford it, try to find housing in 95219 zip code.
Stockton is actually a lot scarier to an outsider. Just use common sense and once you're there, you'll be fine.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
You people make me sick. Stockton is "Some Place Special" LOL. You need some direct feed back from the Students and Faculty at UOP. You'll be fine. Stockton has crime like everywhere else. Tell us where are you coming from and I'll have a better understanding of what kind of housing advice to give you. Stockton can be a HUGE culture shock for someone not from a ethnically diverse area.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 AM

I'm moving from North Cental Florida. Gainesville. From what I've read there is a lot of gang violence?

Old 05-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Well you are real speedy at responses. One question before I spew forth a wealth of Stockton city knowledge on you. Why are you not going to UF? You live right there. If you can get into UOP you can get into UF?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 23,078 times
UOP is a beautiful campus. I grew up in a small town about 25 minutes from Stockton. It really is not as bad as some people may make it sound. Stick to the areas the previous poster mentioned and you'll be fine. I definitely agree about Miracle Mile--nice area and fun things to do for a college student. Send me a message if you have specific questions. I would be happy to help.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Sorry for not having speedy responses. I set up the account to email me when a new post comes through but for some reason I don't get the updates for what looks like a week after someone posts. So I apologize for not responding sooner. I've already earned a BA from UF and was offered a scholarship for my Master's program at Pacific.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Ok what exactly do you want to know. Give me a list and I can enlighten you. You really need to check this more often. I feel like I'm playing a game of postal chess with someone in the Siberian forest. Just compare the stats of Gainesville to Stockton they are almost identical. I know Stockton like the back of my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California