Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 87,090 times

Advertisements

I have been doing endless research into where the good parts of Stockton are because I have to start my new job there on October 15th and live with 20 miles of the city. It seems that the neighborhoods west of I-5 through Brookside and along Mariners drive, northwest corner, and around UOP are alright. I have been advised against Weston Ranch and the southern sector. I have also been looking into the vicinity of Benjamin Holt Drive and the northeast section of the city near Morada. Can anybody help me in finding a decent neighborhood? I have a wife and two little boys and all I care about is that I can go to work and not worry about them being in any danger. Can anybody suggest any apartment complexes that are nice and safe? Are there any new complexes aside from Pavilions? Is the city of Manteca any better? Lathrop? Lodi? For someone who is REQUIRED to live in the area, can anybody help me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Try Linden about 15 miles east of Stockton on Highway 26.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:11 PM

11 posts, read 52,412 times
I live in Linden and there are not any apartments but there are some rental houses and maybe a duplex or two. Stockton is about 10 miles west of Linden.
I would try and rent a house or duplex in Stockton or Lodi. That way you have a yard for your kids and a garage for yourself. The rent is not that much more. How much rent can you afford? A duplex with 2 bedrooms will cost you about $800 - $950 depending on where it is. A house will cost $900 on up depending on where you want to live. In a nice neighborhood, you are probably looking at about $1200-$1500 for a house. Executive homes can be a lot more.
I've lived in Stockton since 1985 and know it very well. The neighborhoods you are mentioning are good but all of Stockton is very "spotty". It is known for this. You go two blocks and you are in a nice neighborhood...go two more blocks and you hit something less desireable. You will have to drive it and see when you get out here. You will be surprised. I was told all these horror stories before I moved here and when I got here it wasn't even as bad as what I was told. You just have to see it. Also, Lodi is only 6 miles away from Stockton and it is a cute little town. My daughter lives there and loves it.
Good Luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM

18 posts, read 87,090 times
Default Stockton or Lodi

I went up to the Stockton area to do a little hunting. I found some nice areas but it is so hard to know where are the best places until you move there. I drove down the miracle mile and thought that area was really nice, but I am sure there are a lot of college kids around, not that that is a bad thing however. It seemed that the area around the Train Station was a little dicey, but as you said, Stockton is a very spotty place and I did notice. From someone who lives in the city or is firmiliar with it, would you say that the gangs and reckless juviniles often leave people alone that aren't messing with them, or do they go looking for trouble? I guess that may vary as well. I drove up to Lodi as well and it appeared to be a very nice little town as well. How would the crime in Lodi compared to Stockton? The main reason I care is so that I can feel comfortable with my wife and kids going out while I am away and not have to worry too much about their safety.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:38 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I lived in Stockton for 3 years, and was never troubled by gangs or "thugs"... but I also didn't wander into the bad neighborhoods, except maybe during the day. I lived first at Feather River Dr. & March Lane, which is just a few blocks west of hwy. 5, and near Brookside. It was a nice area, but couldn't really refer to it as a "neighborhood." Then I had a place on Grand Canal Blvd., which is considered the Grouse Run area... I really liked that part of town, and never felt unsafe there. Generally speaking, the northwest parts of Stockton are best, and campus area is nice too - but obviously full of college students. Bad parts are in the south, particularly near hwy. 4, and the far east isn't too great either. Hope this helps!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,062 times
I live in stockton, Ca all my life and all I can say is dont look for a place in the South side and South East of stockton or somewhere towards the central area. All the other areas (East, North, & West) are alrite but it depends where u looking at! So If you decide to drive around looking, my best advise is to ask the neighbors around the area where your interested in questions. Also I would check the locations out like in the weekends or maybe around the times when everyone that lives around that area would be home...so that you can kinda check how things would be like around that area, So good luck!!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
If you're going to awaken a 2 year old thread, at least read the original post for content. The original poster said he was starting a job October 15, 2007. We can assume he found a place to live.

Welcome to City-Data!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California