Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
California is 2nd world. It is governable but not functionable.

It is very easy to sink from 2nd world to 3rd world.

It is very difficult to get from 2nd to 1st world
And yet middle income countries do become high income countries.

Look at South Korea, Chile, the Czech Republic, and Slovenia as examples. And, in the future, Brazil most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
i think NO,,,

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,314 times
Quote:
California is 2nd world. It is governable but not functionable.

It is very easy to sink from 2nd world to 3rd world.

It is very difficult to get from 2nd to 1st world

California is NOT 2nd world.....that is a crazy statement.

2nd world is Russia, Kazakhstan, developed parts of China maybe, etc.

3rd world is Venezuela, N. Korea, etc.

I think someone needs to buy you a plan ticket for Bejing or something.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
California is very second world. California is very similar dysfunction like russia and corruption too, pollution like china (arsenic in drinking water in central valley, smog, etc.)no fiscal responsibility like greece. California is a 2nd world bufferzone between 1st world usa and third world mexico

Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,314 times
Quote:
California is very second world. California is very similar dysfunction like russia and corruption too, pollution like china (arsenic in drinking water in central valley, smog, etc.)no fiscal responsibility like greece. California is a 2nd world bufferzone between 1st world usa and third world mexico
If you truly believe all that nonsense...then maybe it's time for you to move?

There are parts of Appalachia that are closer to the 2nd world than California....

The world bank did a complilation of the most polluted (air quality) cities in the world.

1. Cairo, Egypt
2. Dehili, India
3. Kolkata, India
4. Tianjin, China
5. Chongquin, China
6. Kanpur, India
7. Lucknow, India
8. Jakarta, Indonesia
9. Shenyang, China

Old 10-09-2010, 05:39 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You have to be kidding, California on it's own is the 7th largest economy in the world. If they could print their own money they could inflate it 10% and be even. The per capita income is higher than anywhere else in the country. I'd sooner live in a broke California than about 45 other states
Yeah, that's nice talk. I wonder if you actually would if it happens. Talk is cheap.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
really? state government controls housing prices? i always thought the market controlled housing prices. boy was i way off .
Yes, actually the state and local government have a lot of control over the housing market. Prop 13 as well as restrictive zoning laws effectively limit the building of new housing, restricting supply...and driving up prices.

The notion that we have anything close to a true free market in housing is a joke. The housing market is very much distorted by goverment laws/regulations. The worst part about it is that since those laws/regulations are invisible to most people, many, like yourself, are under the illusion that we have a free market in housing.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
The article posted by the OP references this 1991 Time Magazine article called "The Endangered Dream" questioning if the golden state had lost its luster.

The Endangered Dream - TIME

I don't mean to minimize the many challenges the state faces but it does point out that we've been down this road before.
More like we've been on the same road since 1991 (actually, probably longer than that). The dot com boom and then the housing boom obscured a lot of the unhealthy trends that were happening, but they've been there all along.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I don't think California is ungovernable..I mean, after all, there was a time that California was physically able to be governed without as many problems as we do today. There was a time when economic problems were a LOT worse than they are now (back in the 1930s), but there weren't nearly as much coming out about the United States being ungovernable back then.

The biggest problem today, I feel, is voter apathy. It seems that no matter how bad the state is doing, it seems that anyone rarely cares about what goes on. You can see this when you see how many people turn out to vote in any gubernatorial election (for 2006, it was 39.89%, in 2002, it was 36.05%) and for the midterm elections. I mean, compared to a whole lot of other democracies, America as a whole has a problem with voter apathy, but its especially acute here in California.

Judging by what you see posted on this forum, and what people talk about in person, its not extremely surprising why. Everyone has a complaint, but it seems that no one has a prescription. Everyone is quick to blame the other side, but don't exhibit enough criticism toward their own side.

Once upon a time, people were able to vote on their feet; IE: run away to another place that has a better economy. But in the days of a globalized economy, where everything seems to be outsourced anyways, that's becoming less and less of a possibility.

As AMERICANS, not just as Californians, Texans, Alaskans, New Yorkers, or whatever, we need to quit this attitude of running away from our problems. What kind of country are we if all we seem to be adept at doing is running away? We need to honestly look at the problems for what they are, and meet them head on. No amount of hiding the issues, minimizing the issue, of avoiding the issues can change the fact that there is something seriously wrong with the way the US economy is structured, the political system is stymied, and the uptick of social problems.

Just one persons opinion.
You nailed it, Lifeshadower!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
In 2009 California ranked 10th in per capita income, not 1st.

BBER-UNM: United States: Per Capita Personal Income
I'd add that California hasn't been 1st in per capita income for a long time, if ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California