Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
While some may include Kern and Slo, most people wouldn't consider those counties Southern CA. I've never heard any resident of SLO say they live in Southern CA. Right next to that pic you grabbed of wikipedia it says:

" However, counties commonly thought of as making up Southern California are solely (by this rationale) Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, Imperial, San Diego and the coastal (metro cities) of Santa Barbara area, excluding the northern half of that county. "

How so? And when I stated that Pleasanton is like a lot of upper middle class suburbs I was mainly referring to the look and feel of them.
Ditto. I have relatives in Visalia who would be insulted to be called Southern Californians and not because they don't like Southern California but rather they firmly believe they live in Northern California. And the same can be said for all the Central Valley, Salinas Valley, Santa Maria Valley. Even the Santa Ynez Valley just over the mountains from Santa Barbara are often referred to as Northern California though also Southern California.

The entire Santa Clara Valley\ San Jose really reminds me of Southern California in the sprawl, freeways, construction, palms, even smog, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Anything North of the Tehachapis is Central Calif.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Bakersfield is so cal. Whether or not it is in the central valley has really nothing to do with it.

SLO, Kern, and San Berdoo county lines fall along a perfect parallel.

And no, culturally speaking so cal is nothing like nor cal in any sense.
Yes, it forms a perfect neat straight line. However a straight line on a map is an artificial boundary and very rarely reflects the reality on the ground.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Ditto. I have relatives in Visalia who would be insulted to be called Southern Californians and not because they don't like Southern California but rather they firmly believe they live in Northern California. And the same can be said for all the Central Valley, Salinas Valley, Santa Maria Valley. Even the Santa Ynez Valley just over the mountains from Santa Barbara are often referred to as Northern California though also Southern California.

The entire Santa Clara Valley\ San Jose really reminds me of Southern California in the sprawl, freeways, construction, palms, even smog, etc.
I agree with every word of this post

Old 10-20-2010, 03:01 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yes, it forms a perfect neat straight line. However a straight line on a map is an artificial boundary and very rarely reflects the reality on the ground.
Any time you want to point out a that there are norteno's in bakersfield, I am all ears. Last time I checked, you can't find those guys south of fresno.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
While some may include Kern and Slo, most people wouldn't consider those counties Southern CA. I've never heard any resident of SLO say they live in Southern CA.
I'ver heard plenty of people from Santa Barbara and bakersfield refer to themselves as southern california. But I suppose it is subjective, I have heard people from Chico and Arcata tell people in the bay and santa cruz that they are not nor cal.

Quote:
How so? And when I stated that Pleasanton is like a lot of upper middle class suburbs I was mainly referring to the look and feel of them.
I'm referring to culture. So cal culture and nor cal culture are noticably different imo. Maybe thats because I am from Chicago so I am observant of both cultures and do not entirely emmerse myself in said cultures, but they are noticably different. Different weather, history, immigration patterns, culture, etc.

I can agree that aesthetically they might be similar, in the sense that the same Tract homes built by KB in Irvine, might resemble the same tract homes built by kb in pleasanton, with the same lexus in the drive way or what ever, but thats pretty much where it stops.

I've never found a nor cal equivalant to carlsbad, but I've seen half a dozen carlsbad like communties up and down OC and SD county.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Anything North of the Tehachapis is Central Calif.
Thats factually impossible, there is a vast swath of land north of the tehachapis, that sits south of over 65% of the state. Thats not "central".

Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Any time you want to point out a that there are norteno's in bakersfield, I am all ears. Last time I checked, you can't find those guys south of fresno.
Crap, I forgot, the gang distribution is the true and final key

Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Crap, I forgot, the gang distribution is the true and final key
No one said it was the "final key", kiddo. Its one of many indicators. Everyone knows nortenos are not in southern california. Thats the whole reason they exist, to combat so cal gangs in prison. So my guess would be if there are more of nortes in one area, you are in nor cal. Lots of surenos and ms 13= so cal. Any time you want to show me evidence that refutes this, again, I am all ears.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Thats factually impossible, there is a vast swath of land north of the tehachapis, that sits south of over 65% of the state. Thats not "central".
Facts, schmacts. I stated my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California