Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,185,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Now let me get this straight, if prop 19 passes and the Feds shut it down, Jerry Brown will call in the National Gaurd and Calif. will be thrust into war with the Federal government so we can smoke weed? that might make a good movie.
starring none other than Arnold Shwartzenegger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:57 AM

50,464 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Not sure if it's been touched yet but how can this law be "legal" if the Arizona immigration law (or parts) aren't?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 AM

56 posts, read 111,285 times
Quote:
Not sure if it's been touched yet but how can this law be "legal" if the Arizona immigration law (or parts) aren't?
Try this, read the Arizona Law, read the CA prop, and read the Constitution. See if you can determine why there is a difference.
Then, please share that with us.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,303,932 times
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
We just spent 2 hours in our group going over Marijuana and the thought of it being legalized. I used to have the mindset that since alcohol and cigarettes are legal that maybe so should weed. After doing more research on the topic I am starting to lean the other way. Do we really need another mind altering substance to be legalized?
Yes, we really do need another mind altering substance, which, unlike the others that are already legal, is non-toxic.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 AM

56 posts, read 111,285 times
If Prop 19 passes, it will do more to get the Mexican cartel growers off our public and private lands than anything law enforcement has been able to do.

Mammals like a buzz, for what ever reason. Have you seen the film of elephants and baboons eating rotted fruit, getting drunk and staggering around?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM

583 posts, read 885,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
That is patently untrue. I don't suppose you've ever heard of the Supremacy Clause? Prop 19 does not even attempt to override the federal law by "explicitly permitting" the act. Its writers knew that such an attempt would be futile and contrary to the Supremacy Clause. Its language specifically states that possession, cultivation etc. should not be a crime under California law.

I'll also refer to you to Gonzales v. Raich. It's all been played out before.
You know, I explained this a few posts above the one you quoted.

Further, you omitted discussing how a federal prosecutor would establish scienter if Prop 19 passes, a point I also discussed.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,367,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite. View Post
If Prop 19 passes, it will do more to get the Mexican cartel growers off our public and private lands than anything law enforcement has been able to do.
I hear this quite often but i don't see how this would work.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:37 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,772,941 times
Quote:
I hear this quite often but i don't see how this would work.
How will the cartels sell their illicit and inferior product when legit and high-quality product is available to retailers? They can't! It's the same reason you don't see alcohol stills or tobacco plantations hiding in the forest. There's no market for it.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:50 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,367,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
How will the cartels sell their illicit and inferior product when legit and high-quality product is available to retailers? They can't! It's the same reason you don't see alcohol stills or tobacco plantations hiding in the forest. There's no market for it.
You don't see stills because they made rot gut moonshine not quality booze pluss it takes a lot of products and work to make it. I don't ever remember a market for growing and manufacturing illegal cigs.

The cartel make a high quality product and could sell it much cheaper because they wont add the taxes Ca. would, nope i don't think if it was legal it would affect the cartel in any way.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,218,434 times
Quote:
You don't see stills because they made rot gut moonshine not quality booze pluss it takes a lot of products and work to make it. I don't ever remember a market for growing and manufacturing illegal cigs.

The cartel make a high quality product and could sell it much cheaper because they wont add the taxes Ca. would, nope i don't think if it was legal it would affect the cartel in any way.
i think it will come down to price, just like everything else in america. it's funny how you hear people complain about jobs leaving american, but those same people can be found buying crap chinese products from their local walmart because it's easy on their wallet. if legalization drives down the market rates of weed, then cartels will be forced to meet the market or go out of business (or move on to another business). that being said, said cartels will have to actually beat the market because who is going to continue to buy their weed from shady drug dealers when they can go to 7-11 and buy it for the same price. this of course is all contingent on the fact that legalization does drive down the price of weed. if not, not much will change unless of course there is a crazy amount of untapped demand waiting for legalization. but i highly doubt usage rates will see any kind of significant increase just because weed is legal, it will just make life a bit easier for those who already are consumers of the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California