Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,168,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
but i highly doubt usage rates will see any kind of significant increase just because weed is legal, it will just make life a bit easier for those who already are consumers of the plant.
I agree with you, that consumption of pot won't change, because everybody (or almost everybody) who wants to smoke pot is already doing so.

However I predict a huge decrease in punctuation and capitalization as pot smokers turn freely to Internet forums and spout their opinions, and nevermind the rules of punctuation and capitalization.

If we allow free consumption of drugs, can those who support the rules of grammar not worry that the last bastions of society will fall?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:59 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,371,976 times
It will keep the Grammar and Spelling Whores busy. Maybe it will take some attention off of me

Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I agree with you, that consumption of pot won't change, because everybody (or almost everybody) who wants to smoke pot is already doing so.
There's a whole new generation coming of age that can be convinced to use it.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,168,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There's a whole new generation coming of age that can be convinced to use it.
One thing, you don't see any tobacco advertisements on TV and I'll bet pot gets handled the same way, prohibited from advertising anywhere tobacco advertising is prohibited.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,158,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
You know, I explained this a few posts above the one you quoted.

Further, you omitted discussing how a federal prosecutor would establish scienter if Prop 19 passes, a point I also discussed.
Ignorance of the law is not sufficient to prove lack of mens rea.

If Prop 19 were written as to declare pot legal "in California", that would allow people to get away with an "I thought it was perfectly legal" excuse - for a week at most, and then the relevant section of prop 19 would have been first stayed and then declared unconstitutional under the Supremacy Clause.

Since it only declares it legal "under California law", pot-smokers are expected to understand that the federal law is not California law, and pointing at the proposition at the federal trial gets you nowhere.

Like I said and like others said, we've been through this exact thing with medical marijuana and prop 215, medical pot smokers do get prosecuted under the federal law from time to time, and SCOTUS found no problem with that.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM

306 posts, read 604,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i think it will come down to price, just like everything else in america. it's funny how you hear people complain about jobs leaving american, but those same people can be found buying crap chinese products from their local walmart because it's easy on their wallet. if legalization drives down the market rates of weed, then cartels will be forced to meet the market or go out of business (or move on to another business). that being said, said cartels will have to actually beat the market because who is going to continue to buy their weed from shady drug dealers when they can go to 7-11 and buy it for the same price. this of course is all contingent on the fact that legalization does drive down the price of weed. if not, not much will change unless of course there is a crazy amount of untapped demand waiting for legalization. but i highly doubt usage rates will see any kind of significant increase just because weed is legal, it will just make life a bit easier for those who already are consumers of the plant.
Well if it wasn't for capitialism we would buy american. But america wants maximum profit and consumer wants bang for buck, doesn't mix. Jobs left america because capatilist wanted maximum profits(cheap labor). I'm a prop 215 patient and anyone against legalization is no different than those who hate blacks,gays,etc. Me smoking marijuana is a human right no one else should decide that. They can't control it so its a problem.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,054,450 times
Why does the federal govt always have to stick their noses into things that are none of their business ?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,647,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Why does the federal govt always have to stick their noses into things that are none of their business ?
This is exactly what the civil war was fought over. Federal law over state law.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,647,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
This is exactly what the civil war was fought over. Federal law over state law.
The South also used federal power to accomplish their agenda. There was the matter of the Fugitive Slave Act and Dred Scott v. Sanford....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California