Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

I think SLO is just beautiful - I don't live there, but used to wish I did. I'm from Florida and I am happy and grateful to live where I live (Sarasota) but I can totally understand SLO being a "happy" city. Of all the places I have visited in California, it's my favorite. I also really love Morro Bay. Several years ago I was considering moving there (with hubby) but sadly, not too many jobs available and real estate prices way out of our budget. So we will have to be content with vacations there now and then. Just my opinion but I think it would be the nicest place in California to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have NEVER met a tourist who comes to a town because of the chain stores.

Why would you travel to a place as beautiful as SLO and shop in a Target? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Oh, and nobody can afford to live in SLO regardless of how many stores there are. That's why you see so many college students living closer to downtown, they can pile 6+ people in a 3 bedroom house.
I'm not referring to Target or basic chains that a tourist would visit. I was thinking more along the lines of Talbots, Pottery Barn, and Urban Outfitters and others you don't normally see.

I am not necessarily referring to college students, but the middle class families. You see most of the families on the outskirt of town or in surrounding towns. You have to put cost of shopping for food and general products on the list for one to live in SLO. If driving far for necessities and not being able to get cheap household products is a money concern, then people will not live here.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of Talbots, Pottery Barn, and Urban Outfitters and others you don't normally see.
Talbots, 487 stores
Pottery Barn, 198 stores
Urban Outfitters, 150 plus 135 Anthropologie

Quote:
If driving far for necessities and not being able to get cheap household products is a money concern, then people will not live here.
When I left town, SLO had about 25,000 people, today it is about 50,000, that is darned good for CA.
Santa Maria during that time period went from 25,000 to 100,000

If you want cheap stuff live in Santa Maria, if you want classy stuff, shop downtown SLO If you are a student, get your parents to buy it, that is what our kids do.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Talbots, 487 stores
Pottery Barn, 198 stores

When I left town, SLO had about 25,000 people, today it is about 50,000, that is darned good for CA.

If you want cheap stuff live in Santa Maria, if you want classy stuff, shop downtown SLO If you are a student, get your parents to buy it, that is what our kids do.
And seeing how many people prob don't live near one of those chains they go to places that have them.

Exactly, people won't live in SLO if there it's hard on their wallet they will live north or south of it.

And SLO has 45,000 population where as Santa Maria has 92,000 population.

BTW, when I do shop in downtown SLO it's at local stores. But at times I have gotten stuff at Apple and Urban Outfitters.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I'm not referring to Target or basic chains that a tourist would visit. I was thinking more along the lines of Talbots, Pottery Barn, and Urban Outfitters and others you don't normally see.

I am not necessarily referring to college students, but the middle class families. You see most of the families on the outskirt of town or in surrounding towns. You have to put cost of shopping for food and general products on the list for one to live in SLO. If driving far for necessities and not being able to get cheap household products is a money concern, then people will not live here.
Those are still plain old chains...there is absolutely nothing special about Talbots or Pottery Barn They sell the same crap that Target sells, but at a higher price.

Regarding food, there are PLENTY of places in and around SLO to get inexpensive food... people are lazy. I easily spend less than $125 a month on food because I make the vast majority of it from scratch and freeze it. Buy from Farmer's market and get together with other families/individuals and go for a veggie basket from Cal Poly or Clark Valley and share it. We have fresh produce nearly all year round... very lucky.

We also have a crap-ton of places to shop for groceries and other items...if you can't find what you're looking for in SLO, you're not looking hard enough.

Quote:
Talbots, 487 stores
Pottery Barn, 198 stores

I'm sick of cheap. I would rather spend a little more money on something that will last me instead of shopping based solely on price.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Those are still plain old chains...there is absolutely nothing special about Talbots or Pottery Barn They sell the same crap that Target sells, but at a higher price.

Regarding food, there are PLENTY of places in and around SLO to get inexpensive food... people are lazy. I easily spend less than $125 a month on food because I make the vast majority of it from scratch and freeze it. Buy from Farmer's market and get together with other families/individuals and go for a veggie basket from Cal Poly or Clark Valley and share it. We have fresh produce nearly all year round... very lucky.

We also have a crap-ton of places to shop for groceries and other items...if you can't find what you're looking for in SLO, you're not looking hard enough.

I'm sick of cheap. I would rather spend a little more money on something that will last me instead of shopping based solely on price.
Yeah but some people CAN'T afford to go for the higher price. And I know many people that come to SLO from the Valley that shop downtown at some of those stores. And I used to have friends from that would go to Santa Barbara or Salinas for a mall to shop for clothes.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I miss San Luis but can't afford to live there. Grew up in Paso.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I miss San Luis but can't afford to live there. Grew up in Paso.
You can afford to live there, but maybe not in a home you would like. Most people who can't afford a home or nice home live in one of the surrounding communities.

The harder part is finding a job in the area.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
The harder part is finding a job in the area.
The better bet is to create your job. There have been thousands of Cal Poly grads who wanted to stay in the area and did precisely that.

My wife and I, retired, have also done that, find a niche that appeals to you, create your future.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The better bet is to create your job. There have been thousands of Cal Poly grads who wanted to stay in the area and did precisely that.

My wife and I, retired, have also done that, find a niche that appeals to you, create your future.
Then you have a hard time finding what you actually want to do. My job requires large cities that have money. Rather if the economy is good or not that will not happen in this area. For most jobs in this area, the minimum is a master's degree anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California