Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
That's what politians do, travel around and get the base hyped up. Nothing shocking here. They'll make some gains but it's not going to be huge and they will not take back the house. Watch. The media is trying to be sensational as usual.
In all fairness, I think this year will be a republican victory year and it's quite possible they could take back the house. The HOR is more "volatile" so to speak than the senate. However, I don't think it will be long lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
It is remarkable to me that you, California Sur, continually like to make fun of Southerners or people with an accent. One of the best Democrats in recent history, Bill Clinton, is a Southerner, and made no secret of it.

Is this any different than making fun of people with an accent, say from Latin America?

Whitman would not wear a hat in Texas because she knows she would look ridiculous. By the way, very few women wear cowboy hats in Texas. Some entertainers do.

I also find it interesting how often people on this board choose to bash Whitman for her looks. If good looks are so important for your elected officials, how did Pelosi get elected?
I couldn't agree with you more: there will always be a group of people who can only feel good about themselves by lashing out at others or making fun of others.

Another southerner, who I didn't agree with but certainly had the respect of her party was Ann Richards, the governor of Texas. She did wear her cowboy hats, loved her motor bike, big hair and yes, her "proud to be a Texan" accent. I hope pepole vote this year and in all years to come for the person, not their looks, their build, their accents or any other superficial quality. If you can call it a quality?

Nita

Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
Sure, considering I've seen your responses. You're another one embarrassed by your party so you're all of a sudden an Independent right? Sure. My comment is incoherent and dumb only if you are incoherent and dumb.
Has it ever occurred to you there are some independents that are very much to the right? there are Republicans that are middle or the road or left and Democrats that are right of the middle. Saying, I am not a Republican does not mean I am embarrassed to be one, that is all he is saying.

Oh, and if anyone really thinks liberals can be open minded they must be living on some other planet. They have to be the most closed minded bunch I have ever known.

Nita

Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
There's a lot of bigotry on both sides of the political spectrum. My distaste for radical extremists are equal for both.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:28 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

If Jerry Brown gets elected it will be the death nell for California. I survived his being the governor the 1st time around (although I had to leave California briefly to find a job) and it took Reagan a long while to get things straightened around. They didn't call Jerry Moonbeam for nothing.
Explain this to me.

Ronald Reagan was Governor BEFORE Jerry Brown.

Jerry Brown was Governor WHILE Ronald Reagan was President.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Everyone forgets George. That's George ("Check my Spelling") Deukmejian.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, it is too bad they couldn't have found a better choice. Boxer needs to be replaced, she should have never been elected in the first place.
If GOP voters didn't reject Tom Campbell in the 1992 primaries, Boxer would never have been elected at all.

If GOP voters didn't reject Campbell in the 2010 primaries, she'd be facing certain doom.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 PM

312 posts, read 502,214 times
Quote:
you can't be serious? Even the most liberal Democrats that are in the know think the Republicans will make huge gains. Will they take over the senate? Probably not, but they will take over the house or damn close plus pick up several governorships. At least as of right now, that appears to be the case.

NIta
Huge would be taking the Senate and the House anything else is not huge.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you there are some independents that are very much to the right? there are Republicans that are middle or the road or left and Democrats that are right of the middle. Saying, I am not a Republican does not mean I am embarrassed to be one, that is all he is saying.

Oh, and if anyone really thinks liberals can be open minded they must be living on some other planet. They have to be the most closed minded bunch I have ever known.

Nita
Has it occurred to you not to speak for other people, Zhuge is a big boy and any "Independent" that overwhelming agrees with one side over the other is of that side. I don't care if it's left or right. In case you haven't noticed, the new thing is to be against the establishment. It does not change the fact you are what you are. Nice shot at liberals you took too. Let me guess you're independent just like all you other "lib" haters. Besides, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to CA politics, you live in the Ozarks with Erik Estrada.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
In all fairness, I think this year will be a republican victory year and it's quite possible they could take back the house. The HOR is more "volatile" so to speak than the senate. However, I don't think it will be long lived.
We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California