Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times

Advertisements

Yesterday Jerry Brown proposed 3 debates with Whitman & Poizner before the primary election in early June. Poizner immediately agreed but not Whitman who currently has a strong lead over Poizner in polls. Brown wants to get the issues before the California voters now instead of waiting for summer. Democrats really don't have a primary since no other Democrat is running against Jerry Brown or Barbara Boxer for senator. With Whitman's endless $ she is gaining good publicity. This may be the reason she has declined to join Brown & Poizner in debates. Do you think this is good political strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
I think it's a miscalculation on her part. They're going to tear her apart for that.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
She'll turn that to her favor by accusing Brown of being a master debater whose hand she refuses to shake.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Whitman has good name recognition & favorable poll numbers. It is to her advantage to not give either Poizner & Brown a forum to challenge her. Poor sportsmanship but probably wise political strategy.

But to me it is like 3 peas in a pod. Poizner's ads remind voters of Whitman's fiscal support of senator Boxer's past election. And Whitman points out how Poizner supported Al Gore for president. These three individuals are more alike than unalike & why they try to capitalize on anything that divides them.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,699,831 times
I am a bit biased towards Meg Whitman because I feel the only way California can get out of this current mess is to adopt a sound business model to improve our economy. Whitman certainly has the qualifications to get things done, as she has turned things around with Ebay.

But what the vision truly is remains to be seen.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,361 times
Jerry Brown does have several challengers in the primary, although most people give them little chance.

Richard Aguirre is one Dem candidate who wants to debate Brown.
Richard Aguirre (Aguirre2010) on Twitter
Video of Aguirre trying to get a debate with Brown, filmed this weekend. Actually fun to watch Aguirre interacting with Brown and Newsom.

YouTube - California Democratic Convention 2010: What's Up, Guv: Brown, Newsome, Waters.

It appears Jerry is ducking his own party primary to start campaigning for November now. Smart strategy but poor sportsmanship also. He should also be criticized for it.

Lets see if Jerry (the likely Dem candidate) and whoever is the Republican candidate debate this summer before getting too worked up.

This comment about Brown at this weekend's state Dem convention made me laugh though. Maybe Jerry really is living in the past and more out of touch with younger voters than we realize. Jack Benny? who are you courting Jerry?
"Mark Gonzalez, a 25-year-old Los Angeles delegate, said that although he didn't get Brown's reference to black-and-white-TV-era comedian Jack Benny in the candidate's convention video"
Dems urge action to fight GOP passion

Old 04-18-2010, 03:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
No need to get into a debate with Brown until she secures the nomination. Keeping a focus on her primary election opponent is the correct way to go at the moment.

If she beats Poizner, I'm sure she'll debate Brown.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM

I believe in the principle that anything that is so heavily advertised has got to be crap. I can't spend 15 minutes of any day without being bombarded by a message from Meg.
A second principle I believe is that anyone so hard up to get a political position that they spend millions of their own dollars has an ulterior motive, and I doubt it's altruistic.
Whitman is in this because she has so much more cash than anyone else and is willing to spend it.
A debate is one way to find out how their ideas stand up to criticism and scrutiny. If you have conviction in your plan, you present it in a venue where it can withstand analysis.
I'd like to hear all the candidates speak, everyone who's thrown their hat in the ring. Ideally, we'd only see a transcript of what they say and not know who said what. Then we get to vote them off the island, if we don't like what we hear (or read).

Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 PM

434 posts, read 849,546 times
I believe that this is the fourth thread on the City Data Forum attacking Whitman. At least this time you guys didn't do the attack based on her looks, hair style and such. But none of the attacks have taken issue with her ideas for saving California. How about you guys switch from the attacks to a real discussion of the issues involved?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I am a bit biased towards Meg Whitman because I feel the only way California can get out of this current mess is to adopt a sound business model to improve our economy. Whitman certainly has the qualifications to get things done, as she has turned things around with Ebay.

But what the vision truly is remains to be seen.
McClintock has endorsed Poizner. A lack of an endorsement from a real fiscal conservative is something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California