Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times

Advertisements

For those of you saying the government shouldn't be allowed to tell us what we can and can't do I have a few questions. Should I be allowed to rape or murder someone because it's my right to act the way I want? Should I be able to burglarize your residence while you are at work because it's my right to have what you paid for? At what point should the government step in to regulate the way a society acts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:35 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
For those of you saying the government shouldn't be allowed to tell us what we can and can't do I have a few questions. Should I be allowed to rape or murder someone because it's my right to act the way I want? Should I be able to burglarize your residence while you are at work because it's my right to have what you paid for? At what point should the government step in to regulate the way a society acts?

Apples and oranges. Rape, murder, and burglary are violent crimes, and most certainly should be dealt with in a harsh way! Someone toking up in the privacy of their own home is not a violent crime! In fact the only thing at risk perhaps is the bag of Doritos in the cupboard!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:59 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
What passage in the Constitution gives the federal government the authority to make marijuana legal or illegal?
The power of the government to create national departments, federal courts, and federal agencies (like the DEA) to administer national policies that cannot be flouted or undone by state or local jurisdictions derives from the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution (Art. IV, Sec. 1, Clause 2).

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 PM

55 posts, read 126,738 times
Quote:
When the rights of one person are infringed upon by another. So murder, rape, theft should not be legal because the infringe on others rights. However, things like gay marriage and marijuana do not. It's a personal choice and while I don't have to agree with it, I support the individuals right to make their own choices.

I think my biggest reason to support the legalization marijuana is that it funds gangs and violent cartels. Plus its not much more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes which are legal.

This is coming from someone that doesn't even drink or smoke anything. I'm about as square as they come.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:15 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
I am somewhat empathetic to the Libertarian cause, as long as it doesn't cross over into total anarchy as some advocate. I'm against pot, but I could possibly maybe be swayed if a proposition was put forth that didn't look like it was written by a bunch of stoned hippies. It glossed over some very real issues.

That said, logic has little to do with what is acceptable or not in a society. EVERY society has its left and right boundaries, and they aren't always determined by logic. For example, if I raised dogs in my backyard and slaughtered them for meat, how well would that go over? Now give me a purely logical reason why it should be any different than pigs or cows? I can get a hunting license and shoot a deer with a bow and arrow. There are game farms where I can do that. What if I had some cats and dogs in a fenced area and shot bows at them? How well would that go over? Give me a logical reason why that's different than any other game farm.

Whenever I hear the logical arguments being made contrasting pot to alcohol or smoking cigarettes, I think back to that analogy I heard a long time ago in a sociology class.

Somewhat related to that is this. There are numerous examples of illegal activities that fall into the "privacy of your own home" category. There are numerous illegal activities that do no harm to anyone but yourself. I don't always think Libertarians know where the line is drawn between freedom, and total anarchy. Should we also allow protected sex incest? Hey, privacy of their own home, consenting adults? Should we allow prostitution? Why not make cocaine legal if done in the privacy of your own home? Who else are you hurting? It's a slippery slope.

Right wrong or indifferent, we all live in this society we call the United States. That society has left and right limits, and logic doesn't always play a part in what those limits are. That's no different than every other society in the world. Right now, our society doesn't support pot. I get the logical arguments, but I keep thinking back to the dog analogy I heard years ago.

I remember training the Saudi Army on their new M1A2 tanks some years ago. I tried at length to convince them to use the manual because you cannot possibly remember every step in the book for all operating procedures. I never got them to do that. In their society, reading a manual is frowned upon. Nope, you are dumb if you cannot memorize everything. So they just kept getting it wrong going off of memory... All of the logic in the world couldn't change their minds.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILdÐÆMcº³ View Post
When the rights of one person are infringed upon by another. So murder, rape, theft should not be legal because the infringe on others rights. However, things like gay marriage and marijuana do not. It's a personal choice and while I don't have to agree with it, I support the individuals right to make their own choices.

Ok, I agree with this for the most part. Marijuana does infringe upon my life however. I smell it any time I go to a ball game, concert or anything with a crowd. I choose not to be around it but I am always forced to be around it. It seems a lot of people who smoke Marijuana are inconsiderate towards others in when / where they smoke it. I know other people who only smoke in their own homes. I can respect that a whole lot more than other people.

It goes back to our society as a whole. I can't go to a ball game without hearing words like F***, B****, S***, etc etc. What happened to being respectful towards others and watching your language around ladies and children. I probably just don't fit in with most of todays crowd. I don't like being a belligerent drunk or acting out obnoxiously around others.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM

43 posts, read 57,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
LOL someone with "Fox News Rules" under their username can't be taken seriously.
right on! fox news: unfair and biased

Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 PM

43 posts, read 57,521 times
Quote:
get a life those things directly affect others

Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
You just might have gone out... of... your... mind.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
We may as well get used to seeing it on the ballot (and not just in CA either, but other states as well) because familiarity is what it's going to take. Like everything else, people will get "used" to it an eventually won't care about it...then it will pass. We've seen stuff like that time and time again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California