Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
I think you need to buy a home in Mammoth Lakes for Summer and Spring , and Bishop for winter and Fall.
Mammoth in Winter is hell, and Bishop in summer is an even worse hell with fireballs(well ok not really).

That area is very small with no other major city around, so if you need to live in a place with people, you might go crazy. Very beautiful place with the Sierras and White mountains.
I find the place to have too much of a cult-ish feel to it. There are way to many churches for the amount of people there.
Sounds like a perfect place for a summer cabin!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,097 times
Let's hope the OP has a thriving internet business. Last time I was in Bishop (2005) there was decent cell phone coverage and decent internet (at least in the hotel where I stayed). This was not true in the mid 90's.

Best of luck to the two folks asking about the area.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Let's hope the OP has a thriving internet business. Last time I was in Bishop (2005) there was decent cell phone coverage and decent internet (at least in the hotel where I stayed). This was not true in the mid 90's.

Best of luck to the two folks asking about the area.
And they better have a backup plan for their ISP. I can imagine an outage would take a while to fix.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,513 times
I would move to Bishop in a heartbeat after I retire in few months if my SO could hack it. The Eastern side of the Sierras completely fascinates me and I would love nothing more than to roam around up there with my camera gear until I dropped! What a great way to check out; up in the Bristlecone Pine "forrest" as the sun sets watching the shadow creeping across the valley until lights out. Hopefully someone would download the last of my pics to enjoy and leave the carcass to rest in peace!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
I would move to Bishop in a heartbeat after I retire in few months if my SO could hack it. The Eastern side of the Sierras completely fascinates me and I would love nothing more than to roam around up there with my camera gear until I dropped! What a great way to check out; up in the Bristlecone Pine "forrest" as the sun sets watching the shadow creeping across the valley until lights out. Hopefully someone would download the last of my pics to enjoy and leave the carcass to rest in peace!
Me to. As for work, I'm an insurance adjuster and the company I once worked for has a location in Bishop. I'd often run into the Bishop guy in Ridgecrest (our territory, grrr) and confiscate his claim and work it myself. He was lucky I wasn't vindictive and didn't go back to my boss who would've had to call his boss. But I often wondered when the next time I'd run into Dan in Ridgecrest. Or the Servicemaster guy would call me and say Dan's down here, and here we'd go again. I coulda had his job if I'd been mean enough.

Sometimes Dan would call me and ask if I could go up towards Bishop a ways out of Kern County when he was busy and that was ok by me. So it all worked out in the end. Never quite got clear to Bishop though.

If you get some hankering for the "big city" you can always head to Reno.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Me to. As for work, I'm an insurance adjuster and the company I once worked for has a location in Bishop. I'd often run into the Bishop guy in Ridgecrest (our territory, grrr) and confiscate his claim and work it myself. He was lucky I wasn't vindictive and didn't go back to my boss who would've had to call his boss. But I often wondered when the next time I'd run into Dan in Ridgecrest. Or the Servicemaster guy would call me and say Dan's down here, and here we'd go again. I coulda had his job if I'd been mean enough.

Sometimes Dan would call me and ask if I could go up towards Bishop a ways out of Kern County when he was busy and that was ok by me. So it all worked out in the end. Never quite got clear to Bishop though.

If you get some hankering for the "big city" you can always head to Reno.
How funny - I used to be an insurance adjuster when I lived in Fresno. I moved to LA in 1994 and got into insurance compliance and will be retiring soon.
Anyway, I was able to work one whole claim in Bishop. I worked out an agreement with my manager to handle the claim as part of my vacation time (I was going to the Bristlecone Pine forrest on vacation) and got a free night, meals, etc. in return. Had a great time, the claim thankfully was a very straighforward property claim and the contractor was a hoot to work with!
One never knows; my SO may get fed with with living here, accept a lack of variety up there, sell the house here and go! I can dream, I guess....

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
How funny - I used to be an insurance adjuster when I lived in Fresno. I moved to LA in 1994 and got into insurance compliance and will be retiring soon.
Anyway, I was able to work one whole claim in Bishop. I worked out an agreement with my manager to handle the claim as part of my vacation time (I was going to the Bristlecone Pine forrest on vacation) and got a free night, meals, etc. in return. Had a great time, the claim thankfully was a very straighforward property claim and the contractor was a hoot to work with!
One never knows; my SO may get fed with with living here, accept a lack of variety up there, sell the house here and go! I can dream, I guess....
When I lived in Pasadena I often worked property claims on agreement with my manager for vacation time. I did work comp down there but he knew I had another hat to put on if needed (only if it stormed and we had overflow work). He really wanted me to stay in Pasadena, but my wife didn't like it down there.

My transfer from Bakersfield to Pasadena went through the weekend after the LA Riots, lol.

"Insurance complaince" you say? I've been through an OBAE (not sure what they have renamed themselves now) audit at that same Pasadena office. Didn't go to bad on us. We were able to mitigate some of their fines right on the spot. Our manager was happy with the overall performance as well. So we all kept our jobs.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM

My primary area of expertise in insurance compliance is producer licensing, insurer licensing and handling surplus lines (non-admitted insurance) taxes. Seems to be an area claims people get into because it is very technical and instead of dealing with insured and claimants, you deal more with the state regulators. Depending on exactly what a person does in comliance they may be involved with handling complaints etc. and all in all can be very challenging and rewarding.
Yesh, I guess LA (although I think Pasadena is very nice) isn't for eveyone and to move here right after the riots wasn't the greatest timing! I live in Highland Park directly between downtown LA and Pasadena. If you are familar with HP you know it hasn't been the greatest area but it is changing for the better - property values are changing the dynamics here plus it is vey convenient to eveything so is attracting a younger more affluent crowd.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
My primary area of expertise in insurance compliance is producer licensing, insurer licensing and handling surplus lines (non-admitted insurance) taxes. Seems to be an area claims people get into because it is very technical and instead of dealing with insured and claimants, you deal more with the state regulators. Depending on exactly what a person does in comliance they may be involved with handling complaints etc. and all in all can be very challenging and rewarding.
Yesh, I guess LA (although I think Pasadena is very nice) isn't for eveyone and to move here right after the riots wasn't the greatest timing! I live in Highland Park directly between downtown LA and Pasadena. If you are familar with HP you know it hasn't been the greatest area but it is changing for the better - property values are changing the dynamics here plus it is vey convenient to eveything so is attracting a younger more affluent crowd.
Yeah, that timing wasn't up to me, lol. The transfer was involuntary when work dried up in Bakersfield and they found me a slot in Pasadena or Anchorage. I chose Pasadena.

Almost rented in Glendale, but ended up going out to San Dimas when my boss recommended I look further east (he had a home in RC).

I do like meeting all the people we run into as insurance adjusters so I think I'll stay in claims. Meet some real characters that way, hehe (One time in Ridgecrest....)

I guess that comes from my Dad, he was a claims manager and likes people. I grew up working all kinds of claims on weekends with my dad (diagramming accident scenes, measuring roofs, etc. I bet ya don't know to many people who worked Coalinga earthquake claims when they were 13.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,837 times
I'm A CNA WORK private....would love to find a job out thier, also if anyone is willing to help me out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California