Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Wow thanks for your wonderful contribution!
Don't you just love how they proved your point?
Quote:
they despise their fellow citizens.
You think they at least could have waited a couple of pages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
I'm glad the pro-pollution prop lost.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
There is no hate for Texas. But when two Texas oil companies funded a proposition to stop California's global warming law it became a battle cry. Texas became a target. Then Whitman praised the Texas economy and the Texas governor, Perry; that was not a smart thing to say. Then Newsom, running for lieutenant governor, used the phrase in TV ads: "Texas oil companies; don't mess with California." Throw in the World Series and Texas got a lot of attention in California. But don't worry; it's just politics and California has a lot to deal with.
Why wasn't Whitman praising the Texas economy as smart thing to say? It's the truth, you know. I know first hand. I lived in CA for 14 years. I moved to Texas in September.

The difference in economies is astounding. Much more glaring that I ever thought I'd see. Things are BOOMING here. It's not perfect. But in comparison, Texas hits it out of the park.

As for "clean air" - the air here in the Dallas area is also not perfect, but a LOT better than the cesspool called LA.

There is no hate for CA. But there is sadness.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm glad the pro-pollution prop lost.
Too bad AB32 and Prop 23 has nothing to do with pollution. You voted on the wrong thing.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why wasn't Whitman praising the Texas economy as smart thing to say? It's the truth, you know. I know first hand. I lived in CA for 14 years. I moved to Texas in September.

The difference in economies is astounding. Much more glaring that I ever thought I'd see. Things are BOOMING here. It's not perfect. But in comparison, Texas hits it out of the park.

As for "clean air" - the air here in the Dallas area is also not perfect, but a LOT better than the cesspool called LA.

There is no hate for CA. But there is sadness.
CA needs cleaner air requirements out of necessity. The topography in some areas concentrates the air pollution. There are a couple areas like LA and the Bay area with dense populations. I'm often dismayed as I drive up I-5 or I-15 anywhere near LA. The smog is horrendous. Heck, the view from morro rock in Sequoia NP is becoming just a haze now because of air pollution.

So yes, CA needs tough air standards. However, even with the standards we have now, the air quality is poor. I too would rather breathe Dallas air than LA air. Well, unless I was within a few miles of the Pacific with an onshore flow. It scares me to think how bad it would be if tough standards were not in place.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Too bad AB32 and Prop 23 has nothing to do with pollution. You voted on the wrong thing.
^ this

Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 PM

149 posts, read 357,704 times
Quote:
Yesterday the San Francisco Giants beat the Texas Rangers. Tonight the people of California rejected the Texas oil companies attempt to stop global warming laws by voting No on Prop 23. Gavin Newsom said to Texas, "don't mess with California."

The California Firewall stopped the horde of Republicans at the Colorado River.
Not everybody here in Texas is from Texas. We have a lot of carpet baggers from California in Austin and San Antonio like that guy who came to there to flip houses put his Cali attitude on folks and make them angry.

While I fail to see the connection between the Giants and the Ranger and global warming but nobody in Texas really cares that the Giants won. They played a good game. A really good game and the Rangers' were off.

One last note, I believe that California is biggest users (abusers) of oil and gas in the US. I remember as kid, California cars had to have a special emission different from the rest of the US.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
californio sur you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters

Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Congrats california, for supporting cap and trade carbon taxes. By 2020 we need to achieve 1990s carbon levels lol. Also this is going to affect any industry that emits co2 either directly or indirectly. That means if your business: emits carbon dioxide, uses electricity, uses the sewer system, uses the water system, uses automobiles then their net cost of doing business will increase. Basically, any business that uses energy will have their costs go up. Good laugh california! and you guys wonder why unemployment is 12%+, in top 5 highest unemployment rates.
This is why the cost of living will go up. Gas, utilities, anything that is trucked to your nearest store will cost more. Businesses and the middle class will start to move out of state (probably to Texas) leaving California to be an even bigger basket case than it is today.

As for the air, it seems fine to me. I don't know of anyone dying from pollution. Carbon dioxide makes up only 0.036% of the atmosphere (and a very small fraction of that is man-made). Plants and trees need it to survive.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Well guess what? A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G. which is shipped in via truck or other vehicle will get more expensive also. Just how do you think you currently get all the goods you use nowadays? How do you think your food is shipped and refrigerated? AB32 as written and if implemented, will make your current cost of living go up, way up.
He doesn't care. He lives at home with papi and mami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California