Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times

Advertisements

George Gilder: California's Destructive Green Jobs Lobby - WSJ.com

"This was the California referendum to repeal Assembly Bill 32, the so-called Global Warming Solutions Act, which ratchets the state's economy back to 1990 levels of greenhouse gases by 2020. That's a 30% drop followed by a mandated 80% overall drop by 2050. Together with a $500 billion public-pension overhang, the new energy cap dooms the state to bankruptcy."

I thought going green was good? I guess the green everyone keeps talking about is not money. Ever try buying milk with carbon credits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
This is more premature drivel from people who want the state to fail.

They gleefully opine about their fantasy to finally come true-for California to fall into the ocean. If that can't happen literally, they settle for the next best thing buy praying, hands clutched that our economy will falter so they can finally rest knowing that letting businesses will be able to roam free like rabid dogs.

California is doing the right thing, and the right decisions now will beget the right outcome later.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,430 times
The only way to achieve the ludicrous reduction in CO2 (a harmless and odorless gas that plants need to grow so they can produce oxygen for us humans) is to evict a large portion of the population, voluntarily or otherwise. Global Warming is a religion and has no place in the laws of a civilized society. Does this mean California is uncivilized? Possibly.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Quote:
The only way to achieve the ludicrous reduction in CO2 (a harmless and odorless gas that plants need to grow so they can produce oxygen for us humans) is to evict a large portion of the population, voluntarily or otherwise. Global Warming is a religion and has no place in the laws of a civilized society. Does this mean California is uncivilized? Possibly.
I used to say that the only people in the world who denied man caused global warming were the Chinese Communists and the American right wing whacko. Strange bedfellows indeed. Today though, the ChiComs have come around.

Quote:
The only way to achieve the ludicrous reduction in CO2 (a harmless and odorless gas that plants need to grow so they can produce oxygen for us humans)
This sentence shows a complete lack of understanding of the processes at work, but, I am not surprised.

In San Luis Obispo there is a solar electric company, they have grown in the past few years to over 500 people, people who earn money and pay taxes, it would seem that the contention of the original poster, is baloney, but, we knew that as soon as we read it, now didn't we?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

California is doing the right thing, and the right decisions now will beget the right outcome later.
I don't see how losing over a million jobs in the name of pursing climate goals based off of inconclusive scientific claims while chasing an irrational metric based entirely on theory is doing the right thing.

The outcome is unattainable and vague. This is social engineering and its most outrageous.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
The article is simply one man's opinion and could very well be based upon voodoo science as I suspect many of Al Gore's blatherings are. But maybe not, on both counts. Only time will tell.

However, I fear the end result will be fewer manufacturers, plants, distributors, etc. will be willing to risk/invest in California due to what will inevitably be higher costs to function within the confines of AB 32. Cleaner air will be worthless if fewer people can afford to breathe it!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:51 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,699,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is more premature drivel from people who want the state to fail.

They gleefully opine about their fantasy to finally come true-for California to fall into the ocean. If that can't happen literally, they settle for the next best thing buy praying, hands clutched that our economy will falter so they can finally rest knowing that letting businesses will be able to roam free like rabid dogs.

The premature drivel is coming from those willfully ignoring the failing industries that already exists in California and wanting to head a completely new direction.

The poor economy, in conjunction with California's unfriendly business climate of late, has increased unemployment rates. Instead of trying to replenish the existing industries with jobs, the far left wants to head towards an entirely opposite direction touting green jobs that won't come to fruition for years.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
he poor economy, in conjunction with California's unfriendly business climate of late, has increased unemployment rates. Instead of trying to replenish the existing industries with jobs, the far left wants to head towards an entirely opposite direction touting green jobs that won't come to fruition for years.
I guess he missed my post about the Californi solar company that increased from 50 workers to over 500 in the past few years.

Talking with another friend last night at dinner, his central coast company has added 15 workers in since June.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,699,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I guess he missed my post about the Californi solar company that increased from 50 workers to over 500 in the past few years.

Talking with another friend last night at dinner, his central coast company has added 15 workers in since June.

One company consisting of 500 workers alone isn't going to save California.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Ah, I see, so, you figure there is only one company in the state that is undergoing this metamorphosis?
How quaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California