Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times

Advertisements

Between August and September, 16 states and the District of Columbia
recorded statistically significant changes in employment. The largest
over-the-month statistically significant job gain occurred in the Dis-
trict of Columbia (+16,500). The largest over-the-month statistically
significant job losses occurred in California (-63,500) and New York
(-37,600). (See tables C and 5.)

Over the year, seven states and the District of Columbia reported stat-
istically significant employment increases, while one state experienced
a statistically significant decline in employment. The largest statist-
ically significant over-the-year employment increases were posted in Texas (+152,800), North Carolina (+49,300), and Indiana (+39,200). The only statistically significant job loss occurred in New Jersey
(-42,300). (See table D.)

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

OH!!!!!! by the way Texas kicked our ass in Manufacturing as well here is the Report: State by State comparison on page 34 of the report from the US Census Bureau:

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/...ease/ft900.pdf

At Least Jerry Brown will have a good model to follow. Maybe he should invite Rick Perry over for some wine.(whine)

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 11-11-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,178,776 times
maybe you should move to Texas if you hate California so much. Good riddance.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
MUAH I love you too!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
The numbers don't lie. The productive sector continues to abandon this over-regulated, overtaxed paragon of lefty virtues.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Honestly, I'm just tired of negative threads all the time. Despite the economy and politics, California is still a great place with a plethora of beauty and things to explore.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
I see no one mentioned Canada, also - which has taken probably at least as many CA jobs as Texas if not more.

Given the sad realities it's time to cut back on the "progressive paternalism" AND to stand up to the CCPOA.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:29 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
California doesnt really lose that many jobs to other states. Its a huge LIE that is constantly repeated by disgruntled Republicans as their way to attack economic policies of Democrats.

In reality, the overwhelming number of jobs here are created and lost in California, they arent created and then moved elsewhere to any degree big enough to matter.

The Public Policy Institute took a look at the data and concluded that all this talk of companies leaving to find cheaper states to do business in actuality was widely overblown.

The study looks at the years of 1992 through 2004 and shows that California has not had a mass exodus of businesses. Most of the business relocations have occurred within California, usually to an adjacent county where land prices are cheaper.

There is the usual ebb and flow of businesses in and out of California but are replaced by new businesses that move into California or start here.

In the words of the study:

"[T]he small number of California jobs moving to other states due to business relocation is relatively inconsequential—about 11,000 jobs per year out of more than 18 million (.06 percent). Business births, deaths, contractions, and expansions have a much greater effect on employment."

Claim of California Jobs Moving Out of State Shown by Study to be a Myth - California Progress Report

Furthermore,
Californians continue to create far more new businesses than the total of businesses that leave the state-by a VERY WIDE MARGIN at that.

Quote:

It's not true that businesses are fleeing the state, Henton said. Adding up the numbers of businesses that started up compared with those that closed or moved elsewhere showed that the state gained a net average of 58,500 new businesses each year from 1995 to 2008, the report said.

California leads nation in green tech - SFGate
Furthermore, I find it totally ironic that somebody who brings up the MYTH that California jobs are moving en masse to TX but doesnt also bring up OUTSOURCING to India, China etc.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you guys dont mind that.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:31 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,921 times
Quote:
Sounds like you're gainfully EMPLOYED...One has a different perspective when they've lossed their jobs...After 3 job losses, we're forced to move to greener pastures. I don't leave this state without mixed emotions as I've lived here my whole life.

All the natural beauty and fantastic weather won't mean much if one can't earn a living...

Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 PM

I like you, 18Montclair

Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Sounds like you're gainfully EMPLOYED...One has a different perspective when they've lossed their jobs...After 3 job losses, we're forced to move to greener pastures. I don't leave this state without mixed emotions as I've lived here my whole life.

All the natural beauty and fantastic weather won't mean much if one can't earn a living...
I wonder if people will ever figure this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California