Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
How can this be a Federal issue when California welcomes illegal immigration with open arms and even officially declares major cities as a sanctuary for the illegals?
The state hasnt declared any such thing-that assertion is an exaggerated stormfront talking point.

Some cities are simply saying that they arent going to actively go after illegals-which in my opinion is fine cause IT SHOULDNT BE THEIR DAMN JOB to spend resources on that in the first place!

Quote:
California created this problem and they should be responsible for fixing it.
Oh and how pray tell did California "create" this problem? By not securing its NATIONAL border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Strength in numbers.

Come on. Who are we kidding here? The Latina/o population is already a majority in CA. If not, they will be sometime in our lifetimes. And they vote. Of course they are going to get what they want.

And those of you saber rattling on the issue: Like the pragmatists say-be careful what you wish for.

If they go, your low cost fruit and produce, gardners, and general laborers, and tasty fish taco trucks go with them.

NO one in CA would dare let anything happen to the tasty fish tacos. The food alone will ensure that "business as usual" continues. Never mind the bigger issues.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Strength in numbers.

Come on. Who are we kidding here? The Latina/o population is already a majority in CA. If not, they will be sometime in our lifetimes. And they vote. Of course they are going to get what they want.

And those of you saber rattling on the issue: Like the pragmatists say-be careful what you wish for.

If they go, your low cost fruit and produce, gardners, and general laborers, and tasty fish taco trucks go with them.

NO one in CA would dare let anything happen to the tasty fish tacos. The food alone will ensure that "business as usual" continues. Never mind the bigger issues.
Are you assuming every Mexican here is illegal?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The state hasnt declared any such thing-that assertion is an exaggerated stormfront talking point.

Some cities are simply saying that they arent going to actively go after illegals-which in my opinion is fine cause IT SHOULDNT BE THEIR DAMN JOB to spend resources on that in the first place!

Oh and how pray tell did California "create" this problem? By not securing its NATIONAL border?
Sanctuary city

San Francisco: Sanctuary City Gone Awry

SANCTUARY CITIES AND STATES INFORMATION RESOURCE

Like I said, California has welcomed illegal immigration with open arms. The illegal’s know they can come to California and be fed and protected.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I want $10 a head lettuce and $5 tacos! Maybe then we'll face the issue and create a sensible program for guest workers, one that pays them a fair wage but requires them to pay taxes, pay unemployment insurance, and requires them to pay for their own health insurance. Once we have a fair program in place then maybe we'll get back to $2 heads of lettuce and $1.50 tacos. Yeah they'll be more expensive than now but at least the cost will be obvious instead of being hidden in our increased taxes.

If you don't like lettuce or tacos then at least you can just not buy them instead of paying for everybody else's lettuce and tacos via your taxes.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Sanctuary city

San Francisco: Sanctuary City Gone Awry

SANCTUARY CITIES AND STATES INFORMATION RESOURCE

Like I said, California has welcomed illegal immigration with open arms. The illegal’s know they can come to California and be fed and protected.
Once again, you exaggerate that the state itself sanctions 'santuary city' policies and that's false.

Furthermore, you continue to deny that this is a federal issue. Which it most certainly is.

Cities, Counties and States are not in charge of the national border, no they are in charge of their individual jurisdictions and cope with this issue the best way they see fit.

But if the Fed were doing its job-cities and states wouldnt have to think of ways to deal with it. WOULD THEY?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. And I'll bet major California Republican politicians are going to jump on this as yet another political wedge issue which will further marginalize their already low political standing in the state.
Precisely, Silverkris... I heard the ass-hat author of this latest misbegotten initiative being interviewed on KKKFI, and he said exactly that. The host confronted him with the long odds faced by such a proposition in California, and he said "At least it will bring Republicans to the polls, and we can get rid of Obama".

Anyone remember 2004, when several battleground states suddenly had anti-gay marriage initiatives on the ballots? Redneck-baiting is the GOP's national sport.

Here is the headline and first paragraph from a recent L.A. Times article. These clowns have to know there BS intiative doesn't stand a chance in this state:
Californians hold positive views of immigrants; most oppose deportation

In a recent poll of likely voters, 48% said immigrants are a benefit to the state, and 59% said illegal immigrants who have held a job here for two years should be allowed to stay.

LOS ANGELES TIMES/USC POLL

October 24, 2010|By Cathleen Decker, Los Angeles Times
Repeated clashes over illegal immigration have marked the state's political races for years, but a new Los Angeles Times/USC poll found that voters hold positive views about immigrants overall and favor accommodating illegal immigrants who have held down jobs in the state.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Once again, you exaggerate that the state itself sanctions 'santuary city' policies and that's false.

Furthermore, you continue to deny that this is a federal issue. Which it most certainly is.

Cities, Counties and States are not in charge of the national border, no they are in charge of their individual jurisdictions and cope with this issue the best way they see fit.

But if the Fed were doing its job-cities and states wouldnt have to think of ways to deal with it. WOULD THEY?
I'm not exaggerating, if anything I'm not explaining the full extent of the issue. When I say California I'm talking about the major cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco where the mayors have declared their cities as sanctuary for illegal aliens. Why do you think there is such a heavy concentration of illegal aliens in these cities?

Here is action from the state level ...
In-state tuition OK'd for illegal aliens

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
I'm not exaggerating, if anything I'm not explaining the full extent of the issue. When I say California I'm talking about the major cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco where the mayors have declared their cities as sanctuary for illegal aliens. Why do you think there is such a heavy concentration of illegal aliens in these cities?

Here is action from the state level ...
In-state tuition OK'd for illegal aliens
Because the jobs are there and there are plenty of unscrupulous employers who look the other way to hire them!

Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Are you assuming every Mexican here is illegal?
Let's set the record straight. First of all, it is probably questionable that all or even a majority of Hispanic Americans are in favor of illegal immigration or undocumented workers. Cesar Chavez certainly wasn't, because he reasoned that the existence of undocumented workers would undercut the wages of the working class (such as the workers represented by his United Farm Workers). Much of the US Border Patrol staff are Latino as well.

But it's probably safe to say that most if not all Latinos are against using illegal immigration to stereotype or scapegoat Latinos as a group, and unfortunately a lot of debate on immigration starts to fall into wedge political issues that turn into cultural debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California