Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM

41 posts, read 247,331 times

Advertisements

Looking for an art colony to explore (and possibly live in or by). I"m familiar with Cambria but not Carmel. All help will be appreciated! Interested in rentals, jobs, schools (I have a little one and I am looking for an art college to attend). Also, what's behind or around Carmel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Both are really beautiful communities but Cambria is a fraction the size & influence of Carmel though I think Cambria is cool. Nearby San Simeon and Hearst Castle are great places to explore.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Carmel is larger land wise or town wise?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimyart View Post
Carmel is larger land wise or town wise?
Both.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Cambria is very limited in terms of it's local businesses, jobs, schools and economy. Think quaint, sleepy little village along the coast.

Carmel is connected to many other cities on the Monterey Penninsula (Monterey, Pebble Beach, Pacific Grove, Seaside, Marina, etc...) which offer more in terms of employment, education, rental options, activities for children (museums, aquarium, sports), etc... Plus the art scene is bigger in Carmel along with the music scene and a host of other activities (golfing, racing, mtn biking, sailing/boating, kayaking, etc...).

As far as schools for you take a look at csumb.edu‎ and MPC. It depends if you are going for a degree or just some classes to start out.

I highly suggest visiting both places before considering a move. What type of work will you be trying to find?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-03-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm currently at Property Manager (onsite) here in Los Osos and have an art shop in Morro Bay. But it's a bit slow and boring here for me.... CSUMB offers a degree in Visual and Public Art which I would enjoy thoroughly as I am a muralist already... I wonder how Carmel is doing in this economy?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM

230 posts, read 623,534 times
Quote:
Looking for an art colony to explore (and possibly live in or by). I"m familiar with Cambria but not Carmel. All help will be appreciated! Interested in rentals, jobs, schools (I have a little one and I am looking for an art college to attend). Also, what's behind or around Carmel?
Hi!
I've lived around the Cambria area off and on for years, and have spent countless days in the Carmel area, too.

Carmel, the town, is definitely larger than Cambria. Cambria has many creative people and artists, but is definitely a hamlet with few art resources. There is no art school to speak of in SLO County, other than taking art classes at one of the public colleges in San Luis Obispo (SLO.) I absolutely love the Cambria and SLO area, and it's definitely less expensive than the Carmel area, but you may find opportunities limited in terms of education.

Carmel has many galleries, but most of them serve the tourist trade, and it's not as artist-oriented as you think it would be. I think that Pacific Grove and Monterey (especially "New" Monterey by the Aquarium) is going to give you more of that artsy feel, without being too commercialized. You're more likely to find yourself living next door to an artist or creative type in one of those areas, than in Carmel. Rentals are pricey, but I'm not sure where you're coming from, so it could be subjective.

I agree that the schools up there have some great programs in the arts. Not sure if you're looking for a university or workshops, etc. Santa Cruz has amazing arts programs at the University, and there are some great areas nearby like Capitola, that you might enjoy.

I've also heard good things about Benicia, but perhaps someone else can speak about that.

If you can give us a bit more info on what you're seeking specifically regarding art school, and rental prices, we can give you a better idea.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM

230 posts, read 623,534 times
Quote:
I just realized that you only live a few hours away from Carmel right now. Sounds like a great Sunday morning road trip to explore Carmel and the surrounding areas. Carmel does have a great art center near town.

If I had any friends or family in that area, I would seriously consider moving there myself. Pacific Grove is my idea of heaven.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
I'm currently at Property Manager (onsite) here in Los Osos and have an art shop in Morro Bay. But it's a bit slow and boring here for me.... CSUMB offers a degree in Visual and Public Art which I would enjoy thoroughly as I am a muralist already... I wonder how Carmel is doing in this economy?
Well its a tough economy for everyone. But that said I can tell you that events still bring in the lion's share of business and potential customers to the Monterey Penninsula. For example next month the Pebble Beach ProAm will bring in hordes of people with money to spend in the local shops, hotels, restaurants, etc... We have many such large events throughout the year which really boost the economy. Plus you have Carmel, Pebble Beach and Monterey which have a lot of affluent residents. So I would say there is a greater potential for customers in a down market. If you just look at the numbers alone there are simply more people visiting the area as well as residents to look at artwork, even if all incomes were equal. Morro Bay is very sleepy by comparison.

These are just some things to consider when looking for a target market for such things as artwork.

Derek

Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
When it comes to art I would head to Mendocino. You can't throw a rock with out hitting a art gallery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California