Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
The question should focus on what can the government afford to pay. Because it is true that public sector workers often take lower pay for better benefits. Speaking from the federal employee level, the benefits are good, but not great - but the federal government split its retirement system more than 20 years ago and those that joined after 1987 have comparatively fewer benefits, especially guaranteed benefits (since most of the retirement benefits will come from a 401k and not a pension).

Has California reduced their benefits for new employees? I believe government at all levels need to transition to a 401k type retirement for all, where there's no future obligation of payouts. This puts the risk of the performance of the stock market on the employee.

The problem the U.S. faces in general is pension obligations in the trillions of dollar. We cannot meet that burden without significant cuts to services - so how do we progress when most of our money is paying for services rendered a decade ago?

That said, it was the deal that was made when the employees were hired, so they are owed something. Pension cut for income tax free living? It will take a while for those under the old system to die off, but the benefits structure has to be revamped completely for the next generation of public worker.
One of the problems with "afford to pay" is that this can be squeezed to practically nothing by the trade offs in funding other programs. You literally can develop a budget where there is practically no funds for state employee pay and benefits.

Regarding the changes made back in 1984 to Federal retirement, if you read over the recent report from the Little Hoover Commission they recommend a combined defined benefit and 401K program.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Not sure who gets three months off, seems that most teacher either take recert classes or get summer jobs, except for the ones with condos on the French Riviera or Tahiti I guess, but, without a summer break for teachers, there were be a lot more maimed children, I think.

Gentoo, did you tell me MCRD was closed? My nephew reports to boot camp at MCRD soon, could they have moved boot camp to Pendleton but kept the old name?
It's not what it was. A lot of it was sold off by like I said, I don't know the extent that the military still uses. There are apartments,a high school (High-Tech High) and even some stores in there now.

Also, I agree. Not many teachers actually have a 3 month vacation and when they have jobs in the summer, they also spend half that time getting ready for the following school year and dealing with all the bureaucratic crap they have to deal with throughout the year not to mention living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'll push your wheelchair out there for you. Can I have the gun after you're finished with it?
Thank you. And by all means. If I do it right the first time I won't be needing it again.

Feel free to pass it on when you're done.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You don't know much about teaching do you?
Its funny when people reply to others they disagree with this sort of nonsense.

Yes, I know about teaching, next?

PS. A teacher that is living paycheck to paycheck is doing so because they aren't managing their finances well.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Not sure who gets three months off, seems that most teacher either take recert classes or get summer jobs...
Is this suppose to be serious? Teachers don't get the summers off because some of them decide to work second jobs? I mean....really?

Teachers have to do some level of work in their off time (summer, winter break, etc), but on average it isn't much.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
So you can tell me why neither of us have health benefits after putting in respectively, 23 and 30 years?
I have no idea about the details in your case, but they aren't the norm. Firefighters typically get health benefits for live and teachers get health benefits until 65 and then medicare.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

PS. A teacher that is living paycheck to paycheck is doing so because they aren't managing their finances well.
No what's funny is how some have to make a sideswipe remark about others agreeing when we don't agree with that person (ie. you). We have all explained why we said the things we've said yet all you've done is make remarks about the fact we said it. You haven't given any reasonable explanation. Then you had the audacity to state that a teacher who may be living paycheck to paycheck isn't properly managing their finances LOL! So you're saying that the majority of teachers (yes I said majority) are just poor at budgeting?

Last edited by Gentoo; 03-07-2011 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
I have no idea about the details in your case, but they aren't the norm. Firefighters typically get health benefits for live and teachers get health benefits until 65 and then medicare.

Quote:

Quote:
Is this suppose to be serious? Teachers don't get the summers off because some of them decide to work second jobs? I mean....really?
Teachers have to do some level of work in their off time (summer, winter break, etc), but on average it isn't much.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
No, you are wrong,

Quote:

I bet you think teachers get three months paid vacation. In fact, teachers are paid for 185 days, or nine months of work. Yet, the year is 12 months long. It is true that some teachers get a check in July and August, but, their nine month year is totaled and divided by 12. Which means they get nine months pay spread over 12 months, either that or they get checks for 9 months, then nothing.

Teachers also get paid for a 30 or 35 hour work week, which sound like they have a great deal of time to play, yet, most teachers put in 50-60 hours a week. My wife seldom got home until 6 or 7 at night, school was out at 3:00

Folks, just a warning, user-id will argue anything, whether he knows a darned thing about the subject or not, notice the over generalizations...

Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Folks, just a warning, user-id will argue anything, whether he knows a darned thing about the subject or not, notice the over generalizations...
You sure you're not conflating "anything" with "over generalizations"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California