Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 34,735 times

Advertisements

Been reading several of the posts here the past week or so and have gotten some great information here about different areas in Southern California. I'm currently living in Austin, TX however am seriously considering a move to Southern California to be closer to the beach.

I have several years of sales/sales operations experience in the high tech area so I'd be looking to get a similar professional job in the Southern California area. I'm pretty sure it would be extremely difficult to secure employment without first moving out there although I do understand that would be the best way to go about it. Although financially it wouldn't be an issue for me to move out there first and then try to find a job - I've got sufficient funds to not have to worry about that. The issue with moving before getting a job would most likely be a situation where I find work although it may not be close to where I live and the commute becomes a huge issue

I'm in my mid 40's and single and very active as I run marathons, triathlons, etc......I want to live close to the beach (within a few miles) and would be renting an apartment. The areas I'm thinking about are South LA County/North Orange County and am thinking Long Beach, Seal Beach, or Huntington Beach. I really like Huntington Beach.

Would love to get some recommendations and comparisons about the differences in South LA County vs North Orange County

Thanks,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Isn't it cheaper in Austin than SoCal? Aren't there more jobs there too?

What is your housing budget?

Specifically what would you like compared between these places?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 AM

388 posts, read 849,037 times
Ouch, usually I see people going the other way around for cost of living purposes, but if you can afford it, its not a bad move. I've only ever visited, so I am sure others will be of more assistance, but I liked northern OC better than LA county.

Assuming you dont care about commute, and you've done all your homework on the housing prices and what you can afford, I would go with Huntington Beach as well.

Just be ready for the upcoming questions on why you would move to such an insanely expensive area coming from a very cheap area without even having a job yet...its a real hard sell on these forums.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM

Charles, yes Austin is cheaper and there may be more jobs. Housing budget would probably be around $1,300-$1,500/month and I'd probably be looking for a 1 BR Apartment fairly close (mile or 2) to the beach. I grew up on the East Coast and have moved around a bit. Always wanted to live near the beach and feeling the time is right, plus I have the financial resources to do it.

Jifie, yheah I've seen a lot of the posts of people wanting to move to southern cal without a job and they get slammed. I understand that although it's not like I'm just out of college. I have some good work experience and have done well with my cash. Having said that I do understand that securing a well paying job in an area where I have few connections will probably be tough - although doable

Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
of the areas you mentioned i like long beach the best because it is more of a 'big city' but also is closer to LA, yet not too far from major employment centers in OC. belmont shore is a great neighborhood with 1br apartments that should be in your price range. hopefully you have a skill set that is in demand in the area so you won't be too long without work.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks BRinSM, I've got several years of sales and sales operations experience in the tech industry - Software and Hardware and will be looking for similar jobs. Seems like Irvine may be an opportunity to target for work although I would still want to live in one of the beach towns - i.e., Long Beach, Huntington Beach

LA probably has more jobs although not sure I want to live up there unless I was possibly in the South Bay area

Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Plenty of two bedroom townhouses in your price range in Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa. Gets a bit pricier in Newport Beach / Seal Beach / Long Beach. General rule is try to stay within 1.5 miles of the ocean.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Plenty of two bedroom townhouses in your price range in Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa. Gets a bit pricier in Newport Beach / Seal Beach / Long Beach. General rule is try to stay within 1.5 miles of the ocean.
Dinsdale, do you live in Huntington Beach? That's very high on my list. Just wondering a bit about the ages of people there. From what I see there are a lot of very young people there which is okay with me. I'm in my mid 40's although am really a lot younger than my age. Are there older singles there as well? And what would the commute be like say into the the Irvine area?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California