Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 AM

36,686 posts, read 67,691,708 times

Advertisements

WOW

Why did their new arena fall through?

Sacramento Kings Of Los Angeles-Anaheim? | NBC Bay Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:05 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,796,498 times
Quote:
The Honda Center is just 30 miles away from Staples Center, the current home of the Lakers and the Clippers.
hahahahaha is nbc high. Honda center is not 30 minutes away from staples. Maybe with an empty freeway going 90 without any cops. Anaheim is separate from LA although the angels think otherwise.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,532,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
hahahahaha is nbc high. Honda center is not 30 minutes away from staples. Maybe with an empty freeway going 90 without any cops. Anaheim is separate from LA although the angels think otherwise.
30 miles vs 30 minutes

30 miles from Staples Center to Honda Center = 2 hours.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
WOW

It looks like they do have a plan to build an Arena, it is just not approved yet and it will of course require tax payer $ (of which I guess Sac residents don't want to pay):

Mayor Johnson says arena efforts will continue, Kings or no Kings - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/21/3418006/mayor-johnson-says-arena-efforts.html - broken link)

Also the Kings are next to the bottom on home attendance:
2010-2011 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,796,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
30 miles vs 30 minutes

30 miles from Staples Center to Honda Center = 2 hours.
whoops me and my tired eyes read it wrong

Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,709,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
WOW

I can't blame the Maloof brothers (the owners of the Sacramento Kings) for looking at relocating to Anaheim. They had the opportunity to relocate to other viable cities like Las Vegas, but they decided to stay in Sacramento in hopes of building a new stadium to replace the outdated Arco Arena. What the article didn't mention was the millions of dollars spent by the Maloof brothers to have a new stadium built in Sacramento. For some reason, it just never panned out.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,270,348 times
Sacramento is kind of a really odd city when it comes to sports.

The metro area is larger than places such as Indianapolis, Charlotte, Kansas City, Nashville and Milwaukee, yet those metro areas all have multiple pro teams and multiple pro facilities. Yet, Sacramento can't even adequately support a single major league club.

Other places I've lived, like Cleveland, Kansas City and Philly, you'd see folks wearing team jackets or shirts, and have team logos plastered inside of car rear windows. Here, you see absolutely none of that at all.

I have little doubt the Kings are seriously considering leaving, the support for the team isn't all that strong here. I doubt if over 10% of the population here would be upset about their departures.

Very odd.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Sacramento is kind of a really odd city when it comes to sports.

The metro area is larger than places such as Indianapolis, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Nashville and Milwaukee, yet those metro areas all have multiple pro teams and multiple pro facilities. Yet, Sacramento can't even adequately support a single major league club.

Other places I've lived, like Cleveland, Kansas City and Philly, you'd see folks wearing team jackets or shirts, and have team logos plastered inside of car rear windows. Here, you see absolutely none of that at all.

I have little doubt the Kings are seriously considering leaving, the support for the team isn't all that strong here. I doubt if over 10% of the population here would be upset about their departures.

Very odd.
This is just my opinion, but Californian's in general don't really care about sports anymore unless they are winning. Cleveland, Kansas City and Philly are sports towns.

There are just so many other things to do in California, sports aren't that important.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 AM

964 posts, read 2,651,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is just my opinion, but Californian's in general don't really care about sports anymore unless they are winning. Cleveland, Kansas City and Philly are sports towns.

More homogeneous fans. Ninety five percent of people in Cleveland are from Cleveland, grew up in Cleveland, always rooted for the Cleveland teams, and had parents who rooted for the Cleveland teams.

In Los Angeles half the people are from some east coast or midwest city and their hearts are really with their origin city teams but they'll root for the LA teams when they're winning.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
More homogeneous fans. Ninety five percent of people in Cleveland are from Cleveland, grew up in Cleveland, always rooted for the Cleveland teams, and had parents who rooted for the Cleveland teams.

In Los Angeles half the people are from some east coast or midwest city and their hearts are really with their origin city teams but they'll root for the LA teams when they're winning.
Good point, but also who wants to miss Snowboarding, Surfing or Mountain Biking to watch the game?

Surfs up vs Basketball on Saturday morning? I'd be hitting the water personally. But I have to say that Denver is pulling me into the sports pages on espn.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California