Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind, however, that the discussion has the team staying in California.

Just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Keep in mind, however, that the discussion has the team staying in California.

Just saying...
They also looked at Nashville and Vegas too.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Weird that an area than doesn't even have a single NFL franchise would be home to a third NBA franchise. They'd probably be better off moving to the South Bay area of the SF Bay Area, I heard on the news a few weeks back that Larry Ellison was thinking about bringing a NBA team to HP Pavillion since he didn't get to buy the Warriors. I think the Bay Area could support a second NBA team better than the LA/OC area supporting a third one.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,616 times
If SD builds a new arena the kings could move there but if the kings are going to do that they might as well build an arena in Sacramento. Is it this difficult to get a new arena in Sacramento

Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,700,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Weird that an area than doesn't even have a single NFL franchise would be home to a third NBA franchise. They'd probably be better off moving to the South Bay area of the SF Bay Area, I heard on the news a few weeks back that Larry Ellison was thinking about bringing a NBA team to HP Pavillion since he didn't get to buy the Warriors. I think the Bay Area could support a second NBA team better than the LA/OC area supporting a third one.
Gotta agree with you there. Although, I'm sure the Maloof brothers would do far better than LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling. They have a lot of energy and if they managed to resign Chris Webber in a "Cow Town", then I'm sure they would do well no matter where they go.

I just think Sacramento gets a bad rap because there aren't many night life activities for franchise players. Anaheim would surely attract free agent players.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
I should preface my rant by saying in advance that I spent the first 13 years of my life growing up in Chicagoland. Being born in 83, I grew up in the Jordan era. So outside of catching the bulls in town or watching the lakers come by I really have no use for the Kings, though I appreciate their presence. I do think it is funny that people in bro-cal are getting excited, but hey one mans trash is another mans treasure.

The fact of the matter is this, by and large California's sports fans are stereotyped as being fickle and fair-weather when compared to their counter parts back east. And there is some truth to this. But on the same level, I give Californians credit, in the sense that for the most part they don't tolerate losers. And by losers I mean loser players, loser coaches, and most importantly, loser owners. And to Sac's defense, attendance was high when the kings were winning.

If you want an idea of how a sizable chunk of Sacramento feels about the Kings and the Maloofs, ask some people in LA how they feel about the Raiders and Al Davis's tenure there. Ask some one in Oakland how they feel about Lew Wolf and the A's. There is absolutely no connection between the owners and the city, despite efforts from both sides.

The Maloofs are hurting, they just sold their family brewery I believe, the Palms is struggling, and the kings just are not a selling ticket right now. How ever when they do things like make carl's jr million dollar burger commercials and get dui's (as do staff and players on the team) it gives the public the general perception that these are just a bunch of Rich playboys with poor morals playing around with their inherited wealth.

When you factor in that Sacramento is a hard hit foreclosure town, with high unemployment, and a good amount of working-middle class people hanging in there, and government workers terrified of cut backs, there is going to be a clash of personality types of sorts.

The biggest problem is the fact that like most Californians, people in Sacramento think they can get by with their dilapidated infrastructure. Things like this are the exact reason you saw the gas line explosion in the bay area. People seem to have this assumption that poor and or antiquated infrastructure is fine simply because it is there. And make no mistake, arco, or what ever it is called now, is poor.

The NCAA wont even play there because it is "unfit" for college basketball. When the deftones had a home coming tour, they went to the amphitheater in Marysville in 100 degree heat because all the people involved with the tour felt arco was sub par. California has some of the most sub par sports facilities. The niners, raiders, A's, Kings, Angels, chargers, all play at some of the most god awful pro sports facilities I have seen in my life.

But at the end of the day what can you do, you can't ask a city and populace that is already broke to pony up for a new arena, when there are infrastructure and civic institution issues? Private funded stadiums have been proven to be a myth, even the crown example of SF and the Giants was not privately funded. The city ponied up 80 million in infrastructure costs and let the giants "borrow"(technically i think it is still sf city land) prime real estate to build the stadium.

I really don't know where the Maloofs will end up and I wish them luck. Though choosing Anaheim to me would not be a good indicator of solid business thinking. You can go to a Lakers-warriors game and half the stadium in Oakland will be Lakers fans. And the Warriors draw a good crowd. I can't imagine them having much success in the Lakers back yard.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,616 times
And whatever LA-loyal fans the lakers don't have the clippers have so there will be no room for the kings to do anything. Either stay in Sacramento or move to SD. Economically they should stay in Sac where they have a large fanbase.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
They can look to Vegas, Seattle, Kansas City, Ohio, pittsburg, there are so many cities outside of California that would be more than happy to get it done

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,140,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed. They should move them to San Jose. Although this may hurt the Warriors. I'd assume there may be some difficulty using the HP pavillion though, since NHL and NBA season overlap significantly.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Good point, but also who wants to miss Snowboarding, Surfing or Mountain Biking to watch the game?

Surfs up vs Basketball on Saturday morning? I'd be hitting the water personally. But I have to say that Denver is pulling me into the sports pages on espn.com.

Yep, very true. In fact, when there's a really good game on like LAL BOS or something, I hope the weather sucks so there is nothing competing with the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California