Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Interesting...

Opinion: California can lead on immigration reform by passing the Dream Act - San Jose Mercury News

Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I'm kind of reluctant to leave this thread up, illegal immigration is a bad topic for this forum. But let me at least frame the discussion from the emphasis in the article and see if the discussion can be civil.

From the article, the focus is on the following:

Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, R-Claremont, and I will present starkly different proposals for how to treat immigrants who were brought to California at an early age and now want to achieve educational success.

I will propose that through the California Dream Act and AB 130, we allow undocumented students to apply for higher education financial assistance. Donnelly will argue for the repeal of AB 540, the law that allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at our colleges and universities.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
It's interesting that Cedillo, who is a proponent of the Dream Act bill, conveniently ignores the other problems in California resulting from excess illegal immigration. Public education is one of the largest expenditures in the California budget, which we are upside down with a debt of 27 billion dollars.

Others will call me a racist for sharing this opinion of mine but Cedillo is just the latest Hispanic who have voiced in favor of rewarding illegal immigration by trying to get bills passed to circumvent the current laws against illegal immigration. Cedillo has unsuccessfully tried to get bills passed to grant illegal immigrants drivers license nine times. That should say something about his track record.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm kind of reluctant to leave this thread up, illegal immigration is a bad topic for this forum. But let me at least frame the discussion from the emphasis in the article and see if the discussion can be civil.

From the article, the focus is on the following:

Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, R-Claremont, and I will present starkly different proposals for how to treat immigrants who were brought to California at an early age and now want to achieve educational success.

I will propose that through the California Dream Act and AB 130, we allow undocumented students to apply for higher education financial assistance. Donnelly will argue for the repeal of AB 540, the law that allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at our colleges and universities.
Does that mean "One Bill Gil" will now be known for "two bill Gil"?

This guy is just pandering the Latino vote again. Even the democrat voters will not allow their tax dollars to pay of illegal immigrant's college costs.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 10,896 times
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

What about LEGAL immigrants? My significant other went to a UC and had to pay INTERNATIONAL FEES, even though her dad works in the USA, pays taxes to the USA and state of CA, and was a top notch hardware engineer who's resume included working at Apple/Nokia/Google. Her family had been living here for 6 years and waiting for a green card when she was an undergrad. Now it has been 10 years, and still no green card for her dad and family. She likely will only get a green card when we get married after she finishes her master's at the private school she currently attends.

Also, what about my US CITIZEN friends from other states who went to a UC/CSU? They also had to pay exorbitant fees to study in CA.

Get this BS bill out of here.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
as an interesting side note, the previously hardline Arizona legislature has just voted down 5 new bills strengthening their anti immigration laws.

They did so under intense pressure from Arizona business interests who have found Arizona's hardline anti immigration laws have cost the state's businesses up to 150 million dollars in lost income.

The fact is, that the illegals are here. The fact is, if they were removed much of California's agricultural economy would collapse, that is a 40 billion dollar segment of the economy. Agriculture also supports a far wider range of economic assets, from growers to truck dealers to tractor dealers, to Porta Potty companies, to supermarkets to Walmart to railroads to trucking companies, to restaurants and diners, to farmer' markets throughout the state. The taxes paid by businesses, workers, truckers are an strong percentage of the taxes taken in by the state, California's deficit would mushroom.

The real question is, what can be done about the illegal problem without collapsing the economy. Arizona shot itself in the foot. Would you like to see California do the same thing?

I see many posts complaining about the illegals in one way or another, I see very few that suggest an actually workable solution.

America is not going to deport 12,000,000 people, (we do not have enough cattle cars) so get over that.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The real question is, what can be done about the illegal problem without collapsing the economy. Arizona shot itself in the foot. Would you like to see California do the same thing?
If only the problem were limited to CA and AZ...

There is only one solution but the first and only really meaningful step will be to somehow add a limiting time reference to the 1st line of the 1st section of the 14th. All other meaningful measures require this change.

Anything short of that is thumbing our collective noses at the notion that the US is a nation based in law, equality and justice.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If only the problem were limited to CA and AZ...

There is only one solution but the first and only really meaningful step will be to somehow add a limiting time reference to the 1st line of the 1st section of the 14th. All other meaningful measures require this change.

Anything short of that is thumbing our collective noses at the notion that the US is a nation based in law, equality and justice.
Let me repeat; "I see very few that suggest an actually workable solution."

Even if your idea happened tomorrow, California is still economically dependent on illegals, your idea does not address that.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times
Quote:
The taxes paid by businesses, workers, truckers are an strong percentage of the taxes taken in by the state, California's deficit would mushroom.
You referred only to taxes by someone other than the illegal immigrants themselves.

Quote:
I see many posts complaining about the illegals in one way or another, I see very few that suggest an actually workable solution.
Any workable solution will be shot down.
  • Compel them to pay for the anchor baby hospital care they have received? No.
  • Compel them to pay for the public schooling their anchor babies have received? No.
  • Compel them to pay for any of the taxpayer-funded social services they have received? No.
  • Compel them to finally go through the naturalization process including to learn English? No.
  • Rehabilitate them from their welfare state mentality? Impossible.
  • Instill in them a sense of responsibility by which to have only as many children as they themselves can afford to raise? Impossible.

They're here for the very simple reason that they ignore our laws, have no respect for those laws and see taxpayer-funded social services as exploitable. How can you cause such people to behave responsibly? You would have to change their mentality completely.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
How about giving them amnesty, then let them pay taxes? They'd then be paying their share of the expenses they incur. No wait. That's too much. That'll mean they'll be allowed to vote. Which further increases Latino political clout and diminishes white power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California