Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
Oh Okay. I lived in Bakersfield for a short time. But I hate being away from the coast. And I hate hot days. Like some people love Palm Springs, well I cant stand it.

My husband's grandma lives in San Fran so we are planning an upcoming visit and hope to have enough time to check out the bay area in person, as well as drive down to Monterey. What is it, a 2.5 hour drive to Monterey from there? I would love to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium while Im there too, and walk Cannery Row. Wish I had a better camera to take pictures.
Yeah, it's about 2 -2.5 hours depending on the time of the day/traffic and where in SF you are going. Try not to do things during rush hour. It will bring back memories of LA freeways and gridlock = not fun.

We sometimes like to take the scenic route down Hwy 1 through Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. If you haven't seen either I would recommend taking Hwy 1 one direction and Hwy 101 the other. That way you can see San Jose and the South Bay communities as well.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,499 times
LOL, you want to move to coastal areas of the Bay Area because you think Newport is too expensive? You're in for a rude awakening.

If you want temperate climate, Oakland is your best bet. It never gets hot or cold because it's located by the water and you'll be able to find homes under $500 per sq feet. You'll want to live as far east of 880 as possible. The closer you get to 880, the more ghetto it is. Hercules is nice too

Forget Los Gatos, its cost per sq foot is the same as NB.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 AM

75 posts, read 319,485 times
Thank you Derek, I will take the most scenic driving route. His grandma lives in Livermore. Not exactly in SF. But close enough that we can do a little sight seeing.

Thank you to travel bug for the home listings. I did look in Pacific Grove and loved what I saw. Seems like a great place to live.

Thank you to josh for suggesting leaving OC for Oakland. That gave me a nice laugh. That's like saying I plan on leaving OC to move to Compton or Inglewood or Crenshaw. Wont be happening! But thank you for making me smile.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
Quote:
Oh Okay. I lived in Bakersfield for a short time. But I hate being away from the coast. And I hate hot days. Like some people love Palm Springs, well I cant stand it.

My husband's grandma lives in San Fran so we are planning an upcoming visit and hope to have enough time to check out the bay area in person, as well as drive down to Monterey. What is it, a 2.5 hour drive to Monterey from there? I would love to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium while Im there too, and walk Cannery Row. Wish I had a better camera to take pictures.
Bakersfield is not that bad once you get over the culture shock. The big plus is the friendly people I come across and amazingly, I'm meeting more and more people who have relocated from the coastal areas.

Don't forget about going down to Carmel by the Sea. And before heading over to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row, check out Fisherman's Wharf and then possibly take a walk down Alvarado Street (really not that interesting for me, but it is for other folks).

Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM

If you come to Monterey/Carmel, my vote for must sees is to visit Point Lobos which is just south of Carmel.

Derek

Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
If you come to Monterey/Carmel, my vote for must sees is to visit Point Lobos which is just south of Carmel.

Derek

Hey Derek, have you gotten the chance to take a photo of the infamous Lone Cypress Tree at Pebble Beach? Back then, I used to hear that the company would go after anyone who took a photo because it was a "copyrighted logo."

Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Hey Derek, have you gotten the chance to take a photo of the infamous Lone Cypress Tree at Pebble Beach? Back then, I used to hear that the company would go after anyone who took a photo because it was a "copyrighted logo."
Yeah, it seems kinda silly to me. But obviously they aren't going to stop tourists/visitors from taking pictures of cypress tree. That happens every day. Rather their copyright logo rule applies if someone uses a photo of the tree for commerical purposes, publications, etc... without their consent. And I think it extends to other parts of Pebble Beach as well like the golf courses.

Derek

Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Quote:
Thank you Derek, I will take the most scenic driving route. His grandma lives in Livermore. Not exactly in SF. But close enough that we can do a little sight seeing.

Thank you to travel bug for the home listings. I did look in Pacific Grove and loved what I saw. Seems like a great place to live.

Thank you to josh for suggesting leaving OC for Oakland. That gave me a nice laugh. That's like saying I plan on leaving OC to move to Compton or Inglewood or Crenshaw. Wont be happening! But thank you for making me smile.
Poor Oakland. The city really does suffer from a bad reputation to outsiders. Oakland does have really bad areas, much like Compton or Crenshaw, but it's a big city with many neighborhoods, including really nice ones with multimillion dollars homes, nice cafes and shops, and everything in between. Compton or Crenshaw are much smaller cities than Oakland, and bad areas of Oakland are about the same size. If the bad parts weren't called "Oakland" but had some other city name, like Compton, then Oakland would be considered nice. To say that Oakland as a whole is a bad area because it has bad neighborhoods would be like saying LA was a bad area because of Compton or Crenshaw.

Just as a point of reference, all of these photos are pics of Oakland! The recommendation to look at Oakland was a very wise one. Oakland is really trendy at the moment.

http://www.leblogluxe.com/images/clabedan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/10//claremont_resortspasan_francisco.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California