Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times

Advertisements

Why wouldn't we want universal healthcare? The CA state government has done a remarkable job managing the DMV.

In all seriousness, this is a really bad idea. Mostly, because it is completely unworkable. Just look at Obamacare. Everything the critics said would happen, is happening. If there were any real competition in healthcare, none of this would be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:26 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
... 7 Million Californians have no health care coverage at all. ...
Untrue. They are self-insured.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
... I think states should band together and demand that any money they spend to care for undocumented patients should be reimbursed to them by the federal government.

So... since the state government is funded by taxpayers, and the federal government is funded by taxpayers, you're really just proposing that taxpayers use money in their right pocket to reimburse expenses incurred by the left pocket.

Are you by chance a product of the California public school system?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Since they are mandated by the law to be covered by ER's at no charge, we might as well cover them as well. ...
Or, we could change the ER law and we could deport the ~22 million illegal aliens.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Being self-employed, I have private individual health insurance that I paid for myself. Despite the lack of use because of good health, my premiums have gone up to the tune of at least 10% per year. Premiums have been rising because of insatiable demand for health care in the form of uninsured people going to ERs for hang nails, causing hospitals to raise their fees to recoup their losses from unpaid ER visits. Those that have insurance bear the brunt of these high fees. The insured are in effect subsidizing the uninsured. This has been the case long before Obamacare. This is the status quo. It's unsustainable.

By mandating that everyone buy health insurance, Obamacare increases the size of the insurance pool to include young, healthy people who may not yet need insurance today but someday will. Those who say they are healthy and don't need insurance are deceiving themselves. You will get sick one day. Or you will have an accident. Without insurance, you will then hightail to the ER and likely not pay your bills, causing the rest of us to BAIL YOU OUT.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Being self-employed, I have private individual health insurance that I paid for myself. Despite the lack of use because of good health, my premiums have gone up to the tune of at least 10% per year. Premiums have been rising because of insatiable demand for health care in the form of uninsured people going to ERs for hang nails, causing hospitals to raise their fees to recoup their losses from unpaid ER visits. Those that have insurance bear the brunt of these high fees. The insured are in effect subsidizing the uninsured. This has been the case long before Obamacare. This is the status quo. It's unsustainable.

By mandating that everyone buy health insurance, Obamacare increases the size of the insurance pool to include young, healthy people who may not yet need insurance today but someday will. Those who say they are healthy and don't need insurance are deceiving themselves. You will get sick one day. Or you will have an accident. Without insurance, you will then hightail to the ER and likely not pay your bills, causing the rest of us to BAIL YOU OUT.
While I generally agree with your statements about needing to have universal coverage, I have a significant problem with a mandated insurance plan that pays everything for everyone, without deductions or copays.

If mandating insurance coverage, there should be a significant deductible and copay. Otherwise, the insurance wouldn't be affordable over the long run.

Hence, my strong objections to SB 810.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
So if Universal Health Care is NOT the solution, then what are the fixes to the problems Senator Aanestad himself brings up: Anyone have a solution?
I thought that the Single Payer System was only ONE of the options to finance Universal Health Care. What are the others? Obviously Single Payer is not the way to go.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportandMisty
Or, we could change the ER law and we could deport the ~22 million illegal aliens.
That's a federal issue. Im only concerned with Calfornia and we dont have 22 Million illegal aliens, probably closer to 2-3 Million. With respect to State Senate Bill SB810, what do propose is the solution for the 7 Million Californians that have no health insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
So... since the state government is funded by taxpayers, and the federal government is funded by taxpayers, you're really just proposing that taxpayers use money in their right pocket to reimburse expenses incurred by the left pocket.
Well, currently California loses $30-50 Billion of federal taxes collected here and its spent in other states.

I make no bones about taking money that we gave to DC in the first place and putting it to use HERE instead of a moocher red state that builds bridges to nowhere on California's dime.

If that's what your asking then yes, that's exactly what I am saying.

Quote:
Are you by chance a product of the California public school system?
I dont believe I was being anywhere near as hostile as you are trying to be here.

Tone it down.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Untrue. They are self-insured.
What does this mean?

I gather from your posts that you think Im looking for some sort of argument when in reality, Im seeking to get the opinions of other Californians on a huge issue that is indeed a major concern for our people.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
What does this mean?
Self insured means that they pay for health insurance privately since they are either not covered through their employer or they are self-employed. More expensive, obviously, and subject to indiscriminate rate increases (e.g. the recent hikes by Anthem/Blue Cross).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California