Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but talk about getting wrapped around the axle by minutia! If this is the biggest issue in your life, you're doin' good.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 11:36 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrotech View Post
I recently signed a lease to an awesome apartment in California. While I was moving in, I noticed that the backdoor facing the alley didn't have a deadbolt. A friend of mine told me that the landlord is supposed to provide deadbolt locks on all outside facing doors.

I asked the landlord if he could put a deadbolt on the back door. Now granted that the backdoor is enclosed by a 6 foot wooden fence providing me with a nice patio space, the door to the patio leads into my bedroom. It still faces the alley. At any rate, the landlord told me that he wasn't required to install one, however I was welcome to contact his locksmith (due to matrixing / master key restrictions) to have a deadbolt installed at my expense and to expect it to cost $100.

I asked about the requirement and he said that he is only required to put a deadbolt lock on the front door which. My front door actually faces his house on the same property.

The landlord's responded with inquiring with his attorney who stated this:

From: "***** ***** (******@evict123.com)" <evict123@*****.com>
Subject: Re: Legal Question from AOA Member

Pursuant to Civil Code Section 1941.3 a landlord must:

Install and maintain an operable dead bolt lock on each main
swinging entry door of a dwelling unit.

Based on your description, you do not have to do this for the back door.

The first thing I found extremely disconcerting was the attorney's website: www.evict123.com

I responded saying that being that my car will be parked in the rear, my main entry door will be the back and I much prefer to have a deadbolt lock there.

I haven't even moved in yet....

If the pros of moving into this apartment really outweighs the lack of a deadbolt lock, I would've coughed up the $100 myself or not move in at all.

On the other hand, if you have serious concerns about your safety, then you should probably start looking for a safer neighborhood. That's just me, however.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:

I responded saying that being that my car will be parked in the rear, my main entry door will be the back and I much prefer to have a deadbolt lock there.

Then get a deadbolt because it is your choice to park back there and use the rear door as the main entry door.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times
If the back patio area is accessible and enter into the main dwelling it IS required to by the landlord to provide a deadbolt on the door if possible. If that door can be enter through an alley but still goes into the home and NOT a garage then it is required, NOT the double sided key ones either.. they are not allowed on rentals.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
If it's a swinging door, and it enters the unit, yes, he has to provide a deadbolt on it. Otherwise, it's not considered habitable. This would include a swinging back door.

If it's a sliding door, then no.

Here's the actual code:

http://housing.ucsc.edu/cro/pdf/locks.pdf

And here are your legal remedies:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

If this is a swinging door that you've asked for a deadbolt on, I think you should not move in. This landlord is in love with threatening to evict tenants who ask about their rights. He could have provided you with that info from a kinder source. Really intimidating to use an eviction site. What a jerk.

You're also supposed to have locks on all windows that are intended to open, BTW.

Also, as far as I know, you are only required to provide keys to the LL if you change/add a lock. Does your lease state that you have to have his locksmith key all locks with a master key?

You know, a cheaper option, should you decide to do it yourself, would be to buy a lock, take it physically to the LL's locksmith, let him rekey it to the master key in his shop, then you take it home and install it. Shouldn't cost much if there's no house call made.

Anyway, I'd look for a different place, if possible. I see trouble down the road with this LL.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 12-26-2013 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Sumpin wacky going on with my links heah...

Old 12-26-2013, 02:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
I recently signed a lease to an awesome apartment in California. While I was moving in, I noticed that the backdoor facing the alley didn't have a deadbolt. A friend of mine told me that the landlord is supposed to provide deadbolt locks on all outside facing doors.

I asked the landlord if he could put a deadbolt on the back door. Now granted that the backdoor is enclosed by a 6 foot wooden fence providing me with a nice patio space, the door to the patio leads into my bedroom. It still faces the alley. At any rate, the landlord told me that he wasn't required to install one, however I was welcome to contact his locksmith (due to matrixing / master key restrictions) to have a deadbolt installed at my expense and to expect it to cost $100.

I asked about the requirement and he said that he is only required to put a deadbolt lock on the front door which. My front door actually faces his house on the same property.

The landlord's responded with inquiring with his attorney who stated this:

From: "***** ***** (******@evict123.com)" <evict123@*****.com>
Subject: Re: Legal Question from AOA Member

Pursuant to Civil Code Section 1941.3 a landlord must:

Install and maintain an operable dead bolt lock on each main
swinging entry door of a dwelling unit.

Based on your description, you do not have to do this for the back door.

The first thing I found extremely disconcerting was the attorney's website: www.evict123.com

Great reason to not move in or go purchase a home and help the economy! If you don't want to leave the apartment, ask the owner if you can add your own deadbolt.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:27 PM

You know what, I'm amending my opinion on this one.

I just looked at the website for the eviction attorney. Turns out he used to be the president of the Apartment Owner's Association, which is what the LL referenced in his email - that he was a member of the AOA.

The website allows landlords to ask him questions for free. It makes sense that the LL would know of him from his AOA membership, and why not ask an attorney a question for free?

Plus, this attorney provides free contracts and other forms you can download right off his website. I looked at the contract and it's actually a good contract, IMO. There is a section regarding alterations not being allowed to the property, including locks, without LL's written permission.

Then, as I see in the email, the attorney said, "based on your description" of the door, he doesn't need to put a deadbolt. I'm guessing this means it's not a swinging door.

Anyway, if the contract you have is the one from that attorney's website, you can't add a lock without his written permission. The exception would be if it was a swinging door, per the CA code on habitability. But, I'm betting it's not.

So, if I'm right in my new assumptions, I think it would be fair for you to pay for the lock if you want it, going the cheap route I mentioned above, and get it keyed to the master key. Be sure you have it in writing from the LL that you can put it in. Sounds like you have an email to that effect, which would work.

Sorry for my back and forth on this. I came back to this thread as I was curious about that website, and after surfing it, I changed my opinion

Old 12-26-2013, 04:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Great reason to not move in or go purchase a home and help the economy! If you don't want to leave the apartment, ask the owner if you can add your own deadbolt.
OP probably isn't too concerned - original question was asked over two and a half years ago.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
OP probably isn't too concerned - original question was asked over two and a half years ago.
Ha ha! I so hate when I do that

Old 12-27-2013, 05:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Ha ha! I so hate when I do that
Oh well, the research done is useful for anyone else with similar inquiries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: