Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM

41 posts, read 55,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Seems like a lot of "the grass is greener on the other side" sentiments here. The criticism given for Fresno are true of the majority of cities of its same size across the country, not to mention the other larger cities in California.
I'm from Chicago and have lived in Tucson, AZ and Jacksonville, FL both around the size of Fresno (not Chi town of course!).

Fresno is almost suffocating for me in terms of it's lack of things to do. The lack of Parks (voted one of the worse in the country), museums, culture, things to do period is very unusual for a city this size.

I've met people from other parts of the country who formed clubs about how much they disliked it when they lived here. I've never seen this in another city I lived in. I feel the same way. The mayor and radio announcers (KMJ are always going on about how great it is and the thought crosses my mind "thou protests too much".

I do love the people here, honestly the nicest and least pretentious people I've ever met as a whole. Fresno's people are by far and away Fresno's greatest quality IMO.

Fresno is unattractive, has little water (dry, dusty, very yellow and brown), dirty, polluted. The trees even look odd and very asymmetrical, it's just not an attractive place to live.

some of Fresno's best qualities are.. the weather (way better than IL, always sunny), the mountains nearby, Millerton nearby, the Zoo, the north side (River Park area), and the fresh produce and of course Fresno's great people.

My whole life I've lived in places with tons of parks, historical living towns and farms, huge science complexes, museums etc... I moved to tulare, CA (Fresno is better than this!) and Fresno when I had a baby (when I really needed things close by) . I have felt so stuck with a small child here. In any of the other towns I listed there is much more to do nearby with a little one. If I didn't have a child, there would be more but it's still really limited.

I don't think I'm a negative person. I really love Chicago (except the weather!), Tucson and Jacksonville. Fresno and Tulare are the only place I've lived in that I really dislike this much. I think people from here might like it more because their family is here.

People without small children, or with extended family or who live in some of the nicer areas probably find it much more tolerable than I do. The thing is, when you don't have small children, you can leave Fresno more often or take advantage of the nearby Wineries and night life. But it's still not really due to Fresno itself being a wonderful place to live.

If I had family here it would be much more palatable. I think people who grew up here associate it with the affection they have for living near family. Without family, it's kind of a desolate place IMO.

Last edited by BethMac; 06-05-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,293 times
Default It's really not all that...

I grew up in a SoCal city on the Beach. When my husband got a job offer In Fresno we jumped at the offer. Cheap houses and good schools. Well the houses are cheap because your PG&E bills are $1,000.00 a month. If they aren't that high... you are suffering day and night. The schools? My kids had that all sewed up in a few years. Drugs, sex and alcohol! The better the pedigree of the child the more money they have to spend on drugs. By the way... I don't fit the profile either. We lived in a beautiful gated home in Fig Garden. I owned my own retail store.... We encouraged our children to leave and never go back.... After 25 years.... So did we! By the way... We sold our home in fresNO and ran... Never looked back ... There is a wonderful life out there after fresNO! Run don't look back! Don't be scared. Just get out before it sucks the life out of you!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Why do you hate Fresno? I Don't

I don't hate Fresno California , well let's just say that I hate the air pollution of the valley cities..

Fresno short coming are these (1) not being a World Class City (2) not expanding the city limit out
into the foothills more so to escape the air pollution....

What's that saying about Fresno " Nothing Here " " Everything Near " ( the second highest Mountain
Peak ) in the United States is only 60 Miles Away give or take a few miles...wrap your mind around that!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Harrier would rather live in Alaska than Fresno.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Who's Harrier!?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Two words: downtown Fresno.

Honestly, I've never seen a down town as depressing as Fresno's. That said, there's some nicer parts of Fresno as well. It's not like it's all bad and then Clovis.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default Tuesday's vote?

How did the election to privatize garbage collection go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California