Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,249,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
If you want to teach in California or even sub here, you must have passed the CBEST.

Also, California doesn't have a reciprocal teaching credential arrangement with Florida, so you will have to get a CA state teaching credential. There's an awful lot of hoops to jump through. You can start an emergency Spec. Ed. credential and be hired by most districts. You also need to CLAD to teach here, yet another waste-of-time-and-money 12 units. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Also if you teach or plan to teach Special Education in California, you need an Autism Credential. All current sped teachers must have this 12 unit/4 classes credential by October 2013. I would stay in Florida or find another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,763 times
Thank you so much for all of your responses and advices. Yes, I am quite aware of the exams and re-certifications that I probably have to take if I end up moving back there. This is another reason why I am iffy about it. I've never really looked into teaching in private schools. I know someone had mentioned that they would probably prefer someone with the same religious background (which, I don't really practice any). I was looking into charter schools as well but I hear that's also very competitive and I am sure they probably have preference for in-state graduates as well over out-of-state.

Anyway, right now I am about to start my last internship in Orlando. I am not from there, so there's a chance that I might move back home to my parents' area in Jacksonville but this place is horrible right now with all the hiring freeze (as I am sure many other counties are probably going through as well). If all else fails, I was just going to try to sub for a bit and also plan to possibly apply at DoDEA. I don't know how that would go but, again, it's something.

The reason I chose California is because I still have some relatives living out there and I am highly considering pursuing my Masters and program that I want is being offered up at Cal Berkeley. I wanted to move back to get a residency status so that I won't have to pay so much money. I feel like I am on a "roll" right now when it comes to my education and I am worried that if I take a break, I might have difficulty going back. I was thinking of staying in California for the meantime, teach a little until I am considered a resident (which I believe is a year) then apply for college. =/ But I guess I have a lot of some reassessing to do. *sigh*

Anyway, thanks again for all of your responses. They're all greatly appreciated!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,784,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
Just wanted to add to my above-post that the best place to look for teaching jobs is through Teach for America. All of these TFA positions are in inner-cities or educationally-distressed areas of the country.

~Cali-girl
An excellent idea! Good luck in your search.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM

44 posts, read 115,771 times
Default Also Looking for Similar Advice

I am from CA and relocated to North Carolina for my husband's job. We want to move back to CA ASAP. (I've been here for 5 months and need to get back to my culture) In the meantime I'm going back to school for Special Education. I will be getting a Master's in Special Ed and my North Carolina teaching license. I know the teaching field in CA is terrible right now. When I left, it seemed like every fresh teaching grad friend I had was going back to school for Sped! What I am worried about, is if i will have a hard time finding a job because I graduated from an out-of state school I enrolled at National University because I thought doing courses online through a school in CA would be better than graduating from an out of state school, but changed my mind because of cost ($15, 000 vrs $35, 000 ) Can some one give me their opinion on this? Also, I know that I will have to get the ASD and CLAD certs, take the CSETS and CBEST, and that some experience would be good. I'm hoping to gain some experience here in NC before we move back...hopefully a semester or 1 full year. Will I have trouble finding a job when I move back with my Master's from a NC school and NC teaching license? What can I do to make myself competitive for jobs? Also, will i be able to apply for jobs while the ASD and CLAD certs are in progress? I thank you for any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California