Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:23 PM

66 posts, read 261,049 times

Advertisements

You might rethink this. Lots of people including myself want to leave CA :high cost of living, generally over populated, high crime, more not so good schools than are good,extremely high housing, air quality suffers almost everyday,everywhere. In the Palm springs area, the hispanic population is huge and ,as a whole "they" live by different rules. The CA society, as a whole, is dog eat dog, do better than the Jones's, the faster the better. But the weather is fantastic,the cultural options are more than adequate,it's not too far to mountains, beaches,whatever. Shopping is pretty much around every corner. There is good and bad about everywhere. It depends on what is important to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 21,585 times
Default Stay away from CA

This is just one person's humble opinion, but I wouldn't recommend moving to California. California is one hypocrisy after another. It's phony, the people are rude and self-centered, people can't drive at all here, there's no culture (besides the overwhelming Mexican culture, but they're so numerous that it's like they're the majority), the feigned liberal, open-mindedness, the expense, the pollution..etc. The list goes on and on. If you were planning on moving to CA, why don't you consider New York? That's where I'm from. It may be expensive, but it's at least worth it. I mean, what does California have over New York besides nicer weather (if you like sunny days every day of your life..I personally don't) and palm trees? Palm trees aren't even native to California by the way. They were brought here from the Middle East a few hundred years ago. Living in California is like living on a perpetual bad movie set. Everything is planted and trimmed and covered up, because god forbid something isn't aesthetically pleasing in California!

I really suggest checking out New York. I don't regret my move to California because it has made me a stronger person and helped me experience something new, but jesus, I can't wait to get the hell out of here! New York has great food, great people, great shows, anything you can imagine to do. You have the city for entertainment and wonderful schools, you have Long Island for some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the Hamptons, wineries and great shopping (also in NYC of course), and a more family-oriented environment. Also, the public school system there is amazing.Then you have upstate for all your mountains, and gorges, skiing and snowboarding, peace and quiet, rivers, lakes, streams..you name it, New York has it. Plus you're close to Boston, Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Philadelphia, and other New England and Mid-Atlantic attractions. Like I said, this is one person's humble opinion, but it's definitely worth considering!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM

331 posts, read 2,110,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASmall13 View Post
This is just one person's humble opinion, but I wouldn't recommend moving to California. California is one hypocrisy after another. It's phony, the people are rude and self-centered, people can't drive at all here, there's no culture (besides the overwhelming Mexican culture, but they're so numerous that it's like they're the majority), the feigned liberal, open-mindedness, the expense, the pollution..etc. The list goes on and on. If you were planning on moving to CA, why don't you consider New York? That's where I'm from. It may be expensive, but it's at least worth it. I mean, what does California have over New York besides nicer weather (if you like sunny days every day of your life..I personally don't) and palm trees? Palm trees aren't even native to California by the way. They were brought here from the Middle East a few hundred years ago. Living in California is like living on a perpetual bad movie set. Everything is planted and trimmed and covered up, because god forbid something isn't aesthetically pleasing in California!

I really suggest checking out New York. I don't regret my move to California because it has made me a stronger person and helped me experience something new, but jesus, I can't wait to get the hell out of here! New York has great food, great people, great shows, anything you can imagine to do. You have the city for entertainment and wonderful schools, you have Long Island for some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the Hamptons, wineries and great shopping (also in NYC of course), and a more family-oriented environment. Also, the public school system there is amazing.Then you have upstate for all your mountains, and gorges, skiing and snowboarding, peace and quiet, rivers, lakes, streams..you name it, New York has it. Plus you're close to Boston, Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Philadelphia, and other New England and Mid-Atlantic attractions. Like I said, this is one person's humble opinion, but it's definitely worth considering!
I have to disagree with some of this... Not all Californian's are self centered hypocrites who can't drive! As for NYC... talk about rude!!! I lived in both and found New Yorkers much more rude. As for Culture...NY is certainly the way to go. I think CA has good drivers... if they drive with other Californians. Throw a slow driver in the mix and disaster. Yes, impatient drivers... after sitting in so much traffic for so long.. you get that way. But NY traffic!!! WORSE!!!! And They complain about rain in the state of WA...but did you know NY gets even more rain?

My point is every place has it's good and bad. It all depends on your priorities. I am originally from CA. I have lived a lot of places, now in WA state. And do I want to go back to CA? No... but nor would I move to NY city either. I have friends in both places, family in both places. Each of them love where they live with all it's good and bad.

As for the Hispanic population in CA... yeah when I left the Coachella Valley it was 54%. And some are great and some not. Just depends on what area you live in. Please remember... we are not apples. One bad doesn't spoil the whole bunch.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:25 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASmall13 View Post
Sounds to me like you're describing Southern California... Northern Calif. has some of those "qualities", but it's a much different world up here - especially as you head to the rural northern parts. We have less pollution, less traffic (though it's pretty bad in the Bay Area), colder weather, very few palm trees, and I personally think we're less shallow (overall). Anyway, please don't generalize the entire state, considering how enormous it is! I was born in Maryland, but moved to the Bay Area when I was 6... and I'm very thankful to have grown up here. We have our problems, that's for sure, though we also have a lot to offer.

P.S. It is funny you mentioned the "movie set" thing, since I just heard that on a talk show recently... some actor was telling Conan O'Brien about how L.A. does Christmas, and that it looks like a glitzy & fake movie set. LOL...

Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
Without addressing all the points of your illfounded rant, let me just toss this in
Quote:
Palm trees aren't even native to California by the way. They were brought here from the Middle East a few hundred years ago.
There are many kinds of palms, some of which are alien, however palms are native to CA. Pays to do a touch of research. I bring this point up to spot light one of the many erroneous statements in your post. As I read the negative posts by you and others, I cannot help but wonder about your general world view. It seems to me that their are plenty of people who are simply negative.

Look, land is land, people are people. Those who complain about one or another are simply complainers and will complain whereever they go. All places and all people are a mix of good points and bad, what you concentrate on says much about you (you being generic here).

For instance, right now, outside my California house it is -1 degrees, the yard is a frozen sheet of ice, I am tired of that, yet, I lift my eyes and see the sun rising above a middle distance mountain peak and I know I live in Paradise. I will soon trade my Paradise for another paradise. That paradise gets cold winds and fog, well sort of cold, 60 degrees, also has thousands of those illegal aliens many complain about. I don't, they till the soil and harvest the crops which allows me to have an income and eat well.

You can find hell or paradise wherever you are.

Our community has long been know as a landing place for those escaping what they see has problems elsewhere, Which is why our community has high rates of abuse, alcoholism, drugs. These people saw hell where they were, so they moved, and brought it with them.

Last edited by greatbasinguide; 01-07-2007 at 08:38 AM..

Old 01-11-2007, 04:09 PM

154 posts, read 910,311 times
Default NorCal vs. SoCal

I was born and raised in Northern CA, but lived many years in Palm Springs and other areas of Southern CA. My opinion is that somewhere around Fresno, they should cut CA in half and make it two separate states! They are too different too be lumped together as one. When people say that CA is this and that, most of those comments only apply to either Northern or Southern, not both. And most of the negative comments seem to reflect the Southern part of the state. Except for the "expensive place to live" comment, that pretty much applies to whole state. I like Northern CA much better for many reasons. I have a daughter and I would NEVER put her in school down in L.A. or Palm Springs. She would be a minority because she doesn't speak Spanish. I'm living in Flagstaff, AZ right now, and let me just throw this out there, this place is JUST AS EXPENSIVE as Northern CA was (not to mention the wages are very low here.) I'm moving back to the Sacramento area. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 PM

96 posts, read 751,228 times
Here, here, I have to agree that California is much less charm and much more glam than anything else anymore. I was born and raised here, and I cannot wait to get the hell out! One thread mentions watching the sun coming up over a mountian peak and knowing it's paradise. Well, if I could see the mountains through all the damn smog, I might feel the same way. Naah! What once used to be a beautiful state is now an overcrowded, over-liberal, politically correct melting pot of concrete and very little land (note that I am only referring to SoCal). There is not a time of day or night where I can get on a freeway and not hit traffic. It now takes me 20 minutes just to get to the freeway because of all the building they've done over the last decade. Oh, and you get all this for the low price of only $600,000 for a small house with no back/front yard built on land that used to be the ghetto where dead bodies were dumped. Now it's all built over to make way for the overabundance of population. One of the only things I like about SoCal is that you can go to the beach, the desert, the mountains and Disneyland all in one day (well, if it weren't for traffic!). Other than that, this place has lost its charm for me and I'm looking to get out while I'm still young enough to find a piece of paradise that doesn't mean 2 hours of traffic on the 91 FWY!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:27 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
It really becomes depressing hearing about the negative feelings towards California. I truly love my state!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:46 PM

76 posts, read 400,117 times
I wld say not being a native californian and wanting to move out of state for years, it is so dependent on where you live. We recently moved to Yucaipa and I am loving it. For the 1st time in years I am enjoying CA!

Being from NY originally I know everyplace has its + and - .

Old 01-12-2007, 07:03 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
bkeast, please do not confuse LA with the great state of California. If everything south of Castaic fell into the ocean, California would still be a great state to wander about in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California