Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will I have a very tough time dating interracial in Southern California?
Yes, what you heard is true 7 35.00%
Depends on which parts 3 15.00%
In most cases no 4 20.00%
Not at all 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 PM

58 posts, read 91,236 times

Advertisements

First of all I know interracial relationships happen a lot in that area of the US but I also know a bit more than just that. I know that it is mostly Black, White, and in some cases Hispanic males who have the privilege of dating and marrying women of different backgrounds. I am not Black, or White, or Hispanic.

I have an Asian friend (Korean) who used to live in Los Angeles and he has a cousin who lives there now. He lives in Orange County and he says usually White guys have their "pick of the litter" while Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern guys are left out in the cold and can only date and marry women from their own background.

Thing is I am a South Asian male. I would like to have the opportunity to date a White, Hispanic, Asian, or Mixed female when given the chance (area I am in now is mostly Black and I would date a Black girl if she was decent but I am not usually attracted to them). There is a lot about Southern California I love. I like that there are things to do there, I like that the weather is great, and I have heard the women are beautiful too.

But the people I have met from there tell me that if you are not a White, Hispanic, or Black guy, most women will cast you aside in a heartbeat. My friend said I can look Hispanic but if I tell a girl that I am South Asian, she will instantly reject me based on that alone and a lot of girls there are like that.

People who have had personal experience with this, is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 04:30 PM

And if you have seen men from my background date women of different backgrounds there then please do let me know and post about it on here. I really do not want to date women of my own background at all.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
I have no personal experience as I am neither Asian nor a woman, but it doesn't seem to be a common combination in socal. When I see middle eastern or south asian men, they are almost always with middle eastern or south asian women. Especially if they weren't born in the US. If they were born in the US it's probably easier.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I have no personal experience as I am neither Asian nor a woman, but it doesn't seem to be a common combination in socal. When I see middle eastern or south asian men, they are almost always with middle eastern or south asian women. Especially if they weren't born in the US. If they were born in the US it's probably easier.
What if they were born in their home country but raised in the US?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
South Asian as in....?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
South Asians are what Indians, Pakistanis, etc are referred to as in some parts of the world.

As far as dating, sure, but it depends on how you keep yourself. My wife is caucasian and has dated South Asians before. There are plenty that live here and I see them dating various women all the time. Culture is what matters, though.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
This is an interesting question which would be good to hear from some of the ladies on.

There are definately a lot of races intermingled throughout SoCal. But honestly I think much will depend on where you socialize primarily and who is there. For example I am partly hispanic with a hispanic sur name. Yet the majority of my friends where I grew up in SoCal (South Bay) were white. It was just the demographic in that part of SoCal at the time. Then I spent the majority of my early single years around mixed races in college. I dated asian, white, hispanic and persian women through college and beyond. Finally I met my wife at a church I attended which had mixed races and she is white. Our kids look white for the most part, unless in the sun a lot.

However there are parts of SoCal which are more into their ethnicity and they like to hang out with their own race. You even have churches which are 'hispanic' churches or Korean. That always seemed a little odd to me because I like to mingle and have friends from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Many times I think young women are initially nervous about someone different than them until they get to know you. But its the getting to know you part that is the key, not just drivebys to your local nightclub, bar, etc... Thats not enough to establish who you really are in their eyes.

My 2c FWIW,

Derek

Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
This is at least the 6th different account for this guy, and he always asks the same questions every time. He's mental.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This is at least the 6th different account for this guy, and he always asks the same questions every time. He's mental.
I ended up doing a bit of searching and found quite a nice bit of information about this topic at hand. A disgruntled Indian user (who I assume you think is me) whined about California and said all sorts of bad things about it. I have been to California before. Beautiful state (I was in San Diego) and excellent people. I would not say negative things about the state at all.

And I give thanks to all people who attempted to help.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This is an interesting question which would be good to hear from some of the ladies on.

There are definately a lot of races intermingled throughout SoCal. But honestly I think much will depend on where you socialize primarily and who is there. For example I am partly hispanic with a hispanic sur name. Yet the majority of my friends where I grew up in SoCal (South Bay) were white. It was just the demographic in that part of SoCal at the time. Then I spent the majority of my early single years around mixed races in college. I dated asian, white, hispanic and persian women through college and beyond. Finally I met my wife at a church I attended which had mixed races and she is white. Our kids look white for the most part, unless in the sun a lot.

However there are parts of SoCal which are more into their ethnicity and they like to hang out with their own race. You even have churches which are 'hispanic' churches or Korean. That always seemed a little odd to me because I like to mingle and have friends from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Many times I think young women are initially nervous about someone different than them until they get to know you. But its the getting to know you part that is the key, not just drivebys to your local nightclub, bar, etc... Thats not enough to establish who you really are in their eyes.

My 2c FWIW,

Derek
Ya but what I really worry about is will a White, Hispanic, or Black male have a major advantage over me if lets say we tried to date a Persian female?

Like are most women in that part of the country like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California