Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Be Swiss - tunnel.
That would cost upwards of $10 billion and give us the honor of ownership of the most expensive bridge (tunnel) to nowhere in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Mineral King ski area was proposed by Disney in the 1970's. It's east of Three Rivers in what is now part of Sequoia National Park.

Ditto what everyone else has said about it being totally unfeasible to build a new road across the Sierra's. Not to mention ruining one of the most fabulous areas in the entire world.
A trans-sierra road wasn't planned for that as far as I know. Or at least I've not read anything about it.

There is an unpaved road in the southern part of Sequoia Nat'l Park you can (or could in the past) take off the end of a paved road and over to the east slope. I did this by myself in early 90's with a 2wd Mazda B2200 and five extra gallons of gas (I always bring extra gas when wandering back there). There was only one area I was concerned about below the crest. I took off on one of those "let's see where this road goes" trips and ended up on US-395 by a small lake. I'm not sure if it is Sherman Pass or not and the road may be closed to vehicles now. But it was quite a trip. Especially when I came over a ridge overlooking the Owens Valley. I remember some cactus up there along the road too. But anyway, a few people who state they think they have been across the same road have said it was either closed or is now only passable with a very good 4wd.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
There are plans:

Minaret Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
A trans-sierra road wasn't planned for that as far as I know. Or at least I've not read anything about it.

There is an unpaved road in the southern part of Sequoia Nat'l Park you can (or could in the past) take off the end of a paved road and over to the east slope. I did this by myself in early 90's with a 2wd Mazda B2200 and five extra gallons of gas (I always bring extra gas when wandering back there). There was only one area I was concerned about below the crest. I took off on one of those "let's see where this road goes" trips and ended up on US-395 by a small lake. I'm not sure if it is Sherman Pass or not and the road may be closed to vehicles now. But it was quite a trip. Especially when I came over a ridge overlooking the Owens Valley. I remember some cactus up there along the road too. But anyway, a few people who state they think they have been across the same road have said it was either closed or is now only passable with a very good 4wd.
There is no road in the park east of Mineral King, paved or unpaved.

Sherman Pass road is well south of the park, is paved, and crosses the Sierra, through the south Kennedy Meadows, down Nine Mile Canyon, to 395.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California