Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times

Advertisements

There is not permanent way to get from the Eastern side of the Sierras to the western side/Central Valley and the rest of California btw Bakersfield and Lake Tahoe. The most logical connection would be from Shaver Lake to Bishop. Cost asside would it be geographically feasible and have plans of such been considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
A. It is all protected Wilderness, no road will happen
B. Economics don't warrant the high cost of maintaining such a road
C. Don't you think that it is pretty cool that you can walk due north from Sherman Pass for hundreds of miles without having to cross a road, staying in magnificent wild country the whole way? That is pretty unique in this country.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,265 times
The only place where such a road would make sense is further north, from Mammoth Pool Road to Mammoth Lakes. This road has been proposed several times in the past, most recently in 1960's, when it was found that the level of traffic on the road would be too low to justify its costs.

To the south of Mammoth Lakes, you can't build a road because there are no east-west passes lower than ~11,000 feet. Any road that goes to that altitude would only be passable 3 months/year, unless you also spend a lot of money on round-the-clock snow plowing in winter. (Which we can't afford even for an existing nearby crossing - Tioga Pass. By the end of winter, the road gets buried under 6-10 feet of snow.)

Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
No. Costs would be too high. I think the minimum elevation to transverse the crest in that area is close to 11,000 ft, and for a considerable distance. The road wouldn't be open until late June unless 15 ft of snow was removed for about 45 miles between Huntington Lake and Lake Sabrina. Hwy 168 ends at Huntington Lake. The road going east from the end of 168 is closed during the winter. There is a small section of Hwy 168 between Lake Sabrina and US-395 on the east slope.

When I lived in Fresno I heard stories that Disney planned to build a resort in one of the valleys west of Lake Sabrina. This was before the J Muir Wilderness was created. And that quite a few people were against it after seeing how much trash Disney's visitors leave behind at Disneyland and convinced the legislature that Joe and Jane Sixpack and their three children would be throwing soda cans out of their station wagon windows on the way from Fresno to the Disney resort. I never found any information about connecting the two sections of Hwy 168 (the west section was Hwy 41 back then) or the legislature getting involved, but I read a short article in an old magazine that Disney was considering opening a resort in the mountains near Bishop in the 1950s, I think.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
No. Costs would be too high. I think the minimum elevation to transverse the crest in that area is close to 11,000 ft, and for a considerable distance.
The location I mentioned above is special, because you can traverse the entire width of the Sierras without going much higher than 7,000 ft.

Further south, you are correct. I have personally seen snow fields at 11,000 ft just two weeks ago. With limited snow plowing, such a road might open in June and then close again in November. And it doesn't make much sense financially to build it. There's almost nothing there. Agriculture east of the Sierras has been devastated ever since Los Angeles bought out all water rights in the area. Winter tourist traffic from Southern California is served well by the 395.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
The location I mentioned above is special, because you can traverse the entire width of the Sierras without going much higher than 7,000 ft.

Further south, you are correct. I have personally seen snow fields at 11,000 ft just two weeks ago. With limited snow plowing, such a road might open in June and then close again in November. And it doesn't make much sense financially to build it. There's almost nothing there. Agriculture east of the Sierras has been devastated ever since Los Angeles bought out all water rights in the area. Winter tourist traffic from Southern California is served well by the 395.
You would have to go to 9100 feet to get over the crest near Mammoth Lakes. The town itself is right around 8,000 feet and it is close enough to Hwy 120 that there would be no justification to build a highway over the top of the Sierra Nevada in that area.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
You would have to go to 9100 feet to get over the crest near Mammoth Lakes. The town itself is right around 8,000 feet and it is close enough to Hwy 120 that there would be no justification to build a highway over the top of the Sierra Nevada in that area.
You would need to extend the existing Route 203 about 2 miles west of the town (going downhill most of the way) till you reach the middle fork of San Joaquin River (elevation: 7600). From that point, you'd just follow San Joaquin River downstream and downhill till you emerge out of the mountains near Fresno.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM

203 reaches a little over 9,000 feet and still close to 120. It would be similar to Hwy 108, although constructing a highway in the area you mentioned would be difficult. There isn't much to work with other than solid granite most of the way.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
Mineral King ski area was proposed by Disney in the 1970's. It's east of Three Rivers in what is now part of Sequoia National Park.

Ditto what everyone else has said about it being totally unfeasible to build a new road across the Sierra's. Not to mention ruining one of the most fabulous areas in the entire world.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Be Swiss - tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California