Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

434 posts, read 849,198 times

Advertisements

Here's Forbes latest ranking of the best large and small cities in the US for jobs and business. CA did not make the list. Out of 50 spots we couldn't get even one of our cities on the list?

The Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I think the cost of doing business (employee homes, salaries, taxes) are what did CA in. I was surprised to see Seattle on the list, despite the lower costs and lack of income tax, most are much smaller cities not on the coasts, in fact only Portland and Seattle made it out of all east and west coast cities
unless I missed one on the east.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
I find this great news. Now, how can we convince the millions of corporations doing well in this state to pack up and leave for boring pastures?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
Here's Forbes latest ranking of the best large and small cities in the US for jobs and business. CA did not make the list. Out of 50 spots we couldn't get even one of our cities on the list?

The Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Newsflash: San Francisco and San Jose vanish into Ocean, emerge in Australia.

Reading: hard for some. The CA after the city means its in California. Just fyi.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I find this great news. Now, how can we convince the millions of corporations doing well in this state to pack up and leave for boring pastures?
While I appreciate your stance on many things, you can't be serious with this statement.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
While I appreciate your stance on many things, you can't be serious with this statement.
But he can! More than one member of this forum has said California will benefit from banishing all those job creating businesses.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I thought at least Vernon would have made the list seeing as all that money they have been spending on commercials lately.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But he can! More than one member of this forum has said California will benefit from banishing all those job creating businesses.
I can see some attractive aspects of going to a pastoral / ag economy and a much lower population level. That said, it would be very painful to achieve. We're going to regret all those middle class jobs we've run out of this state.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Admittedly I was born in the wrong century, that said, did you ever watch "The Stand" or read the Andromeda Strain?

The idea of a dramatic decline in population thrills me.

As Ed Abbey said, "This would be a great country with 30 million people."

The landscape of this state, like most western states is beautiful beyond words, laying roadways and towns on it, did not help it any.

When I was a kid there were 10 million people in the state. There was rural land between Los Angeles and DisneyLand.

The County I live in, had 80,000 people, today it has over 300,000 people.

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell"

Another quote from Ed Abbey.

I spent most of my adult life in Nevada, very few towns, very few people, provided you had enough fuel and food you could spend weeks without seeing anyone.. I like that.

So yes, If I were Doctor Evil I would hold the world hostage with my laser and force Urban Californians to relocate to say, Texas.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
There aren't millions of corporations doing business in the US let alone CA. The number for CA would be about 1/100th of that - LOL funny.

As to the second half of the comment - the California of Jan & Dean and the Beach Boys is dead. The CA of blonde surfers and adventurous entrepreneurs is long gone. CA in 2011 is a very different place. The opposite of boring is interesting . Yes CA in 2011 is "interesting" but in the Chinese sense of the word (which is not a good thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California