Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 PM

301 posts, read 571,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Record highs could be set as heat wave intensifies over Dallas-Fort Worth | Y! News - Dallas - Yahoo! News

AccuWeather.com - Weather Video - Dallas Heat Wave (http://www.accuweather.com/video/1093271323001/dallas-heat-wave.asp?channel=weather_news - broken link)

Texas sees power outages in brutal heat wave - Weather - msnbc.com

Truer words couldn't not have been spoken. I'm an outdoors person in my free time. How the hell does one enjoy that?
You get used to it. Plenty of people biking and running and generally outdoors everyday here. Would I like it to be cooler? Of course. But it's not completely prohibitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 PM

301 posts, read 571,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Right...because a couple of years ago, we weren't reading about power outages and rolling blackouts all over California.

Btw, I have not had a power outage or a rolling blackout EVER in 22 years of living here. Some people have, I'm sure, but not here.

Spending time outside? Amazing how my brother's asthma all but disappeared when we moved here from LA.
We had rolling blackouts here. In the WINTER. So far none this summer. And none the past four summers I have been here.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,411,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I have lived in both. California (at the coast) is a bit too cold for my liking. I miss warm nights.

Texas is a bit more vibrant in a lot of ways. California is California..but there are a lot of problems here too.

When it comes time for me to buy a house, if I'm still working for my company and can work remote, I might seriously consider buying in Texas.

California isn't living up to my expectations, even though I really wanted to be here.

I am going to give it more time to be sure. It's a tough call.

But honestly, I miss "weather" in California. Weather is one of the things that brings people together and gives them something to talk about in the rest of the world...
I too have lived in both states and each of them have many great things to offer. The amount of ignorant comments made by allegedly "tolerant" people here never ceases to amaze me.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Most companies that locate to Texas aren't growth companies, they are established corporations with slow growth and they have operations throughout the country ( in fact, often throughout the world). Energy, especially historically, is the one sector that Texas has done well in both in terms of home grown companies and attracting high-growth companies.

Regardless, I'm not sure why you are giving me a list of corporations in Texas...I just stated that Texas can be a good place for established corporations to relocate to.... I also never implied these don't add economic activity to Texas, they certainly do, but they add economic activity at a cost. These companies are relocating to Texas for tax benefits and tax breaks, but this denies Texas needed tax revenue.

I'm not sure what you are address here, I never suggested that Texas lacks "tech jobs", in fact I explicitly mentioned some tech jobs that can be found in Texas. Texas has tech jobs, but the tech jobs in Texas tend to be low on the tech ladder.

California is "high on the list" today for the same reason it was in the past, namely it has a supportive social institutions. California still receives the majority of VC deals in tech, vastly more than Texas. And this is just the point, Texas is the sort of place you locate your boring operations to because you can get cheaper labor, but its not the sort of place where you do your R&D/innovation.

Why would Texas be the next major hotspot? For what? What is Texas doing to make it the "next hotspot"? Nothing, the very thing they use to attract businesses to the state (low taxes/tax breaks) prevents them from funding the sorts of social institutions that would make it a "hotspot".
Comments like these are why it is so difficult to take you seriously.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:17 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,105,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Comments like these are why it is so difficult to take you seriously.
Feel free to actually address something....

Old 08-07-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Feel free to actually address something....
That depends, will you continue to pass off conjecture and opinion as fact?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,413,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
You get used to it. Plenty of people biking and running and generally outdoors everyday here. Would I like it to be cooler? Of course. But it's not completely prohibitive.
You get used to it??? How do you get used to dying? Some of the people who died in the heat were the very people you are speaking of; one football player and a biker somewhere (it may not have even been Texas but still hot like Texas). People who were biking and running. How does one get used to dying?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You get used to it??? How do you get used to dying? Some of the people who died in the heat were the very people you are speaking of; one football player and a biker somewhere (it may not have even been Texas but still hot like Texas). People who were biking and running. How does one get used to dying?
California never has heat waves or heat related deaths ever. This only happens in Texas.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
That depends, will you continue to pass off conjecture and opinion as fact?
Feel free to refute anything I stated...

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 AM

Yeah, how exactly does one get use to 100+ temps with high humidity? It would be one thing if it was a rare event, but its a common occurrence in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California