Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 33,978 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal to sleep in car? As one night in Carlsbad, California at 2 am I was awoke by police and made aware of the law and asked to move on. I'm a professional who works for the government. I own a home in California. I have been doing this for over 40 years as I surf and like to get up early and actually enjoy getting away a night. I use to be able to sleep right on the beach. What is odd is they said it was illegal camping. That’s what I want to understand in the law. I spent $30 in the local restaurant that’s has live music outside by fire which I do every Friday night and walk back to my VAN. I actually own and pay property tax to CB. I had no camping equipment in the van and no food. My stay over would be about 5 hrs. I get up at 6am to head to the beach.. I was at a train station parking space as many cars are left all night and no signs indicating no sleep over’s. Where do you find the law on this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
I don't think there's a state law that prohibits it. Some municipalities do prohibit it. In others there may not be a law against it but you may still get harassed.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
No camping laws usually include sleeping in vehicles except for designated campgrounds, RV parks and rest stops and are up to each municipality and jurisdiction.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 24,565 times
I just had a VERY similar experience which inspireed this internet activity. Sleeping in truck-woke at 2am- threatened with a ticket. Unfortunately I did find the ordinance for Carlsbad at: [url=http://www.municode.com]Home[/url] which says that our activity is illegal.

8.36.010 - Purpose.

Public streets, public parks, public beaches and other public property within the city should be readily accessible to residents and the public at large. The use of these areas for camping can interfere with the rights of others to use these areas for the purposes for which they were intended. Camping can also endanger the public health and the environment when camping-related waste is disposed of improperly. The purpose of this section is to maintain public streets, public parks, public beaches and other public property within the city in a clean and accessible condition and to protect the public health and environment by ensuring that camping occurs only in those areas where appropriate provisions have been made for handling camping-related waste.

8.36.020 - Definitions.

As used in this chapter:

(a)
"Camp" means to use camp paraphernalia in an outdoor area or to erect or occupy a camp facility.

(b)
"Camp facility" includes a tent, hut, tarpaulin, or other temporary outdoor shelter used for sleeping or living quarters. "Camp facility" also includes a camper, motor home, recreational vehicle, or other vehicle while parked and being used for sleeping or living quarters.

(c)
"Camp paraphernalia" includes cots, beds, hammocks, sleeping bags, bedrolls, portable cooking equipment and similar gear.

8.36.030 - Unlawful camping.

It is unlawful for any person to camp in or upon any public street, public park, public beach, or other public property, except in areas which have been specifically posted and designated for such purposes.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Technically, if you are not caught "sleeping" they can't ticket you. If you get up to open the door you are no longer sleeping.

Get some good curtains and don't answer the knock.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Technically, if you are not caught "sleeping" they can't ticket you. If you get up to open the door you are no longer sleeping.

Get some good curtains and don't answer the knock.
As one who lives in a van, "curtains" are one of your first giveaways. There are techniques to living this way ... not real hard stuff to figure out or conform to ... but I don't discuss too much too often in too much detail lest I give my opposition any edge to discover me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California