Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:15 PM

16 posts, read 63,707 times

Advertisements

Since I've narrowed down my choices to those areas, was hoping I could get a feel from different feedback, opinions, etc. on what life is like in either place.
If I lived in Sacramento, I don't want to live right in the city, but renting a small place somewhere quiet and less hectic. A low cost of living area, but not a lot of drugs and crime. lol

Every town I've been to has a different feel or vibe. I'm not sure if the Chico/Paradise area would be too dull for me. I'm in my 30's, single, so was wondering if it's mostly college kids in one town, and 60+ in Paradise?

Some of that was answered in another thread, but the more opinions and feedback, the better.

thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,977 times
The real difference is big city vs small city. If you need to go shopping in the middle of the night in Butte County your options aren't going to be much more than WinCo in Chico. If you need an odd part for an appliance or your car chance are you will have it in your hands today if you are in Sacramento. In Chico your options are to drive to Sacramento and pick up the part if you want it immediately, or special order it from Sears and wait for it to arrive.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 PM

thanks, KC6. I get it. I'm from Atlanta, but have enjoyed living in much smaller towns where one has to order almost everything off the internet, or drive far to get something, so that doesn't bother me.

I like the slower pace of small towns, but would prefer to be near other 30-something singles.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

194 posts, read 505,858 times
Hi! I think you would fit well in Chico. My wife and I just moved here (lower 30s) and we're loving it. It's nice not having to fight traffic on a freeway. The area is gorgeous, nice people, a lot of opportunities to meet people, a cool local music scene, and good options for buying a home (we just bought one in Paradise).

Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilji1 View Post
thanks, KC6. I get it. I'm from Atlanta, but have enjoyed living in much smaller towns where one has to order almost everything off the internet, or drive far to get something, so that doesn't bother me.

I like the slower pace of small towns, but would prefer to be near other 30-something singles.
I'm not so sure you're gonna find many people in that demographic. Chico is a combination of teen/early 20's kids and people that are married and raising families.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 PM

thanks both for your input. I'm looking at all my options. Since I can't visit Ca. towns first, it's not easy.

I might consider towns in between Sac and Chico, too.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
thanks both for your input. I'm looking at all my options. Since I can't visit Ca. towns first, it's not easy.

I might consider towns in between Sac and Chico, too.

I kind of doubt if Yuba City or Marysville will meet your requirements. I'd say Chico or Sacramento seem like your legitimate options.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM

880 posts, read 1,799,736 times
Quote:
Since I've narrowed down my choices to those areas, was hoping I could get a feel from different feedback, opinions, etc. on what life is like in either place.
If I lived in Sacramento, I don't want to live right in the city, but renting a small place somewhere quiet and less hectic. A low cost of living area, but not a lot of drugs and crime. lol

Every town I've been to has a different feel or vibe. I'm not sure if the Chico/Paradise area would be too dull for me. I'm in my 30's, single, so was wondering if it's mostly college kids in one town, and 60+ in Paradise?

Some of that was answered in another thread, but the more opinions and feedback, the better.

thanks everyone
Have you considered Davis? It's a small college town like Chico but closer to Sacramento.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Having lived in Sacramento for 18 years, made many business trips to Chico and with family we visited fairly often in Paradise, my inclination would be the Chico/Paradise area. But I we're in our 60s (that dreaded age group, unless you're in it). I think it has it all over Sacramento for scenery and safety.

However, if night life is a prime motivator, you can trade some scenery and a lot of safety and tranquility and opt for Sacramento and environs.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
I'm 35 and love the Chico area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California