Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

For one thing, come out on a visit and see what you think, just by being here and wandering around as a tourist you'll get a better idea of what life is like here compared to reading what cranky people on the internet have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffaniiee View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to this blog site and I am desperatly wanting to move to california. life here in michigan can be a little frustrating sometimes. 2 days ago we were dying in 100 degree weather and today its low 50's. lol, not the best thing to wake up too. but other than that, i really want to live in southern california and closer to the beach. ( LA, SD, santa monica, long beach etc) and i really want peoples inputs. what do you love about your area, whats the best one you know of, price ranges, bad stuff & good stuff. Yes, i know it is expensive, and some people hate it and blah blah blah, but i really want to hear from people who love where they live and can be realistic. thanks!
ok, so you want to hear from people who love Los Angeles, don't you think it would be a good idea to hear both sides?

There are two sides to everything and everyplace. Los Angeles has great weather, that can never be denied and it is very pretty (most areas) The people can be friendly and outgoing, but in some areas very phoney. It sounds more like you want to have someone tell you a fairy tail so you can keep on dreaming, which, btw, is ok.

Now, the real question, what do you do for a living and how are you expecting to support yourself? The unemployment rate isn't as bad a Detroit but it isn't far behind and the cost of living is much higher (except for utility bills) How many times have you been to So Calif and for how long? YOu don't just ups and move cause you think the weather is really nice or you don't like cold winters etc. Do you have a dependable car and money saved (you will need at least $5000 to even think of a move).

I don't think most very young people and it sounds like you fit into that group have any idea what we are talking about when we say, very expensive?

NIta

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffaniiee View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to this blog site and I am desperatly wanting to move to california. life here in michigan can be a little frustrating sometimes. 2 days ago we were dying in 100 degree weather and today its low 50's. lol, not the best thing to wake up too. but other than that, i really want to live in southern california and closer to the beach. ( LA, SD, santa monica, long beach etc) and i really want peoples inputs. what do you love about your area, whats the best one you know of, price ranges, bad stuff & good stuff. Yes, i know it is expensive, and some people hate it and blah blah blah, but i really want to hear from people who love where they live and can be realistic. thanks!
This isn't a blog site.

You shouldn't posted in the LA & SD forums or you'll just get a bunch of NorCal ppl replying to you.

The most foolish thing to assume is that CA is the solution to your problems. Lots of ppl move here from the flyover states thinking they can do just that and find themselves with other, different problems.

I have found that flyover state ppl often adapt poorly because they're used to the COL being extremely cheap where they're from. They can afford the COL here in CA but it's as if it's a hard-nosed matter of principle for them to not have to pay more than they think is "reasonable" for a given good or service and in CA with the higher COL, they have to do just that. They have to vent their frustration by using words like "outrageous" and "ridiculous" when describing the COL.

You want to live next to the beach but you haven't considered that others may want the same. Read on the law of supply and demand. That law will compound the COL frustration you will have when you see the cost near-beach housing. You'll use words like "outrageous" or "ridiculous".

Come to CA if you're willing to be realistic and know that you're going to trade your MI problems for CA problems and your Detroit problems for LA problems.

Luxuries you enjoy now:
  • being around ppl who speak English
  • being around ppl who have first-world standards of cleanliness and hygiene
  • sharing the roadway with ppl who more likely have drivers licenses and obtained such from driver's education

You'll miss those luxuries if you move out to CA, where you'll find the answer to all your problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California