Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,602 times

Advertisements

Derek, your pictures are just stunning, they blow me away. That moon picture should win awards.

I never did get up to the Bristlecone Pines, although I've known about them for a zillion years. I think you would love Death Valley, you'd go nuts with your camera, the colors are amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Derek, your pictures are just stunning, they blow me away. That moon picture should win awards.

I never did get up to the Bristlecone Pines, although I've known about them for a zillion years. I think you would love Death Valley, you'd go nuts with your camera, the colors are amazing.
Thanks, Yeah I've seen some pretty crazy pictures of Death Valley and the dunes - other worldly looking.

Check this one out by Zack Schnepf: Death Valley Dream | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zschnepf/4436357393/ - broken link)

And Badwater after a rain: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zschnepf/4443377066/in/photostream/ (broken link)

Derek

Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post

Agreed. Those are some fantastic photos!

You should definitely hit the bristlecones some year. The view of the Sierra Nevada from there is stunning.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I truly love the Eastern Sierra. Over Labor Day my father and I went backpacking up above Tom's Place (near the Sherwin Summit off of 395). Backpacked into the Hilton Lakes, and it was absolutely gorgeous. We were there too early for any hints of fall color in the Aspens, but I can only imagine what it's like now.

Oh, and the fish were biting like crazy ...
Tom's Place and the surrounding area is excellent.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
This front is really cold so the leaves shall be orange in no time. BRRRR

Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
The timing of this thread could not have been better, since a road trip to the area is set for Oct. 24-28 and looking at the pics whets the anticipation. Up 49 through the Gold Country and Sierra Foothills to see a few places not yet visited. Will skip Yosemite this time, and the usual man made tourist stuff, the main destination is Calaveras Big Trees SP. After that will move north and eventually end up at Lake Tahoe. Back home down 395, and time permitting, a side trip or two west. Am baffled by earlier remarks about 395 not being scenic. No matter how many times I have driven it, it is a journey that I never seem to tire of, and always enjoy. Snow in the mountains yesterday, Tioga and Sonora passes were closed. Am a bit concerned about being a bit too late to catch the best fall color, not sure about how the early cold spell and snow will affect the trees.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
The timing of this thread could not have been better, since a road trip to the area is set for Oct. 24-28 and looking at the pics whets the anticipation. Up 49 through the Gold Country and Sierra Foothills to see a few places not yet visited. Will skip Yosemite this time, and the usual man made tourist stuff, the main destination is Calaveras Big Trees SP. After that will move north and eventually end up at Lake Tahoe. Back home down 395, and time permitting, a side trip or two west. Am baffled by earlier remarks about 395 not being scenic. No matter how many times I have driven it, it is a journey that I never seem to tire of, and always enjoy. Snow in the mountains yesterday, Tioga and Sonora passes were closed. Am a bit concerned about being a bit too late to catch the best fall color, not sure about how the early cold spell and snow will affect the trees.
Blackshoe, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the color still left. I have gone through the Eastern Sierra the past two year during the first two weeks of Oct. and the usual early color spots were really nice like Bishop Canyon. But June Lake was still green for the most part while other places were only partially turned. Just as there are places which turn color early there also those which turn late, Yosemite Valley for example.

If you browse flickeriver and look at the dates the images were taken you will see the time variation. Plus many are saying this year looks a bit late in certain regions.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California