Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,205 times

Advertisements

I was traveling down CA coast and some local dude tried to persuade me to buy land "way out there" in rural area of Humboldt County (no paved road in sight). He was interested in "helping" me to buy land there... below market prices! (which are hella high in Humboldt--listen to him and local weed growers want to sell land cheap, cause they ain't putting no land on MLS, they don't want outsiders coming and sniffing around). "You never need to work".. of course, because I'd be a....weed grower, selling my stuff though him (of course)

Being allergic to weed (or any smoke) and not familiar with anything that has to do with weed business, I had to politely decline.

I was informed, in the attempt to persuade me, that it's soooo safe in Humboldt county rural neck of the woods, that I, a single female, would not need any kind of firearm for self-protection... yeah, away from them sheriffs, at the end of my dirt road, out of sight of everyone.
Moreover, I had been told that I "don't need any kind of county permits"--not only in Humboldt, but anywhere in general... cause I guess the inspectors ain't coming around down the dirt roads. That I should build a shack to live in with my own hands and dig my own, un-permitted septic (which would be a work of art in itself worth Metropolitan museum, I guess, if I really did that)
Was told I should get a big loan if I don't have enough cash... and never pay it back--cause forclosures ain't ever happening for real.

Sounds like a plot for a horror movie to me...a sequel to "Deliverance", perhaps?
Headlines like "Body found in a ditch belonged to a local grower" come to mind. I dropped that person like a hot potato of course. I wonder does anyone live like that for real--no permitted structures, not paying to the bank, not getting foreclosed and...not owning a gun (especially in Humboldt, where home invasions are not unheard of). Just doesn't sound real.

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-22-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Not a direct answer to your question but this came to mind:

No serene ending for 'Buddhaville' - latimes.com

Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Yeah, I know, one day you wake up and see your friends came to visit you... wondering why they chose to fly in on a copter and wear uniforms that say DEA on them

From the look of houses in the picture, "Buddahville" looks like NYC compared to that dude's land area.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:09 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Sounds like deliverance meets dumb and dumber.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Yeah, let me spend all my cash on that land...and wait for the feds or be shot by a neighbor... that dude would be the one who'd do me in, after the plants grew, probably. "No one needs a gun there" yeah. If I found myself alone, on a large parcel there... I'd have a loaded gun at arm's reach day and night.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:56 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
So how much was he asking?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 AM

You want to buy it? :X

Free cheese is found only in the mouse trap.. any land sold below market value will have something wrong with it (like in that Buddhaville case, "illegal subdivision"). If you want cheap land to grow weed.... might as well just grow on BLM or NFS lands for free lol, no seizure. It didn't come to the point of me checking the exact price--the dude is a wacko, I could have asked the exact price of land for the lols... They got that land for $500/acre, 50 or so thousands of acres, back in the 80s.

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-23-2011 at 12:20 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 AM

296 posts, read 614,282 times
I have a hunch that you would enjoy reading Budding Prospects by T.C. Boyle

Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
I have a hunch that you would enjoy reading Budding Prospects by T.C. Boyle
"It tells the story of Felix, a 31-year-old directionless self-proclaimed quitter who joins up with a handful of ne'er-do-wells to grow marajuana in a "Little Appalachia" in California's Mendicino County. The get-rich-quick scheme soon goes awry. Felix finds himself at odds with a sadistic rural sherrif. The man who bankrolled the operation, a shady smooth-talking Marin County huckster, is not the man Felix thought he was. His hillbilly neighbors all seem to know what he's really up to on the isolated farm. Felix and his farmhand friends live in a permanent state of paranoia and fear."

Old 10-23-2011, 10:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Was told I should get a big loan if I don't have enough cash... and never pay it back--cause forclosures ain't ever happening for real.
I think it's possible your contact has indulged in his product too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: