Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Im pretty liberal and pro-legal immigrant and I celebrate diversity and all that, but this is ridiculous imo.

Quote:
CALIFORNIA ­— Three California high school students who donned American flag T-shirts for Cinco de Mayo presented a possible “substantial disruption,” and school officials were within their authority to ask them to remove the shirts, a judge ruled Tuesday.

District Judge James Ware granted the Morgan Hill Unified School District’s motion for summary judgment, ruling that administrators satisfied the Tinker standard and did not violate the students’ First Amendment rights by prohibiting them from wearing attire deemed a potential risk to their safety.
IMO, this was a missed opportunity by this judge to send a clear message to all parties involved that anyone who thinks the US Flag is "offensive" and a safety risk needs to get a grip.

Quote:
“If (school officials) believe that in 2009 there was evidence that students would become embroiled in some kind of dispute over race or nationalism, then it behooved them not to permit Cinco de Mayo celebrations to take place,” Becker said. “Instead … they permitted one group to present their message and then disallowed my clients from presenting their message, which, by the way, was not intended to refute or to contest or to challenge the interests of the students who were celebrating Cinco de Mayo.”

To the allegation that the school usurped one set of students’ rights in favor of another’s, Ware ruled that “school officials have offered substantial evidence that all students whose safety was in jeopardy were treated equally.”
EXACTLY.

Quote:
The students plan to appeal the decision to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Becker said.
Good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im pretty liberal and pro-legal immigrant and I celebrate diversity and all that, but this is ridiculous imo.

IMO, this was a missed opportunity by this judge to send a clear message to all parties involved that anyone who thinks the US Flag is "offensive" and a safety risk needs to get a grip.

EXACTLY.

Good for them.
I agree, Good for them for appealing this. But, I also wish them Good Luck with uber liberal 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

This is a disgrace.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,699,458 times
What a disgrace.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times
Well said 18 Montclair. If the school perceived the US flag tee shirts as such an issue, did they NOT fly the US flag on Cinco de Mayo?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
School uniforms. Problem solved.

Or change the damn school dress code to prohibit any article of clothing other than plain solid color shirts and pants. WTF is wrong with this society. Go to school and learn something you stupid ****ing morons. Same goes for the idiot parents of these walking mouth breathers

All the more reason to have a state issued Id proving you are a US citizen to vote or receive state and federal benefits.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
This is what happens when you let millions of people into the county who have no intention of assimilating into the existing culture.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
PC and race-pandering run amok.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
If memory serves me, at least one of the kids who was wearing the U.S. flag is Mexican-American.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

EXACTLY.

Good for them.
If you say it is rediculous can you imagine how the right feels? I am middle of the road on some issues and think this judge is nutty!!! What was he thinking?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What was he thinking?
Probably something like "What is thy bidding, my illegal alien master?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California