Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

What a scathing indictment.

Quote:
We were assured that the price for the project would be in the $33 billion to $43 billion range for an 800-mile rail system to be complete by 2020, and that any claims to the contrary were absolutely without merit.

However, with the recent release of yet another updated business plan, the authority has proved all earlier statements to be false.

The now-proposed 520-mile high-speed rail line is expected to cost nearly $100 billion.

When Californians compare the claims made in 2008 with this most recent business plan, we see a significantly shorter line, a cost three times earlier estimates, no private investment secured, and unrealistic ridership numbers.

Californians deserve honesty from their government, and based on this new - and drastically different picture - the voters should be given the opportunity to confirm whether they are still on board.

When the Legislature returns to Sacramento, I am introducing a bill to send this project, and the $10 billion state bond it would require, back to the voters. It's their money, and they deserve the final say.

Send high-cost high-speel rail back to the voters
I concur 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
From the article:

Quote:
When it comes to ridership estimates, high-speed rail continues to live in a fantasy world. The updated plan calls for more passengers to ride California high-speed rail than rode passenger trains in 2008 in the entire country, including the fast trains on the East Coast, where populations are larger and more dense. The authority believes between 23 million and 34 million passengers will ride when the system is fully established in 2033, more than four times the number of passengers that now fly between San Francisco and Los Angeles annually.
Who ever would have accepted that as a reasonable forecast?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Doesn't seem that far off, really. I never fly to LA. Almost no one does any longer. Flights usually end up around $150 when bought in advance after all the fees, plus LAX to LA is a pain. That's about what it costs at 50 cents a mile to drive. It takes at least three hours in travel and strip-search time to get to and from the airport, so it's not any faster than driving.

The SF to LA ticket is supposed to cost $50 last minute, and that's in 2030 dollars. It's targeting people who drive as well as who fly, and there are many many more people who drive than fly. If (and it's a big if) they price the tickets at 13 cents a mile in 2030 dollars, I really don't see that as being an unreasonable estimate.

It still should absolutely go back to the tax payers. The taxpayers sold $30 billion, and it turns out it'll cost three times that much.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Well , I hope you cancel...all your $$$ will be redirected to the Northeast....

Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
i would love to reverse my vote if given the opportunity. while i'd love to take this train from LA to the bay area for work or pleasure, the cost is just too high not to mention that financing will be nearly impossible with the new sticker price.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well , I hope you cancel...all your $$$ will be redirected to the Northeast....
Hate to break it to you, but:
Quote:
WASHINGTON – Congressional negotiators have agreed to eliminate funding for high-speed rail.

"We did well on some things and not so well on other things," U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Tuesday.

Schumer said he and other supporters of high-speed rail would try to revive funding in a transportation reauthorization bill that will move as separate legislation.

Although there will be no new money to develop high-speed rail along the Northeast Corridor or from New York City to Buffalo, Amtrak will receive $1.4 billion, with $681 million targeted for capital improvements.

Budget deal drops funds for high-speed rail

Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hate to break it to you, but:
Actually they changed there minds....and Mica said any future returns of HSR $$$ will go to the Northeast.... So we will be getting all your $$$...

Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Actually they changed there minds.
Between yesterday and today, no they didnt. Sorry.

Quote:
and Mica said any future returns of HSR $$$ will go to the Northeast.... So we will be getting all your $$$...
Empty promises and false hope.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Between yesterday and today, no they didnt. Sorry.

Empty promises and false hope.
Well the News i'm getting is different....it also comes from a different source...and you under estimate the power of this region...

Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Well the News i'm getting is different....it also comes from a different source...and you under estimate the power of this region...
And you clearly have delusions of grandeur about the 'power' of the nation's 3rd most most important region, which in reality, is now behind the South and West as far as population and GDP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California